jump to last post 1-29 of 29 discussions (100 posts)

Christmas!

1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago

"And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth.

To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

And the angel came in unto her, and said, 'Hail, thou that art highly favored, the Lord is with thee:  blessed art thou among women.'

And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be.

And the angel said unto her, 'Fear not, Mary:  for thou hast found favor with God.

And behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.'"

(Luke 1: 26-31)

1. profile image0
      Virgil Newsomeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The first Christmas gift and the greatest!!!  big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Amen and hallelujah!  smile

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
          Woman Of Courageposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wonderful! I realize Christmas is gone, but what a nice thread smile Hello Brenda.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image86
      DoubleScorpionposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hmm...If we use the Hebrew calender, this puts the birth of Jesus around May-June. And if we go with modern calender we have the birth around Feb-Mar timeframe. I often wonder why December was chosen as the month to observe the birth of Jesus.

1. profile image0

I've heard many rumors and many reasons, but I care not.   It's named for Christ and it's about Christ and He is the reason I celebrate!

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good for you Brenda. And it is one of the most beautiful stories and wonderful reasons to celebrate. smile

1. profile image0

Merry Christmas Emile!

2. DoubleScorpion profile image86

Merry Christmas Brenda! smile

1. profile image0

Merry Christmas DoubleScorpion!

1. DoubleScorpion profile image86

You can call me Mark if you like. And have a safe and happy New years as well.

1. profile image0

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you Mark!

3. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The date was chosen by the Christian Church in the 4th century to coincided with the Roman winter solstice and the ancient pagan festivals that were already being celebrated.

It would seem that Christians might have been envious of those celebrations so they created one themselves so they wouldn't feel left out. It's never really been about Christ at all. smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
            Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

But I saw a copy of Jesus's birth certificate on Fox News!  lol

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
              Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Did Donald Trump bring it by?

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No - Rudolph flew it in special, along with Barack's.

2. Randy Godwin profile image93

Yep!  It showed Jesus was not really born in Bethlehem and was instead Italian!!  yikes

I thought he was a shortstop for the Montreal Expos.

1. Randy Godwin profile image93

There have always been many false Messiahs, Ron!  Don't fall for the fakes no matter how well they are at sports.  Satan knows your weaknesses!  yikes

2. profile image0

I suppose that is one way to look at it. I always assumed the church took major pagan holidays and, since the people were celebrating anyway, they wrote a scenario where the god they were recognizing with the festivities was replaced by the one God. Not trying to steal something, but attempting to incorporate their new faith into their  old lives.

The hold over traditions (yule log, christmas trees, mistle toe, etc) were added on to. We may have lost touch with their meanings as the church grew, but now that we have grown we are relearning them. I think it's nice. smile

3. profile image59
            lovinghim2-8-57posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with A Troubled Man. I also have an issue with people saying, "Merry Christmas....." Really....I don't want to do and say what others say...because I am a follower...I want to know what it means. So I investigated and found that.... mas....is for Mass...which is what catholics do when one dies....so some say..."Merry Christmas.." and that means happy Mass of Christ? I don't say it for that very reason......and I really don't like celebrating this holiday. Yes I am a Christian.....but no where in the BIBLE does it tell us to celebrate HIS birth. Every day I give thanks to GOD.....the ONLY GOD...for HIS SON JESUS who took my place on the CROSS.

2. Jerami profile image77
        Jeramiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If I remember right  ??  Was it Judas Daughter that wrote a hub on that? 

Pretty convincing to me that the birthday was around Sept. 22 or 29rh or something like that.

Good night and Mery Christmas/hollidays to you ALL

I know why they did it. But they could have used the correct timeframe and had just as much success.

2. profile image0

Merry Christmas Jerami!

