1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago
    What does Christmas mean to you?  What is the true meaning of Christmas?  How have we lost the meaning and essence of Christmas?  Do you feel that Christmas has become too commercialized?  How can we return to the true essence of Christmas?  What are you doing to put the CHRISTMAS in Christmas?

2. Zelkiiro profile image84
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

1. Just as it was in the days of the Celts observing the Winter Solstice, Christmas is a time of togetherness as a family unit, although most of us don't have to worry about dying of frostbite anymore.

2. See above.

3. Not really. Despite the disgusting consumerism rampant in our culture, being together with family for the holiday is still a high priority for most.

4. Way too commercialized.

5. Boycott businesses during the holidays to teach them their place? I don't know. That's the curse of Capitalism--it sucks up everything sacred and reduces it to a "BUY MORE CRAP NOW" corporate-whoring disgrace.

6. Going to spend time with my family tonight and tomorrow, of course.

3. HollieT profile image90
    HollieTposted 2 years ago

Christmas doesn't really have any intrinsic meaning for me, other than spending time with family, which I do anyway. Over the past few years, however, I've come to the conclusion that Christmas is about helping people through a difficult time when they have no-one else to turn to. Whatever problems an individual/family may have, they are massively enlarged at Christmas.

Yes, it's way too commercialized- to the point of ridiculous.

I usually send three Christmas cards to neighbours (the ones I like) This year, I've sent them a flyer about our newly opened food bank, with directions or how they can donate. They can like it, or lump it.