What was your best Christmas present this year?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (48 posts)
  1. rlaha profile image60
    rlahaposted 12 years ago

My best gift was hanging out at home with family.

1. MickeySr profile image79
      MickeySrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure I can zero-in on an actual "best"; my oldest daughter put together a tray of cheeses and salami, etc, and I always love that. and, this was a DVD to Blu-Ray upgrade Christmas . . . my next daughter got me the full set of the classic "The Prisoner" tv series, the next daughter got me a collection of Terry Gilliam favorites (Baron Münchhausen, Brazil, Time Bandits), between the rest of my kids I also got "North By Northwest", (the real) "Planet Of The Apes", "Pulp Fiction", etc, and my youngest son got be Clapton's most recent "Crossroads Guitar Festival" and a Johnny Winter (in the 80's) concert disc.

And this year we all picked names to give a hand-made gift to. My daughter-in-law had me and she gave me beautiful framed old photos of my ancestors  (from my http://mickeysr.hubpages.com/hub/Those- … Your-Story hub)  . . . she gave me a set of 6 photos, so that 1 can eventually go to each of my kids, for posterity.

Once again, I got lots of great stuff for Christmas . . . that's what happens when you have 6 kids (& 12 grandkids) who all grow-up into really special people.

1. rlaha profile image60
        rlahaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow! All of your presents sound wonderful!

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We didn't exchange gifts this year, we just spent it together enjoying each other. smile

2. profile image52
    mame8posted 12 years ago

a life size pushie of my favorite character. about 30 inches

1. rlaha profile image60

Sounds interesting... which character?

3. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

The Welsh language edition of the book about 100 places to visit in Wales before you die. Amazon only had the English language edition, but my daughter tracked it down for me.

A food processor from my other daughter that does not need me to have a PhD in engineering in order to put it together and take it apart. I have been wanting an easy way to grate vegetables for some time, that does not result in grated fingers as well. I did buy a food processor some time back to do this, but it was so complicated to assemble that I was unable to remember how to do it.

1. rlaha profile image60

Wow the book sounds interesting!  Yes, machines can be way too complicated. Hopefully you were able to figure it out though!

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

A full sized wooden rocking horse with a real horse hair mane and tail, leather tack etc. I have always wanted one of these so I am thrilled. I have called him 'Diablo'.

(courtesy my Husband).  big_smile

1. rlaha profile image60

Wow! Nice!

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

Hubby always gets me wonderful gifts and this year was no exception.
    But the most special present I'd have to say is a dreamcatcher my son had made for me during his recent visit to Colorado.
    I am not a dreamcatcher-y type at all.
    But this one was handmade FOR ME. He picked out the stones and crystals and told the maker what he thought I needed in my life. It came with descriptions of what the stones' powers are. He even included a jeweled cross, as he knows that's a part of Mom's spirituality.
    It blew me away and made me cry.
    Of course, the fact that he is moving to Colorado within weeks also made me cry. So having him here to share Christmas with was very, very special.

Everyone's gifts sound delightful and you can tell how much thought was put into them to please the giftee.
    MM

1. rlaha profile image60

Handmade or handpicked are the best types of gifts! I am so glad you were thrilled with it!

6. hazelwood4 profile image65
    hazelwood4posted 12 years ago

My stepson bought me a smoker for Christmas. I am looking forward to using it too.

1. rlaha profile image60

Nice!

7. Earl S. Wynn profile image77
    Earl S. Wynnposted 12 years ago

My favorite gift this Christmas was being able to spend a three-day weekend with my beautiful, awesome wife. Also, she bought me a power drill! smile

1. rlaha profile image60

Hey that's always the best-spending time with those you love smile.

8. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

Presents are the least important part of Christmas for me.  Although I prefer buying them for others, rather than receiving them.  The excitement of unwrapping presents has gone a long time ago.  The presents I've had are good, but they are just material things at the end of the day.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, gifts are not always just material things.  My wife bought me a large tablet, intended primarily for reading e-books.

I downloaded 3 yesterday and have finished the first.  The first time in several years I can read a book for more than 30 minutes or so without my old eyes hurting so bad I have to quit.  The lighted screen and larger print make an enormous difference.

She has given me my reading ability back, and that is not "just another material thing".  At least not to me.