3. Disturbia profile image61
        Disturbiaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

DoubleScorpion, the date was chosen to make it easier to bring non-Christians into the church by coordinating the church celebrations with already exhisting pagan holidays.  As church officials attempted to convert Romans to Christianity, many continued to celebrate the major winter holiday, "Saturnalia", which was a celebration that lasted a week, celebrating the "Birth of the Unconquerable Sun." This celebration culminated on December 25th with a celebration of the winter solstice.  Pope Julius I chose December 25th as the date that the birth of Christ would be celebrated with the hope that the choice of that date would be more easily accepted by pagan societies who had celebrations around the winter solstice.

Oh yeah, and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!

Yes, I know why they did it. But the same thing could have been accomplished if his actual birthdate would have been used. It might have taken a little longer.

In my opinion, by using this method it is in part why we have some of the arguments about what is celebrated this time of year.

There is alot of pagan customs blended into Christianity to allow for an easier conversion. And is seems to cause alot of confusion between those who don't know the history.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
            Mark Knowlesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Who's actual birth date?

There is no evidence of this majikal super being.

But the winter solstice is observable. There is a lot of confusion because it is all made up nonsense. Mostly by people who do not know the history - or lack of it. No history. No facts. Nothing.

Winter Solstice. Measurable. Recordable. Majick? Not so much. Hence the lol "confusion" lol with the "history" lol

1. profile image0

Whatever your reason for the season; Merry Christmas. May the sun of the winter solstice warm your back and your ham be juicy not dry. smile

2. EphremHagos profile image61
              EphremHagosposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Jesus Christ has deliberately unknown birth date (in the manger) but a knowable "birth date" in his unique death on the cross, as God's "life-giving Spirit" by whom he has the power to re-create all mankind in his divine image, or "source of life", signifying Jesus as LORD in an all-round "Christ's Mass" (the origin of Christmas).

4. capricornrising profile image60
        capricornrisingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I read some very good evidence some years ago (don't ask me to remember where now) that Jesus was a Leo (late July, early August).

The calendar was manipulated a number of times since then, and December 25 chosen more or less arbitrarily as I recall.

Doesn't matter in the end when we should celebrate His birth, as long as it remains the true reason for doing so.

3. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The gift God Gave me and you on the night Jesus was born was and is God giving of Himself to man, for the redemption of sin and the ending of death. I never wish to receive any other gift in my life because they would all pale in comparisson to this one.

Brenda Merry Christmas dear sister.

1. profile image0

Thank you my Brother Dave smile
        Merry Christmas!

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image74
          schoolgirlforrealposted 5 years ago in reply to this

hello Brenda, Merrie Christmas smile

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image74

Merry Christmas Dave, agreed smile

4. profile image68
      paarsurreyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Quran states the event of Jesus as under:

[19:17] And relate the story of Mary as mentioned in the Book. When she withdrew from her people to a place to the east,
      [19:18] And screened herself off from them, then We sent Our angel to her, and he appeared to her in the form of a perfect man.
      [19:19] She said, ‘I seek refuge with the Gracious God from thee if indeed thou dost fear Him.’
      [19:20] He replied, ‘I am only a Messenger of thy Lord, that I may bestow on thee a righteous son.’
      [19:21] She said, ‘How can I have a son when no man has touched me, neither have I been unchaste?’
      [19:22] He replied, ‘Thus it is.’ But says thy Lord, ‘It is easy for Me; and We shall do so that We may make him a Sign unto men, and a mercy from Us, and it is a thing decreed.’
      [19:24] And the pains of childbirth drove her unto the trunk of a palm-tree. She said, ‘O! would that I had died before this and had become a thing quite forgotten!’
      [19:25] Then he called her from beneath her, saying, “Grieve not. Thy Lord has placed a rivulet below thee;
      [19:26] “And shake towards thyself the trunk of the palm-tree; it will cause fresh ripe dates to fall upon thee.
      [19:27] “So eat and drink, and cool thy eye. And if thou seest any man, say, ‘I have vowed a fast to the Gracious God; I will therefore not speak this day to any human being.’”
      [19:28] Then she brought him to her people, carrying him. They said, ‘O Mary, thou hast brought forth a strange thing.
      [19:29] ‘O sister of Aaron, thy father was not a wicked man nor was thy mother an unchaste woman!’
      [19:30] Then she pointed to him. They said, ‘How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?’
      [19:31] He said, ‘I am a servant of Allah. He has given me the Book, and made me a Prophet;
      [19:32] ‘And He has made me blessed wheresoever I may be, and has enjoined upon me Prayer and almsgiving so long as I live;
      [19:33] ‘And He has made me dutiful toward my mother, and He has not made me haughty and unblessed.
      [19:34] ‘And peace was on me the day I was born, and peace there will be on me the day I shall die, and the day I shall be raised up to life again.’
      [19:35] Such was Jesus, son of Mary. This is a statement of the truth about which they doubt.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=30

