jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Would you support Twitter, Facebook etc shutting down on Xmas Day?

1. Lady_E profile image83
    Lady_Eposted 4 years ago

Would you support Twitter, Facebook and other Networking Sites shutting down on Xmas Day? Maybe it would make people spend more time with family. Surely a day away from these sites wouldn’t hurt. Skype is available for those who have family abroad.

Some might ask “what about Muslims…?” But remember on Xmas day all Shops / Banks and many other places are Closed anyway.

1. paradigmsearch profile image91
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Social engineering by government decree. I don't even know where to start with this... So I wont. neutral

2. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Absolutely no support for that! What about the people who only have Christmas day to use Facebook and Twitter to stay in touch with family and friends. This includes the military and a whole lot of other people who have to work.

What if there is a major event or disaster?

No holiday, religious or otherwise should be a reason to shut down social networking.

3. wavegirl22 profile image49
      wavegirl22posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Lady_E -

For me, being Jewish and in NY,  Christmas Day usually is a day when a new blockbuster movie opens up and there are no lines to get into it. We usually top the day off with Chinese Food, though the last few years it has been a sushi meal! Banks may be closed but there is always the ATM and Blockbuster (in its hey day) always advertised that they were open 365 days a year. In New York you can always find something open no matter what day of the year it is. The last few years even supermarkets have opened for at least a few hours.

I guess that is part of the reason they call NY the city that never sleeps wink

And if they shut Twitter down .. I wouldnt know how to find you cool

4. TNBARTLEY profile image60
      TNBARTLEYposted 4 years ago in reply to this

No i would not support shutting down of any Networking sites on Christmas Day or any other holidays.  As for me personally i do not usually go on Networking sites on those days because i am always busy cooking up a storm in the kitchen preparing Christmas dinner and looking forward to spending time with loveones. smile

5. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Is Big Brother trying to control everyone’s activity? Maybe I don’t want to spend more time with my family. Maybe without social media sites, I would be sitting alone in a dark apartment and crying. Then again,  maybe not!

2. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 4 years ago

um you took the christ out of christmas .. lol, I wouldnt ask "but what of muslims" .. I would just think its silly.

These are all communication tools , i dont know about you, but i tend to communicate with my friends and family more on the holidays. we certainly dont get to ll be n physical proximity.

ill be happy to see all the pics of my little cousins and friends kids opening gifts (some  that I may even have sent) in nearly real time on facebook.

it only takes 30 seconds to glance at my phone or upload pics of our christmas ... dont think it will be hurting the festivities!

3. skear profile image93
    skearposted 4 years ago

I agree with Sunforged. 

Social media is a quick way to keep in touch with friends and family during the holidays. 

I can leave a quick comment on Facebook here and there without having to be tied up on the phone all day.

4. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

It's Internet based. Shutting down is ridiculous.

5. leahlefler profile image99
    leahleflerposted 4 years ago

I also agree with Sunforged. Our closest family is 3,000 miles away - without FB and twitter, we wouldn't be in contact with our family at all. The only way for the kids' grandparents to see them open presents is via the pictures we post.

6. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 4 years ago

You are forgetting that the Internet is a global phenomenon.

When I lived in Croatia in 1979-1984, December 25th was just a normal working day, with all offices, shops, banks etc functioning as normal.

I'm sure there are still many countries in the world where Christianity is not the state religion and where life will continue as normal on December 25th.

Why do you think it is necessary or reasonable to ask all the people living in those countries to pander to the wishes of someone who celebrates this festival if they themselves do not? Would you be happy for various online facilities to be unavailable to you because it happens to be the Solstice, or Diwali, or whatever?

Apart from that, what about people living in countries where the festival is celebrated, who hhowever have NO FAMILY and nowhere to go on December 25th! Presumably it doesn't matter to you that your suggestion might make them feel even lonelier that day, since they would not even be able to communicate virtually with others.

7. Lady_E profile image83
    Lady_Eposted 4 years ago

Ok... Everyone.

You've raised very important points...particularly for the Military.

My Twin must have posted this question.  smile

1. WriteAngled profile image91
      WriteAngledposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Tsk, those twins! Making trouble all the time...  smile

8. Kangaroo_Jase profile image80
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 4 years ago

Never hurts to ask others opines about life. For your question my own opinion would be no.