Santa Claus Why Not?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Dave Mathews profile image61
    Dave Mathewsposted 12 years ago

This may sound strange, it may sound stupid even crazy, BUT, even though I am 64 years old, I still believe in Santa Claus. I mean why not? If I can believe in God, and in Jesus, and in the Holy Spirit, If I can believe in Heaven and Hell, in Angels and satan, then;

What is so wrong with believing that there is a man named Santa Claus, who lives at the North Pole, has a sleigh, drawn by flying reindeer, who delivers joy and happiness to children throughout the world by flying around from home to home delivering one special gift per child on Christmas Eve?

Think about it for a moment. I and you can believe that God appeared to mankind as a little baby, and that when that baby grew up to be a man, that the man gave himself up to be crucified and by doing so erased man's sins. In other words God gave a gift to His children, so why cannot some old man do the same for children to bring them joy and happiness through the giving of a gift?

Maybe Santa Claus and believing in him is not logical, but is it any more logical to believe in God. Both exist and both give, for those who choose to believe.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dave I thought you were a priest or atleast a religious (from your hubs).. You should know this then.
      Santa Claus came after a saint - a bishop - the bishop used to help the poor and drop money inside their houses or that's part of it. Google the origins of Santa Claus and you might get it.

Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lobobrandon: I am definitely not a priest, although I am very religious and a "Christian". I do know the origin of Santa or Saint Nickolas I just like to go against the norm of today and believe that there is really a Santa Claus. I guess it is the child in me and Our Father God loves His children.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh I always thought you were a priest big_smile

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aww Dave, are you waxing politically-correct today, or just being funny?

There's much evidence that God exists, but none that Santa's real.  He woulda actually been seen by someone on a rooftop by now, and he never ever answered my letters.
      Oh wait----I never wrote him any letters....
      Darn.  Guess I'm just a bad girl.
      lol

Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Brenda what about Saint Nickolas? I don't see anything as politically correct in believing in Santa especially since I still have the heart of a child. My letter to Santa is at the North Pole already and I know he'll have no problem delivering my gift, a never ending love for my Lord Jesus. It's not a gift for me but one for Jesus as I am a giver.

1. profile image0

Eh, well...
          The "Saints" are no longer living, so they cannot pray nor deliver any message to nor for Jesus.   You have a direct line to God the Father through Jesus Christ when you pray, since Jesus is the only intermediary between God and man.  While we're alive, we can pray for someone who's living here on earth, but that prayer still has to go through Jesus and Him only.   Matter of fact, Jesus was God in the flesh, as we're told in the book of John.
          I understand that that's not the usual Catholic view of things, but it is backed up by the Bible.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image62
      Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People have actually seen Santa, no one has seen God (unless they were on acid and that doesn't really count.)

The worst thing Santa does to people he doesn't like is to put coal in their stocking.  If God doesn't like you, he kills you and maybe your family, sometimes 99.99% of the world's population if he's really pissed.  Even worse, he sometimes makes you live in Kentucky which is loaded with carp. yikes

1. profile image0

ROFL
        Ron you crack me up. 
        lol

2. calpol25 profile image59
        calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

hahahah!! lol

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Did you ever receive a gift, an actual gift from Santa, which wasn't ever handled by another human beforehand? roll

The belief in a god is just as irrational as the belief in Santa. Too bad you don't seem to understand that.

Both are lies to general masses for control purposes dictated by others.

1. gamergirl profile image84
      gamergirlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This.

3. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

I like the movie scrooge where he touched on these thoughts. The writer of that story was very clever. He wrote it for children but it is filled with mystery too.

4. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago
  5. Lindy's World profile image59
    Lindy's Worldposted 12 years ago

I believe in Santa!  Maybe the point isn't so much about Santa Claus being a living breathing person but what he stands for and all the miracles that do happen.  For me and mine Santa represents all the goodness that is in us and all the miracles that happen.  And Santa just a good way to make these thoughts more tangible.

6. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Four words in support of the plaintiff: "Miracle On 34th Street"
    I do believe, I do believe,  I do, I do, I do believe!

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Mighty Mom, we already know you're a religious fanatic, but don't make us informed that you're exceptionally delusional too? lol

1. Mighty Mom profile image79
        Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Exceptionally delusional?
        I didn't realize there were extremes of delusional, Cags!
        I thought you either were or weren't.
        Like either you are Christian or you are .... not.

I don't hide my delusions. They work for me.
        lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

tongue

2. Ron Montgomery profile image62
          Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

She's right, I've seen her delusions and they are SPEC-tacular!

7. Ron Montgomery profile image62
    Ron Montgomeryposted 12 years ago

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2U_PRSsE2Bg/TJzvkWJUPwI/AAAAAAAAAwU/YpecrxHc-LI/s640/santa_and_god.jpg

8. calpol25 profile image59
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

lol lol Love it lol

http://jasonberggren.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/jesus-santa-wish.jpeg

9. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 12 years ago

It's always fun to watch people take perfectly ludicrous subjects and discuss them with complete solemnity.