1. rlaha profile image60

Sounds great!

9. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 12 years ago

two kilo of prawns on the table

1. rlaha profile image60

Food is always a great gift smile

1. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh I agree especially these little babies...come to Mama smile smile

10. gryphin423 profile image61
    gryphin423posted 12 years ago

I'd have to say it is a toss up between the one cup Keurig coffee maker or the Versace perfume. Both are really big treats from my wonderful husband. We have now agreed to not buy each other presents any more and just go out for a really nice evening on the town together. After all, do we really need these things? Might as well spend the money on a memory is our thought. Time with your loved ones is indeed the best gift!

11. Sustainable Sue profile image97
    Sustainable Sueposted 12 years ago

My favorite was a little one. My nephew bought me white sage incense with a beautiful fall leaf incense holder. When I burned the incense it reminded me of being smudged during some very special times I'd had with Native American ceremonies some years ago.

12. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

My fav was a designer make up set my bro and his wife got me for Christmas. 90+ eyeshadows, lipcolors, blush, etc. etc. I always apply crazy make-up colors. Needless to say I was ecstatic

I admit that fashion is something that totally eludes me as a concept . . .  I just don't 'get' the interest or attention at all to fashion, but, having acknowledged and admitted that - you are far too pretty to fiddle with adding multi-colored powders and creams to your face . . . dark hair, dark eyes, great jawline - don't mess with it.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
        AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol aww thank you for the compliment smile
        I just love colors and such, so it's an artistic thing for me...I love doing it for other people too and I don't do much other than eye makeup and lipstick. I don't use creams or anything anything on my face because it makes my face feel stiff like I'm a store mannican or something....

I remember, way back in the cowboy days when I was a kid, girls used to get these life-sized doll heads (I think they were Barbie doll heads) to comb it's hair and put make-up on it, etc - I recall thinking how delighted I was that I was a boy . . . seemed like the lamest gift I could imagine. But, my wife has to check me before I leave the house or I'll go out in slippers and sweatpants - having a care for fashion is a mystery to me.

2. rlaha profile image60

True, messing up your skin with makeup can make your skin age faster.  You should use make up in moderation. smile

13. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

What's a Christmas present? I didn't get any at all.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sad

2. blondepoet profile image67

Awww Izzy really?
      How?
      Why?
      Oh that's really sad....sad

1. rlaha profile image60

Aww that is really sad sad sorry to hear that! How about a belated Christmas and New Year "HUG"?  Hope it helps!

14. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

My best present was the smiles on the faces of those received gifts from me!

. . . so, nobody got you anything huh?

I hope they did or else I'm a going to crack de whip

1. profile image60
          logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Please, and wear your special leather outfit when you do! smile

2. blondepoet profile image67

I would have got you something but I didn't have a addy (slang for address) LMAO

1. profile image60

Your happiness is all the gift I require!

Aww Logic come here and I will give you a big kiss and a hug....hurry the last roo leaves Wackawacka station in half hour.

3. rlaha profile image60

How about a HUG? Sorry you haven't received anything yet.

1. profile image60

Thank you for the hug!
        Material things are not as precious as those gifts of caring and thoughts!

1. rlaha profile image60

You're welcome! Hope you have a Happy New Year!

15. dipless profile image69
    diplessposted 12 years ago

A trip to the theatre and some quality time with the missus.

1. rlaha profile image60

Wow! What did you see there?

16. BfoBarney profile image60
    BfoBarneyposted 12 years ago

The best present I got this year would have to be my brand new ping pong table! I spend about 4 hours a fay playing it and battling it out with my family and friends.

17. DonnaCosmato profile image86
    DonnaCosmatoposted 12 years ago

My best and favorite Christmas present this year was my Kindle Fire. Since I normally carry a book wherever I go (you never know when you will get stuck in a long line at the grocery or post office), it is more convenient and gives me more options than just reading. I also love the fact that I can check my email while my son is doing his martial arts form for the umpteenth time:)

18. breezy0311 profile image56
    breezy0311posted 12 years ago

My best Christmas present was knowing that my mother was being well cared for in hospital after suffering a heart attack in the early hours of Christmas Eve morning. 

The next best present was our son coming home from University for Christmas... These things are priceless!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)