What is it about the holidays that inspires us to do really stupid things in the name of peace and love? I have no idea but every year I see people doing the dumbest things between late November and January 1. Have you ever done the following?
1. Ate too much food you didn't like because someone you see once a year made it just for you?
2. Drank so much you couldn't stop yourself picking a fight or calling every ex who hasn't changed their phone number since the last time you were were afraid to wake up and remember the night before?
3. Raised your stress level by spending too much money on gifts that you really didn't need to buy?
4. Gone to parties that were really lame because you felt a social obligation and subsequently suffered from lack of sleep and a hangover that seemed to last most of December?
5. Stopped exercising to allow time for numbers 1 - 4?
If you want to love the holidays again try the following:
1. Enjoy your holiday food gifts. Stop eating them the minute you feel full.
2. Repeat after me: alcohol in moderation is fine. There will never be a day in your life that excessive alcohol won't make worse.
3. Pare down gift giving to only those friends and family members you like. Remember, you don't owe anyone a gift. Use the extra cash and time to get a massage or go to a yoga class. A stress free body is a healthy body.
4. Parties are for celebrations with friends and family members you care about. Does the neighbor's annual block party fit that description? What about the party you find yourself planning an exit strategy for before you arrive.
5. Take a walk. Run outside all by yourself and clear your head. Start your day out with a little exercise and you might find a little peace during the holiday season.
I love Christmas. I love food and parties. But I get exhausted when I watch others approach Christmas maniacally. It's not a competition, folks. So relax and enjoy yourself. Quit sabotaging your chances for peace and love over the holiday season.
All of these traditions are just part of the holidays, right?
Holidays, especially Christmas, benefit the merchants of the world, no more, no less. If you love someone then give them gifts all year as a true surprise, not once a year because they expect gifts. Good post.
As an affiliate marketer - bring on Christmas and the mad gift buying spree!
I think it is not the holidays that are stupid, the people if they choose to become one. There are no stupid holidays because it is part of one's culture. Celebrating holidays is cultural. That is what they are raised for, their family traditions and what they live for. But your advices are good.
I agree with her, your advices are good but your 1-5 is something I haven't done during christmas, first there is no food that I hate to eat, love ones always prepared and cooked good food... When I drink I dont do stupid things, and I don't force myself if I don't have enough money to buy gifts...
I believe that stupidity happens when we go beyond what is normal and healthy. If we do things to hurt us, like the buying spree, for instance, to a point of draining our resources, or eating beyond what our stomach can contain, then it's us who becomes stupid, not the tradition. But in fairness, your observation is correct about people forgetting their limits. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!
I hate #3. Usually it's very hard to contain your budget.
#1 is my biggest mistake each year, I really can't help myself but eat all that wonderful food!
But I for one have a good motivator to curtail all that excessive holiday noshing: a cruise! (I need to go down to 120-130 pounds) I'm using it as a New Year's Resolution this year!
by Karen Szklany Gault2 years ago
Do you have a winter holiday tradition that brings you the most joy each year? On or around December 6th, St. Nicholas Day, my family (husband and daughter) and I trim our tree while listening to our favorite...
by A Troubled Man4 years ago
I would like to hear your ideas in regards to changing the name of the "Christmas" season to something more appropriate so as to lose the concept of gaining converts and power in the name of Jesus.Perhaps, we...
by brokensoul5 years ago
I am prepared to get beaten up for this, but the reason I'm here is because I have no one I can confide in and I'm feeling anxious, depressed and bitter. My life was turned upside down two years ago and while I...
by Lgali6 years ago
Wishing You All A Happy Holiday Seasonand a Prosperous New Year
by Ryan Hupfer5 years ago
That's right Hubbers, with Halloween just around the corner and with Thanksgiving next month, you know that it's about time for everyone to be focusing on the holiday of all holidays, Christmas. Very soon millions upon...
Copyright © 2016 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.