jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Presents for Seniors

1. 0
    Jeanette Bremnerposted 5 years ago

I have started writing a hub listing possible presents for Senior's and I'd love some more ideas...if you have a moment and would like to add to my list that would be great! Here are a few to start - have more but thought there may be other fun things I haven't thought of smile 

•    Photo montage for the wall of your family.
    •    Subscription of a magazine they might like to read.
    •    Theatre passes.
    •    Movie theatre tickets
    •    A helicopter or plane ride.  This is fairly expensive but works if the family clubs together to get it.
    •    Vouchers for your time to do something special at their request such as a drive somewhere for a day out.
    •    Hobby classes - Art  or craft classes .

1. joyfuldesigns profile image80
      joyfuldesignsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What about taking them to a musical, or big band concert?

2. Rpenafiel profile image74
      Rpenafielposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A simple cell phone with emergency response system is a very ideal gift for seniors as this can be very helpful to them. This particular cell phone can both serve as a communication and safety device for them so they’ll find it practical for sure. I also wrote two hubs about some ideal gifts for seniors, you can also check them.

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Gift baskets for seniors from amazon, includes information about the year they were born.

2. FaithDream profile image85
    FaithDreamposted 5 years ago

The best present for seniors is to give them your time. Spending time with them.. Listening to them share their stories.
    If they have difficulty getting around easily, offer to run errands for them.

3. SandyMcCollum profile image85
    SandyMcCollumposted 5 years ago

Get them to talk about themselves, tell you stories of the past. It's a gift for the giver and the senior.

4. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 5 years ago

Hate to disapoint here but "Most" of us can drive ourselves, see our own movies and read as we need to or wish to, and....
    most of us are active enough to play softball, run, work-out,play Golf and walk the course, make love with our spouse's and have a beer or two...

not all of us are Home bound or in need of a nursing home visit!

give me a break man, good grief!
    having a son or daughter who shows up because they want to, not because they need money, or want they grand kids baby sat or bought for... would be the best present!!!!!!

1. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

dutchman, I'm not a senior (yet), but I'm glad to see your post.  I've known lots of seniors in my day, and a whole lot of them have been the ones taking care of "half the rest of the world" in all kinds of ways.  My mother was in her seventies and had Rheumatoid Arthritis, but she was still taking care of people (including babies).  She used to say, "One thing about being older, and not being able to do some things the way you used to, is that you're exactly the same on the inside - only you can't do some of the things that you wish you could."  (She was referring to her arthrititis.) She would then add, "The trouble is that people don't realize you're the same inside as always.

I had a friend in her nineties, and that lady would walk a mile and a half in February to get to a local store.  She was volunteering, taking care of her eight-room house (until she was 94), on the Internet with her granddaughter and great grandchildren.

My ideas for gifts for seniors would be gifts that let them know you know they're still the same "them" as they've always been.   smile  (Of course, don't give a skate board to a person with arthritis, or something like that; or don't give salty foods to the person with blood pressure issues......)

5. R.S. Hutchinson profile image84
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 5 years ago

a subscription to NetFlix or Blockbuster

6. kerlynb profile image93
    kerlynbposted 5 years ago

- family reunions

- gathering of friends

- trip to hot springs

- healthy, home-cooked, yummy dish

- massage

- board games

- time, company, and a nice chat over tea