jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Traditional Thanksgiving Meal Traditions vs NonTraditional

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 months ago

Most Americans celebrate Thanksgiving with a turkey as the main event. I know some that hate turkey and eat chicken,ham,pork, etc.
    Some people also don't have formal sit down dinners like in their childhood.They camp out, bbq  or deep fry the bird.

Do you have a traditional feast or non traditional one. Tell us about it.

1. Live to Learn profile image81
      Live to Learnposted 11 months ago in reply to this

We've been traditionalists forever, but this year it's either leg of lamb or a couple of rib eyes. Haven't decided yet.

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 11 months ago in reply to this

Historical family tradition was a turkey many times accompanied with a ham. Much later going to a smaller gathering at a brother's home that tradition followed suit for many years. However, a few years back one brother a former butcher introduced an alternative now and then - boneless rib roast. M'm . . . M'm . . .

2. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 months ago

We are doing the non traditional route and going out to a fancy wedding catering hall. Its expensive,dressy and there are no leftovers. The food is buffet style so I'll be exercising all week! smile

3. Michaela Osiecki profile image87
    Michaela Osieckiposted 11 months ago

I'm going pretty non-traditional, like always. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving anymore, so it's probably just leftovers.

4. lisavollrath profile image88
    lisavollrathposted 11 months ago

I suppose the feast at my house would be considered non-traditional, since it doesn't include the cooking of dead animals. But I'm pretty sure that if you removed the turkey from a traditional Thanksgiving table, and made a few tweaks to substitute non-animal ingredients in some of the recipes, you'd end up with what we're having at my house.