jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Santa VS the Baby Jesus...

1. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 6 years ago

Is this really what its all come down to?  Last night, at my PTA meeting, I was completely shocked to hear that Santa has taken over Christmas and that we should all just accept that.

Listen, I understand religion causes war, but our school is a CATHOLIC school.  How can we take out all the Catholisicm when our school was proudly and purposely built to be Catholic.

When we discussed the school Christmas play and how we would be demonstrating what Christmas is like around the world, we were flat out told that we would not be able to portray an accurate picture of OUR Christmas because it involved the Baby Jesus in the manger and we may offend some people.  So now they just want to go with Santa.

SO what about the people who were raised without Santa?  Like me?  Should I be offended that Santa is being touted as the root of Christmas in my country?  Don't I have any rights here?

As if I would ever cause a fuss about Santa, but I'm just trying to prove a point.  I think we have really lost it nowadays.  We have lost meaning and spirituality, and all we do is BUY BUY BUY to try and create a magic at Christmas that seems to be ebbing away as the years pass.

What do you all think?

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree people have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas and I am amazed that the Catholic church was even discussing Santa we all grew up with the fable, but we certainly did not replace Jesus with Santa. Santa has been around for years, what is happening to people? sad

2. pylos26 profile image76
      pylos26posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Since the concept of christmas is actually a lie...perhaps it should be demolished. The people could be thankful to nature for a bountiful harvest and sing and dance around the maypole.

2. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 6 years ago

Its hard to accept that my children are being refused the right to know both sides of the story.  In my opinion, it is a direct assault on my freedom and I hate it.  I am not a fanatic, I just want to be afforded the same rights we afford other religions in our own country.  Its incredible how we have undermined ourselves in this country.

I let my children believe in Santa because its exciting and fun for all of us, but I don't want them to be so focused on him that all they think about is presents and what they are getting, which, in essence is what santa is all about.  A very huge marketing tool, so to speak.  I would like to balance out the hype with what I was raised with, the birth of Jesus. 

But now I feel as if it is becoming obsolete.  and if even a catholic school is willing to reject the true meaning of Christmas, we are all in trouble!

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You might want to look up the "Winter Solstice" before you get too bent out of shape - you know - like thinking baby jesus was actually born on 25th December.

The true meaning of christmas?...... Sheesh... sad

1. chambersgirl21 profile image61
        chambersgirl21posted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's true, Christmas never had anything to do with Jesus. Its all pagan frome the roots up.

3. 0
    A Texanposted 6 years ago

I thought the Pope was Santa, they both have really cool hats!

4. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 6 years ago

look, I never said that any of you had to believe in what I believe.  I'm not looking for any kind of validation, and I don't like to get caught up in fights that no one can win.  Not even you Mark.  I believe what I believe.  I have a feeling, thats it!  I know you have a feeling too, and thats fine with me.  Go with that.  I can't explain how i feel, and sometimes it even feels weird and foreign to me.  Actually, I question my beliefs more than I like to admit, but for some reason, I always come back to my roots.  I don't take the Bible literally,I am offended by the words written in it to be honest, but to me, there is more to it than that.  and thats it.  I got nothing for ya Mark. drag me and my beliefs through the mud, it doesn't bother me at all.  Just try to be kinda nice aboutit smile