jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

It Looks Like Electronics are lower in prices these days

1. manlypoetryman profile image72
    manlypoetrymanposted 6 years ago

I have noticed lately...that it looks like Electronic gadgets/ accessories/luxury items are at much lower prices this Christmas compared to years in the past. Hope this trend continues...however...I'm wondering if the quality is still there.

This weekend I saw a DVD player (never heard of the brand) for $19.99...and I see in ads there are other deals to be had.

2. manlypoetryman profile image72
    manlypoetrymanposted 6 years ago

Well...when compared to prices of utilities/ gasoline that have gone up in my area this time from a year ago...Electronics definitely seem lower. Groceries seem higher...Clothes seem about the same...in price comparison to last year.  Lot's of people seem to be scoring on computers/Blue Ray...etc. and getting good deals. Just trying to get a feel for the overall economy...cause it looks like there are plenty of shoppers out this year...same as last year...and I know this a hard hit year for a lot of folks.

3. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

The same pricing trend in Australia. Electronics are the lowest prices I have ever seen.

1. manlypoetryman profile image72
      manlypoetrymanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey Earnest...Yeah...Over in Australia too, huh? Do you think they have falsely marked-up in price for some time...or is it that they are semi-a luxury item...and the price has been adjusted in the current economy?

4. The10DollarMark profile image59
    The10DollarMarkposted 6 years ago

All technology (electronics or not) goes down in price over the years. It's only natural for new technology to start off with a high price, but become cheaper as  processes to create it become more efficient.

(This doesn't apply to collectibles. Those go up in price based on nostalgia and history)

5. MikeNV profile image74
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

In order to sell cheaper you remove the features and you strip out the warranty.  Nearly all electronics come from cheap labor in Asia.

You get what you pay for.  Manufacturers do not build electronics to last.

So are they really cheap?