jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Favorite Halloween tricks.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image94
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

We often forget that Halloween  is TRICK or treat time. When I was a kid our biggest fun was playing tricks on people. One trick we loved so much was the thread spool noise maker. My Mom would take all her empty thread spools and carve notches around the top and bottom rims. The she would glue one end of a long string to the center of the spool. The thing is, you wrap the string round the spool, hold the spool up to a window of someone's house, then pull the string all the way down. The sound is quite loud and scares the people inside.  That is a pretty innocent trick. My Dad told us that when he was a kid, he and some friends put an outhouse up in a tree by tying a rope around it and hauling it up. What was your favorite trick on Halloween?

1. CatherineGiordano profile image94
      CatherineGiordanoposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I play a trick on the little kids who come to my door on Halloween.  As soon as I open the door, I hold out my basket and say "trick or treat"  They get a very confused look on their face. Some even start to give me a treat.  Then I tell them I am just joking and give them extra candy.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image94
    Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago

The photo was taken by me in Fallon, Nevada.

3. tillsontitan profile image89
    tillsontitanposted 2 years ago

Halloween has always been a favorite of mine but its always been treats, the only tricks we play are on family.

4. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 2 years ago

I came from a small town of about 4,000 (at that time) in the Ozarks, and we kids were allowed to go nearly everywhere we wanted to at night. My favorite prank occurred when we girls were in junior high, which in our town wasn't too old to trick or treat. My friends and I walked from our country neighborhood on the east side of town to the ritzy neighborhood in the middle of town, about two or three miles.
    A plumbing company was situated on the main road there, and had a fenced-in yard full of old plumbing equipment, including at least 50 to 100 commodes. On our way back, we discovered that these commodes had been moved from the plumbing grave yard and placed in rows marching across the street. Traffic was completely blocked and had to be rerouted around the block, and we had to walk around them. To us it was hilarious, but it wasn't so funny to the local police who quickly figured out who had done it.
    Johnny (his real name) and his sophomore gang were rounded up, given a stern lecture, and put to work restoring the commodes to their original resting place.
    The incident was the talk of the school the next day, and a sheepish Johnny and company admitted they got another punishing from their daddies when they got home after that Halloween prank.