Happy bith of Jesus.

1. capricornrising profile image60
        capricornrisingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm very moved by this. Thank you for sharing it.

5. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Brenda smile

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago

http://www.atcartlidge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/christmas-carp.jpeg

Merry Christmas Brenda

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image74

lol lol lmao!

3. profile image0

http://youtu.be/P0WIJw8JVeU

Merry Christmas Ron.

Ummmm, did you keep the receipt?

1. profile image0

I dunno what you mean Ron.  Didn't the link take you to the right video?

At any rate, I want to answer your question about a receipt.

I am bought and paid for with a price, the price of the blood of Jesus the Christ!   He holds the receipt in His hand and one day He will turn it in for final redemption!  Praise His holy name! smile

I'm sorry to wax so sentimental and long-winded.
        Well...no, I'm not either!
        Every person who replied here with a Merry Christmas has blessed me so much.  Every response like that is precious to me.  The trash collector guy wished me a Merry Christmas today and I loved it!
        My mother is in a hospital bed right now, and whether her body lives or dies, I know that she will Live again!  She and Daddy lived their "religion", they lived for Christ and to Christ and because of Christ.  In Him we live and breathe and have our very being.  And anytime I'm tempted to think of Christmas as just a holiday, I remember their legacy of Faith; and above all I remember the birth of my Savior, his life, the precious blood He shed for my soul, His resurrection that sent the devils running for cover and the angels singing and offered mankind the gift of eternal Life!
        I am truly Blessed!  And I pray for that for every soul.
        smile

http://www.carpnation.com/wp-content/uploads/christmas-gifts.jpg

Merry Christmas Brenda

2. schoolgirlforreal profile image74

sorry about your mom brenda. God bless and comfort you during this Holy Season

4. wilsomjohn profile image59
    wilsomjohnposted 5 years ago

Many Many Happy Christmas in 25 Dec.

Happy Child.............

1. profile image0

Merry Christmas wilsomjohn!

5. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas, Brenda!

1. profile image0

Merry Christmas habee!

6. Daniel Carter profile image92
    Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas, Brenda. I hope it's bright and rich with wonderful things.

And happy holidays to all, regardless of what we may celebrate.

1. profile image0

Merry Christmas Daniel!  smile

7. Hollie Thomas profile image59
    Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas, Brenda and all smile

1. profile image0

Merry Christmas Hollie!

8. iantoPF profile image86
    iantoPFposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas Brenda

1. profile image0

Merry Christmas iantoPF!

9. leahlefler profile image97
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas, Brenda. Here's a cute little video for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWq60oyrHVQ

1. profile image0

Totally adorable!  smile
      Also love the disclaimer saying "Based on a true story"! smile

10. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

smile

11. Hollie Thomas profile image59
    Hollie Thomasposted 5 years ago

Brenda, as you know I'm not a religious woman. But the link below reminds me of my dad, he passed away in 2007. A lovely song, and a big Merry Christmas from me to you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JRvOnJH7Vw

1. profile image0

Beautiful video Hollie!

