jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Beggar's Night: Does anyone else have this in their area?

1. Stove And Home profile image92
    Stove And Homeposted 2 years ago

I moved to Ohio recently. And I've found out that Beggar's Night (the night before Halloween) is the night they reserve in the state for trick-or-treating. Does anyone else live in a state where they do this?

I am still confused as to whether trick-or-treaters will still come around on Halloween.

I don't know why Beggar's Night came about, but I gave out candy to about 75 trick-or-treaters tonight.

What has been your experience?

1. SmartAndFun profile image91
      SmartAndFunposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm in Texas and have never heard of this. We'll have trick-or-treaters show up at our door tomorrow.

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image88
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm in Ohio and I know that beggar's night was going on before the 1950s, according to older folks here. I remember also Penny Night until the 1970s - Kids went out to collect small change for UNICEF on the night before beggar's night.

Iowa has beggar's night, according to the news. In Des Moines, city officials said that in the 1930s, kids vandalized houses in Oct. 31, so Parks and Rec decided to have beggar's night before Halloween and monitor all the neighborhoods. No Trick or Treat allowed there on Oct. 31.

I don't know why we began the Ohio tradition. Some news reports say it's just a regional thing. I didn't know that kids are supposed to tell a riddle before receiving treats! -- I wasn't ever permitted to go out for Trick or Treat as a child.

Stove And Homeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. Good to know other people know about this too.

I guess I won't be having anyone coming for candy on actual Halloween night.

2. ladyguitarpicker profile image84
    ladyguitarpickerposted 2 years ago

We have Halloween the day before for I think its from 5:00 to 8:00 pm.  This way we know what time the kids are out. I'm in Florida. I have never heard of Beggars Night.

3. Shorebirdie profile image86
    Shorebirdieposted 2 years ago

I've never heard of it.  When I lived in Detroit, we had "Devil's Night" on the 30th where there is supposed to be things like TP'ing houses, etc and other harmless pranks.  But, it turned into something sinister with people burning down homes and doing violence.

Stove And Homeposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oh my goodness, that does not say anything good for the stereotypes of Detroit!

4. junecampbell profile image84
    junecampbellposted 2 years ago

Then what happens on Halloween if trick or treating is changed to the 30th?

5. Millionaire Tips profile image88
    Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago

They changed it to the day before Halloween, so that the adult parties wouldn't be on the street partying and driving when the little kids were out .It's a safety thing.

1. junecampbell profile image84
      junecampbellposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oh I guess that makes sense.

working