jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

When Does the Christmas Tree Get Taken Down?

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

So how long do you keep the tree and decorations up?
    A fake tree can stay a little longer but real ones must go as soon as the needles fall of..right? LOL

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

On the 12th day of Christmas, January 5, the Feast of the Epiphany.

2. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 5 years ago

my mom leaves hers up until it starts to die.  I think it should be whenever you want smile  nice to meet you btw smile

1. Stacie L profile image87
      Stacie Lposted 5 years ago in reply to this

same here.wink

3. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

Some consider it inviting bad luck to have Christmas decorations up after Epiphany (Jan 7th).

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I thought it was the 7th, too, but I put the 5th above which didn't sound right.

1. profile image0
        Muldaniaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have checked the Church of England's traditional date for taking them down, which is th 5th.  I have always left it until the 6th.  I hate taking them down, because I love looking at them.  It gives so colour to the room.  I have just bought some of those twigs, which have lights on them, which I will leave up all year.

4. 2uesday profile image87
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

Here in the UK it is traditional to remove Christmas decorations including the tree before what is called 12th night which means by or on the 5th of January here, at the latest.

5. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

I take mine down on January 6th, which is 12th night.  Some people include Christmas Day as the first day of Christmas.  Others though start it from Boxing Day.  I usually am the last in my neighbourhood to put the decorations up and the last to take them down.  When I was young, most people put them up on Christmas Eve and took them down on 12th night.  Now though, everyone seems to put up the decorations and take them down again on different days.  The traditions seem to have been lost. An increasingly common day to take them down seems to be New Year's Day.  I suppose because people are sick of the sight of them by then.

1. profile image0
      Muldaniaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Until Victorian times, Christmas decorations were taken down on 2nd February, which is Candlemas, and therefore 40 days after the birth of Christ.

6. Matt in Jax profile image80
    Matt in Jaxposted 5 years ago

I always take down my tree and all other decorations right around this time (28th or 29th.) Christmas is over and I don't personally feel the need to wait all the way until the first, though my girlfriend would disagree.

7. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

I usually take down everything on the first of the new year...

8. gryphin423 profile image79
    gryphin423posted 5 years ago

It usually comes down the first weekend in January, sometimes the second. So sad!!

9. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 5 years ago

I have just taken a walk around my neighbourhood, and was surprised that the majority of the houses had taken down their decorations, so the tradition of Twelfth Night seems to have now been forgotten.  They are put up earlier every year and taken down earlier.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Like many, mine just came down a few minutes ago.  All the lights, the tree, the decorations - all gone for another year.  Always a rather sad time for us as we love the season so much.

working