12. rLcasaLme profile image53
    rLcasaLmeposted 5 years ago

I've written something about what is really the spirit of christmas. I think most people really missed the spirit of christmas. I hope we can get back to what really is the christmas spirit.
    Thank You for the greeting Brenda.
    Merry Christmas!

13. EphremHagos profile image61
    EphremHagosposted 5 years ago

The FINALE of Christ-mass, based on "the first and the last"-born from the Spirit-active, perfect and diacritical death on the cross, is by far greater in scope and content than its PRELUDE of one born in a manger. 

(Matt. 27: 50-56; Heb. 10: 19-25; Rev. 1; 5)

MERRY CHRIST-MASS!

1. EphremHagos profile image61

CHRISTMAS, coming from "Cristes Maesse" or Christ's Mass, means the combined birth and death of Christ giving rise to everyone's birth day! Therefore, let us all continue to rejoice in Christ's Mass by being "born spiritually of the Spirit" in his death on the cross just like Nicodemus did.

(John 3: 6-15; 19: 30-42)

14. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago

December 25 is just like any other day.  It is what you make of it, not what others tell you it should be.

1. wavegirl22 profile image48
      wavegirl22posted 5 years ago in reply to this

isnt it usually a day a really good movie come out?

No disrespect Brenda, I really did come here to wish you a healthy and happy Christmas. I just couldnt resist that comment to Ron.

15. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Great Jubilations to all and a Very Merry Christmas.   Christmas is indeed the season to rejoice and give back.

16. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 5 years ago

Ever hear of Pantera? Not the band, the Roman Soldier who was disciplined with re-assignment? Stationed in Palestine, the story goes that he raped a maiden who was betrothed to a certain locally known carpenter, prsumably named Joseph. Far as I know, it is just a story, but, there was a legionaire named Pantera, whose name was found on a Roman plaque in Germany.

1. EphremHagos profile image61

God's act of Incarnation, requiring the standard revelation by the Holy Spirit to an obedient Mary, is beyond any contribution by a Roman soldier.

17. K9keystrokes profile image92
    K9keystrokesposted 5 years ago

Hope your Holiday is wonderful Brenda and a respectful Merry Christmas.
    K9

18. livelonger profile image89
    livelongerposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas to all my Christian friends (and others who still celebrate the holiday) on HubPages. big_smile

1. ReuVera profile image86
      ReuVeraposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it. Happy Hanukkah to you, LL! And to me. smile

1. K9keystrokes profile image92
        K9keystrokesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friends as well! HubHugs Hebrews!

1. profile image0
          Muldaniaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

And Merry Yule to my pagan friends.

19. paradigmsearch profile image86
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas, Brenda. smile

And to all other worthy Hubbers as well. smile

I wonder, how do you determine the "worthiness" of Hubbers?...hmm roll Jesus did not discriminate. tongue

1. paradigmsearch profile image86
        paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I knew someone would come along and say that! lol

There are no unworthy Hubbers. big_smile

lol
          I myself celebrate Hanukkah. But I wish a Merry Christmas from all my heart to all those who celebrate it. When they say the same to me unknowingly, I always smile and  just answer "Thank you!". We respect others.

Happy Hanukkah!

20. paradigmsearch profile image86

To all

If you search for "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Hanukkah", google has a minor surprise for you. smile

21. profile image0

I was trying to go down the line, but it's difficult to keep up.

Merry Christmas disturbia
    and ediggity
    and Mark Knowles!
    and paarsurrey
    and kimberly ♥
    and rLcasaLme
    and livelonger
    and Reuvera
    Hubpages Hubber
    paradigmsearch
    EphremHagos
    A Troubled Man
    wilderness
    gmwilliams
    K9keystrokes!
    Druid Dude
    wavegirl22

1. rLcasaLme profile image53
      rLcasaLmeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks again Brenda. Merry Christmas to you as well.