Not that this is such a case.. No, of course not.  Saints giving messages to invisible friends, no, that's all very rational and quite down to earth.

10. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I can'r, frankly, be arsed reading all the comments in this thread, but what do you mean Santa isn't real?
    Do kids not read this forum?
    I have believed in Santa since I was knee high to a grasshopper.
    And I am proud to be a believer now!
    Santa has done so much for society in general. Over the millennia, he has made sure deserving children were rewarded.
    Let's hear it for Santa Claus!!

11. calpol25 profile image59

I always thought santa claus was an alcoholic, I remember being a chid and getting an excuse that christmas was going to be cancelled because the elves were on strike as santa claus had been at the whisky again and the reindeer were trying to sober him up.....lol

1. Mighty Mom profile image79
      Mighty Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's entirely possible, calpol.
      Explains the cravings for sweets (cookies) and mass quantities of milk to coat his stomach for more whiskey!
      Also, early stage alcoholics are often workaholic overachievers.
      Santa sure fits that description!

1. calpol25 profile image59

Its definately true MightyMom it would answer a few questions... like you say he fits the description smile

12. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

There are actually millions of Santas.  I have always known this.  I knew because each year a neighbor farmer dressed up like Santa and passed out bags of candy to all us kids at the church party. Most of them looked nothing like Santa and I knew who they were under the cotton beards. It was all combined with Jesus and God and Moses and then there was Santa.  I understood that all were real and that occasionally adults dressed up to look like the saints and that was ok with me.  I didn't care whether or not the North Pole Santa was really there, becuz I figured he was, just like there were a thousand Santas around where I grew up.  I think that I still believe this way even after 20 Christmas Eves when I was Santa staying up until 3 am to get everything wrapped and arranged and decorated and surprises ready.  Now I don't do that and Santa doesn't bring stuff to this house.  But he visits.  He comes around.  I know he does.  big_smile

13. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 12 years ago

oh, and many of those Santas I met had had a few nips - their noses were often quite rosy even if it wasn't that cold outside!  and the scent of brandy and peppermint schnaps was quite the usual thing!

14. calpol25 profile image59

I bet its like a secret rule at santa school you have to like sweets, cookies, milk and alcohol to enter.... Then sit a exam on drink driving reindeers smile

15. That Grrl profile image72
    That Grrlposted 12 years ago

I don't believe in god(s), devils, hell or heaven but I do believe in Santa Claus. Believing in Santa Claus is like believing in people. We each bring meaning and happiness and even spirituality of our own kind to Christmas and Santa Claus in turn.

That's pretty much the same thing I told my nephew when he began to doubt Santa Claus (boys at school had told him there was no Santa) and didn't really want to leave that magic of Christmas behind. He understood what I meant and even now when he is in high school now he still has that happiness and that belief in Santa Claus.

That is lovely TG, and he kept the magic even now smile

1. Castlepaloma profile image77
        Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Saint Nick was real

How many of you believe in the red and white bearded Santa that was produce by COKE

Not the Santa that snorts white stuff up his nose by a straw

Or

Maybe I do

I know him very well the santa that snorts white stuff up his nose he used to live next door to me but his name was not santa then it was Sean......
          lol http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2007/11/23-End/evil%20santa!!.jpg

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
            AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's just scary.

No its sean he used to live next door to me but he sorted himself out now and looks more like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gTJMEP-c2fo/STqJ3BhG96I/AAAAAAAAIgk/uzRKGvyZKjg/s640/COOL+SANTA.jpg

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
                AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh God.
                That's even scarier.

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
            Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know this dude:  Insane Clown Posse-Skanta Claws

Yay I knew someone would know him xx

3. Reality Bytes profile image75

Merry Christmas

Remember.....I know where you LIVE!

Merry Christmas

Feel free to pop round will have the kettle on smile

1. Reality Bytes profile image75

lol  That is the caption below the actual photo, at least the one I know.  It is used for the video  Insane Clown Posse Skanta Claws

Oh well thats handy to know too sorry am a bit blonde today  lol

4. mega1 profile image80
            mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

gee, now, that's depressing!

lol depressing? its quite good smile

16. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://www.defense.gov/DODCMSShare/NewsStoryPhoto/2011-12/hrs_NORAD%20tracks%20santa.jpg
    http://www.defense.gov/imgHandler.ashx?h=285&w=427&img=/DODCMSShare/LandingPageFeatures/634586953722435815.jpg
    Santa absolutely, categorically exists! I do hope he drops by this year...

17. rainbowbutterfly profile image58
    rainbowbutterflyposted 12 years ago

I Believe in Santa Claus since I was 5 years old and keep waiting for my gift until now smile...Seriously, the joy that it brings to the kids that there is someone who is good and would share the goodies and fulfill their wishes when they are not naughty is heartwarming ....Today, there are now many  Santa in the world during Christmas and hoping all through out the year  although it may stress Santa Claus and would end him up bankrupt

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)