jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Homemade Christmas Gifts

1. laurathegentleman profile image85
    laurathegentlemanposted 4 years ago

What is your opinion on homemade Christmas gifts? I recently wrote a Hub on some DIY gifts to make for friends and family, but does anyone have any other great ideas?

1. TamCor profile image80
      TamCorposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I love to make presents at Christmastime!

This year, I'm making a "princess dress" for my 6 year old granddaughter.  She loves frilly, lacy things, so I picked up a fancy prom dress at the Salvation Army for a couple of dollars and took it all apart to use the fabric for her dress.

I didn't have a pattern, so instead of spending $10 or so on one, I picked up another dress in her size at the S.A. that was close to the style I wanted.  I took it apart and am using it as a pattern.

She'll have a really pretty dress for just a few dollars that she'll be able to play dress up in for a long time!  Plus, I get the enjoyment of making it, which I'm loving. smile

More ideas would be potholders and oven mitts made from scraps of fabric or old towels--those are fun to make, too!

2. Shadesbreath profile image90
      Shadesbreathposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I recently wrote a hub that is a total spoof of the Twilight series of books. It's hysterical and I consider it a homemade gift to anyone who actually likes to read. Given the nature of how this hub is really a tacit appeal for a read of the hub so innocuously mentioned, I don't feel pointing mine out in the same context is spammy or unjustified, in fact, quite the opposite (for those paying attention), just keep in mind that mine is not named Twilight, but "The Dim Gray Time Right Before Sunset" in keeping with its spoofy nature.

3. gryphin423 profile image80
      gryphin423posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I like to make homemade kitchen gifts like marmalades or chutneys, flavored oils, something I know they like and use. So many people have enough "stuff" I can't assume to know what they would want. Homemade gifts are much more personal I think.

2. 0
    sestasikposted 4 years ago

I love making Christmas gifts too! I have a hub up on how to make a memory or message jar. I'm considering doing one on easy envelope pillows, which I made for half of our gift list a few years ago. I've also made jewelry, embroidered fabric frames, painted magnets and more for Christmas gifts in the past.

3. Healthy Pursuits profile image88
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

I'll make some presents this year. I make a nice crocheted stocking cap that several friends have and like. One has asked for another. I wrote and framed a poem for a friend once, and she loves it (well, at least she says she does). Cooking and making festive pickled veggies are also fun for quick gifts during the season.