1. profile image0

You're welcome.
        I've begun reading your hubs.  Interesting, encouraging.  smile

22. profile image0

And even to the one hubber who shall remain nameless!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4710128.gif
      ------------paradigmsearch-----------

1. profile image0

Well, that particular hubber I referred to remains nameless to me only.  Worthy hubber as we all are.  It's just that he prevents me from speaking directly to him (a request I have taken note of and abided by).

I just noticed my name in the above list. My error. smile

Does that Hubber's name begin with "C"? big_smile

1. profile image0

Nope.

Drop me a note, if you wish, and I will tell him/her you said hi. big_smile

1. profile image0

No thanks.  A "cold war" has its merits actually.  Sometimes there is value in a peace-keeping mindset.

big_smile

2. Onusonus profile image85
      Onusonusposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Who me? Oh, I know. Not me.......

1. profile image0

Merry Christmas Onusonus!

23. paradigmsearch profile image86

I just thought of another name. I'm 99% sure, but I won't ask. big_smile

24. schoolgirlforreal profile image74
    schoolgirlforrealposted 5 years ago
    1. profile image0

Thank you for your words of comfort, schoolgirlforreal,
      and for the video.   I love Celtic Woman.  Such awesome talent.  And the song blessed me!

25. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

1. profile image0

Merry Christmas prettydarkhorse!

26. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

I wonder why in the weeks running up to Christmas, when the excitement is building, that it seems to take forever to arrive.  Then Christmas day arrives, and within the blinking of an eye it has gone again, to be followed by that Boxing day feeling of "was that it?"  Then it is another year to wait until the next one. The build up is always much more exciting than the actual day.  I wonder what it is we are actually hoping for in our excitement, and what it is we hope Christmas will bring.

27. profile image0

As some have said here, Christmas is not just one day on a calendar.  It is a state of mind and heart and soul, of honoring the One who died for our sins, who rose again and is alive waiting to receive us into Heaven.

My Mom flew to Him last Tuesday the 27th, two days after Christmas by our calendar.  But I have no doubt at all that she is having "Christmas" every day in Heaven now!

Two poems she wrote in 1997 I'd like to share here.  These were read at her funeral.  This is what Christmas is.  This is what Faith is.  He is the Hope that we have, and the Promise-keeper that all who are born-again depend upon.

The First Thing I'll Do

The first thing I want to do when I reach Gloryland
    is kiss the prints of nails in my dear Savior's feet and hands
    I want to kiss His thorn-pierced brow; and gently touch His side,
    where the soldier's sword was thrust on that awful day He died.

His life's blood flowed down to the ground, yet not one drop was lost.
    He loved us poor lost souls so much He paid the awful cost.
    He gave His precious life to save us from a fiery hell
    Such selfless Love and sacrifice no mortal tongue can tell

Most of all I want to thank Him for saving even me
    Old Satan had me bound, but now through Jesus's blood I'm free---
    Praise God!  I'm FREE!

I Dreamed

I dreamed I crossed old chilly Jordan
    Oh, the waters were so dark and cold
    But Jesus softly whispered "Fear not"
    And my trembling hand did firmly hold.

The way seemed so long and so dreary
    So many things were troubling my mind
    I knew I'd be glad to reach Heaven--
    Yet my heart ached for those left behind.

If I could be sure that I'd meet them
    Over there on that beautiful shore--
    That some happy morning I'd greet them
    I would never look back any more.

But when I arrived at that city
    And saw those who had been gone so long--
    My heart was filled with so much gladness
    That I joined with them in a new song.

There was no one crying in Heaven
    For the Lord wiped their tears all away
    And I'm going to dwell there forever
    In that land that is fairer than day. 

Mom and Dad had this plea inscribed on their tombstone-- 
    PLEASE MEET US IN HEAVEN
    I'm gonna meet them both there someday; I've no doubt about that.

28. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 5 years ago

I'm sorry, Brenda

Regardless of belief, losing a parent in this earthly manifestation is always difficult.

I hope you were able to share your mother's last Christmas joyfully with her.

29. profile image0

Thank you WriteAngled.

working