jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (29 posts)

Why is the expression Merry Christmas so offensive?

1. zzron profile image62
    zzronposted 5 years ago

People have been saying Merry Christmas for over 2000 years. Especially in the United States for over 200 years. Why has this expression become so offensive over the past few years? Does Merry Christmas offend you? If so, why?
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/3530230.gif

2. Pcunix profile image86
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

No, it doesn't.  It has zero religious significance, so why should it?

I AM a militant atheist and there are many things that DO offend me - creches on public property, 10 commandments plaques in courtrooms, religious mottos on our money and the pledge of allegiance  and more, but if you wish my "Merry Christmas", I'll respond in kind.

Merry Xmas!

1. zzron profile image62
      zzronposted 5 years ago in reply to this

By the way,  just to start off not to offend anyone, not on purpose anyway, just thought this would be a nice holiday topic smile

2. Xenos33 profile image60
      Xenos33posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm offended by the removal of the 10 commandments plaques in courtrooms, by the removal of the religious mottos on our money, by the removal of the of God the pledge of allegiance,  and more...

1. psycheskinner profile image81
        psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Being offended by the absence of things... huh.

How dare the whole world not cater purely to my beliefs!

I think some ardent Christians are getting a lesson in what it is like to be a minority group. 

Being not discriminated against and not excluded is the most you can ask for.

1. Xenos33 profile image60
          Xenos33posted 5 years ago in reply to this

?

What was unclear?

Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, then I guess our founding fathers would have really ticked you off..

3. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

If it offends someone then those individuals need to seriously get over themselves. lol

4. Pcunix profile image86
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

By the way, not everybody liked Xmas:  http://masstraveljournal.com/features/b … ned-boston

5. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

It isn't offensive, but neither is it offensive if some person or group decides to say something else instead. (BTW it dates from the mid-16th century, not the birth of Christ)

1. Pcunix profile image86

Good point.

I will often say "Happy Holidays", especially if I'm not sure that the person celebrates Xmas.  If they say "Merry Xmas" to me, I respond that way, but if I initiate, it's probably going to be "Happy Holidays" unless I know the person well.

2. zzron profile image62

Oh okay, my bad. LOL smile

6. Pcunix profile image86
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

By the way, zzron:  were you perhaps hoping for different thoughts from the terrible atheists?

1. zzron profile image62

Why heavens no Pcunix you horrible heathin. LOL smile You know I love ya brother! This topic just seems to come up this time of year and it has just always baffled me. What's the dang deal when it wasn't an issue even as far back as the 70s and before.

1. Pcunix profile image86

Do you see anyone here with an issue?

I see no issue.  I see the OPPOSITE issue - Christians being offended by my saying "Happy Holidays".

Perhaps THAT is the real issue?

1. zzron profile image62

No, I don't see any issues as of yet. I don't think anyone has any problem with Happy Holidays either. I think what I'm seeing is other opinions such as mine, which is what's the big deal?

7. habee profile image88
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I'm a Christian, and I don't get how "merry Christmas" can be offensive to anyone. When someone wishes me "happy Kwanzaa" or "happy Ramadan" or "happy Hanukkah," I'm not offended. I smile and say thanks.

1. zzron profile image62

Your just a sweetie pie habee!

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

+1

8. manlypoetryman profile image68
    manlypoetrymanposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas...To the PC Police!

What PC police?

All I ever see is people who are offended if you don't say Merry Christmas--as if it is compulsory.

1. habee profile image88
        habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, it shouldn't be compulsory. Many people's "Christmas" celebrations have nothing to do with Christ, and that's their right.

Did you even read any of the replies?

1. manlypoetryman profile image68
        manlypoetrymanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes...Do I now have to explain my reply to you?

And secondly...is that a pre-requisite to be able to post...that you have to read every reply. If so...we all got a bunch of reading to do!

9. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas!

And it's less than 4-1/2 days away... big_smile

10. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

Hanging ornaments from trees is so pagan. People who object to the term 'Merry Christmas' have to much time on their hands.

11. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 5 years ago

That's why this year I've opted to tell everyone Happy Kwanzaa. The response I get from most people is "huh?"

12. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I don't find Merry Christmas offensive.  I don't find Happy Holidays offensive either.  I don't find anything said in the spirit of good will offensive.

working