jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

Need suggestions for Thansgiving...

1. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

For the first time in 13 years, my kids are spending Thanksgiving (or any other) day with their Dad all together in Florida. That leaves me all be my lonesome. I've already spoken to folks about working at a local food bank for part of that day, but any other suggestions on how to make it festive?

1. 0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

i would still make some Thanksgiving-ish stuff for myself...maybe a new pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread recipe. and i like Rebekah's idea of inviting a friend or two to share it with (over some steaming cups of black coffee).

1. lrohner profile image84
        lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Great ideas. I'll make mine a cup of espresso with just a little shot of sambuca! smile

2. Sally's Trove profile image98
      Sally's Troveposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That's a real shocker, isn't it?  Having all kids go to your ex for a major holiday.  I remember when that happened to me.  The bottom of the world fell out.  What was I, chopped meat?  So much for over the river and through the woods.  Not to mention that they've got sunshine, beaches, palm trees, and the absence of snow and sleet.

So, you can go outside your self or inside your self to make this holiday a blessing. Either is good. 

Holidays spent alone are great for watching eye-yanking movies (great purges), fixing the foods you love that nobody else will touch with a ten-foot pole, giving your thanks, and calling it a day while being grateful to be on this earth.

Or, reach out, letting friends know you are alone.  Your friends care about you and will be very happy to invite you into their lives, so happy that you may be very surprised. Who knows, among those friends and the friends and relatives of theirs, who is living with a situation like yours?  This could be a time of self-discovery.

The food bank is also a great idea.  Although I've got a large family whose members make it a point to get together on holidays, some put their energies into food banks and meals for those much less fortunate.

I say that this time of year is for being together with family if we can be, but also for giving to those who can't be, or accepting that we ourselves can't be, and moving on.

Be liberal with the sambuca.

2. 0
    Justine76posted 7 years ago

sad  maybe....... write a hub? hang out with us, we love you!!!

3. 0
    lynnechandlerposted 7 years ago

Irohner I feel your pain. Luckily this year we are all gathering at my mom's for Thanksgiving but with the kids (one in FL living with his father and the other about to zoom off to AZ with her fiance) this year will be a little down for me.

If you have friends in a similar situation, why not bring everyone together for a pot luck meal at your place. With your knowledge of food I am sure you can make it a very festive event and it could turn into a yearly thing.

4. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 7 years ago

I don't have friends in a similar situation, but you both have given me an idea. Why can't I create a gourmet meal for the food bank? Huh! With the economy the way it is, they expect a huge gathering this year. Thanks guys!

1. rebekahELLE profile image92
      rebekahELLEposted 7 years ago in reply to this

that's really very nice. you don't want to be alone. sad
      maybe you could invite a few friends over later in the afternoon for dessert?

5. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

I agree with Lynne, make it a Thanksgiving with friends.  You have plenty of time to invite.  Make it potluck if you don't want to do all the cooking.  Sit back & enjoy time with your friends.

6. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

OOps, we posted at the same time.

Great idea, gourmet meal sounds wonderful!

7. 61
    JennHRLICposted 7 years ago

Hi all,

My name is Jenn, I’m an ambassador for Here’s Life Inner City NY. We’re an organization dedicated to providing help and hope to the poverty-stricken families in New York City. Share your Thanksgiving dinner with a hungry child here in NYC by giving to Here's Life Inner City's annual "Box of Love" campaign.

A Box of Love contains all the trappings of a complete holiday meal for a family of six - actually enough food for several days of inner-city standards. What’s more shocking is all of this will only cost you $36.71.

Please donate by Nov. 4th so that we can help feed 7,000 families. To learn more, click here:  https://give.ccci.org/give/View/2584194

Thanks for your support,
    Jenn from HLICNYC

8. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 7 years ago

Honestly, if you can, just wait until the kids are back and have a late Thanksgiving together.  My family did it all the time when my mom couldn't be there.

9. rmcrayne profile image95
    rmcrayneposted 6 years ago

So what's the verdict lrohner?  What did you decide?  This old thread popped up on a Thanksgiving hub by Marye Audet.  I was looking for a picture I had seen of cupcakes decorated like turkeys for my brother, who is a therapist in a skilled nursing facility.

We have T'giving every year with my friend Josie.  It's almost like my SC family feast.  I also bought Cornish hens for home for that weekend.  We also love Dunbar Macaroni from the Mac and Cheese leftovers. 

Here in San Antonio there is a big free T'giving meal served at one of the huge arenas. I think it's named for Henry B Gonzales.  It's so popular, lots of military and other volunteers, you have to sign up well in advance to volunteer.  Wouldn't it be great if all good causes had more than enough volunteers?!

10. heart4theword profile image62
    heart4thewordposted 6 years ago

I say just be sure not to spend it alone.  Another thought is to find a widow, or maybe some people in a retirement center who have no visitors for thanksgiving.  I'm sure there would be someone who would like some company:)  Still making you some goodies for you to enjoy too, would be good!  Happy Thanksgiving:)