jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

If you don't believe in the holidays do still take the off?

1. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

If you are in opposition to the Christian belief system do you still take the time off or do you work because you don't recognise those dates as holidays?

1. OregonWino profile image86
      OregonWinoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

So make it about something that you do care about.  If you dont feel like you want to celebrate the actual holiday...use the time to do something you do care about.

2. Freeway Flyer profile image86
      Freeway Flyerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'll take any holidays that they want to give me.

2. 0
    TMinutposted 6 years ago

When it's a holiday I don't celebrate, I volunteer to work that day so the ones who want to, can. But many places are closed anyway so the opportunity isn't even there.

1. 0
      sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thats very considerate! When I was in the service we always made sure the people with kids were off for Christmas.

3. 0
    TMinutposted 6 years ago

Most places I've worked try to do that for those with children, it shows me I'm in the right place to work whether I'm the one with kids at the time or not.

4. 0
    sneakorocksolidposted 6 years ago

I knew that my nonreligious friends wouldn't turn down a perfectly good holiday!smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
      Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You have friends?

1. Stimp profile image79
        Stimpposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Uh ooooohhhh!

5. 0
    lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

of course I would, what a question? lol who wouldn't? lol

6. What's News profile image59
    What's Newsposted 6 years ago

If you take them off I think you should probably be affiliated with that belief system. However, if it is something that is recognized nationwide i.e; Chistmas then i guess you have no chose.

If it is something that only your employer offers then I think you should use your best judgement. If it isn't for something you practise or is not something you believe strongly in then personally I would go to work.

7. bobbyandbeans profile image60
    bobbyandbeansposted 6 years ago

Are you saying that paid days off from work are only for those of a particular religion?  This person that believes one thing gets 8 days off, this other person that believes something else gets 13, and this person that doesn't believe much of anything gets no days off?  That doesn't sound right!

It would be interesting if people could just pick and choose their days off as "holidays" and even swap with other coworkers.  For instance, someone that doesn't believe in Christmas might volunteer to work that day in exchange for a different day off.

The bottom line is that everyone should get equal benefits, opportunity for time off, and everything else.  How they choose to spend that time is their business.