Gift Ideas For 13-Year-Old Boys
Introduction: Looking for Gift Ideas for Teenage Boys?
Looking for gift ideas for 13-year-old boys?
You are in the right place. Not only do I have a 13-year-old son myself, but we also live close to several of my nephews whom are heading into the teenage years (12 and 14 in particular).
If the 13-year-old-boy in your life is anything like my son, you probably won't get a helpful response to questions about what he wants for his birthday or the holidays. A shrug and grunt is all I got, at least. So, I had to do some sleuthing to compile a list of gift ideas for 13-year-old boys.
So, whether you're shopping for a birthday present or for a holiday gift, bookmark this Hub for reference. I've included a range of topics, including:
- Gaming gift ideas
- Sports-related gift ideas
- Tech gift ideas
- Entertainment gift ideas
- Traditional gift ideas
- Gift cards
Before Considering Gift Ideas, What Interests Does the 13-Year Old Boy Have?See results without voting
Gaming Gift Ideas for 13-Year-Old Boys
My 13-year-old shares an Xbox 360 system with his siblings, and also has a Nintendo DSI. Though, now that he has a cell phone, he seems to be outgrowing the DSI. The Xbox, however, is still fun to play whenever he has friends over.
Each year, the holiday season brings many new games for all gaming systems on the market: Nintendo DS consoles (handheld game system), the Xbox 360, the Nintendo Wii, and the Sony PS3. There are also games to play on the computer and applications that can be downloaded to cell phones.
With a 13-year-old boy, you are now moving into more mature video games. And, the kids themselves want to play "cool" games. A rating system categorizes games as E for everyone, T for teens, and M for mature. Just because you have a teenager doesn't mean that all T rated games are appropriate. Violence, sexual themes, and language may be coarser than that found in E rated games. Think of it as similar to a PG-13 rated movie. If in doubt, you can ask a salesperson or read online reviews.
That said, I can say that one of my 13-year-old son's favorite games is "Halo," which is rated M
Some popular gaming gift ideas for 13-year-old boys include:
- Current versions of NCAA, NFL, NBA and MLB sports games
- Movie-themed games (Harry Potter, Batman, etc.)
- Rock band games
- Tony Hawk Pro Skater
- World of Warcraft
- The Sims
- Final Fantasy
- Need for Speed
- StarCraft Battle Chest
In 2011-2012, the hot games included:
- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Batman Arkam City
- Call of Duty 3: Modern Warfare 3
- Assassins Creed
Note that many of these games are rated M for mature, due to violence/war.
Sports Gift Ideas for 13-Year-Old Boys
There is a subtle difference between my 10-year-old and my 13-year-old when it comes to sports.
Apparently, once you become a teenager, it's not as cool to wear caps, jerseys, sweatshirts, etc. of your favorite team. And definitely take down the Red Sox drapes and put away the Yankees bedspread.
Sports gift ideas for 13-year-old boys are focused on, you guessed it: your teenager!
Here's a list of items that will probably be appreciated, even if they don't show it:
- Sports equipment (balls, bats, mitts, helmets, hoops, goals, etc.)
- Sports memorabilia (trading cards, signed balls and the like)
- Brand-name T-shirts -- my son likes Nike and Adidas
- Tickets to a sporting event
- Tuition for a sports camps or similar programs
- What is clindamycin hcl 300
Tech Gift Ideas for Teenage Boys
By the teenage years, it's all about tech gifts. I finally got my 13-year-old a cell phone for his birthday this year.
Keep in mind, however, that not all boys will take good care of these items that can easily become lost or broken. Another tip is to consider getting previous models of items (you can usually purchase new versions) and/or those with less memory (8GB instead of 16GB, for example).
Depending on your budget, there are many tech gadgets you could consider when shopping for gifts for 13-year-old boys:
- iPod Nano
- iPod Touch
- Other MP3 players and accessories
- Laptop computer -- there are many inexpensive notebook versions available
- Cell phone -- you don't necessarily have to go with the new iPhone! There are basic models that still allow for easy texting available for less than $50 with generous rebates (hint: go for an unlimited texting plan to avoid a shockingly high cell phone bill)
Entertainment Gift Ideas for 13-Year-Old Boys
Let's say you want to save money on a gift for a 13-year-old boy. How is that even possible?
Believe it or not, but some young teenagers still enjoy reading books and watching movies. There are a number of popular series available, depending on his interests (sorcery, magic, history, fantasy, vampires, etc.) Just think -- you'll save money and probably a few of your 13-year-old's brain cells when you get him a book for a present.
Recommended book series (so they don't stop at just one):
- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
- The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
- Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colter
- Stormbreaker series by Anthony Horowitz
- The Maze Runner series by James Dashner
- Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan
- The Vadelah Chronicles series by Julie Rollins
- The Demon's Lexicon Trilogy by Sarah Rees Brennan
- The Heir Chronicles by Cinda Williams Chima
Other great books (classics he should enjoy):
- Watership Down by Richard Adams
- I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
- Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
- The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
- The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Traditional Gift Ideas for 13-Year Old Boys
When I was growing up, video games were fairly new on the scene and no one had cell phones (at least not the kids). These days, 13-year-old boys' tastes have matured, while the price of gifts has increased. You'll be hard pressed to find a typical teenager who will appreciate a board game for a present.
Traditional gift ideas for 13-year-old boys are often focused on what's "cool." They probably won't admit it if they still like to experiment with Spy Ware or build Legos, so take those off the list.
- Skateboards and accessories
- Roller blades
- Other sports equipment -- snowboarding, wake boarding, skiing, sledding, etc.
- Pool table, balls and cue
- Table tennis set
- Foosball table
Don't forget accessories: helmets, gloves, boots, bindings, batteries, and any other item necessary for your 13-year-old boy to enjoy these gifts.
When in Doubt, Go With a Gift Card!
Let's face it: teenagers are difficult to communicate with. Trying to please a13-year-old boy with a gift may be more difficult than getting him to clean his room.
Fortunately, you don't have to worry about a gift card being a cop-out for a present. Teens will appreciate the freedom of shopping for their own gift, on their own (mostly) terms. Even better, after the holidays, most retailers slash prices on their products -- right when your 13-year-old will go shopping.
Gift cards are available in a range of values (usually $25-100) from a number of specific retailers. The boys in my family enjoy getting gift cards from:
- Old Navy
- Game Stop
- REI and other sporting goods stores
If you want to give your 13-year-old even more flexibility in shopping with a gift card, pick up one of the Visa or MasterCard options. They work just like cash!
What Gifts Sound Best for a 13-Year Old Boy?See results without voting
© 2010 Stephanie Hicks
More by this Author
Shopping for gifts for 9-year-old girls is made much easier when you consult this gift idea guide.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE16
If you are planning a birthday party for a teenager, consider these suggested activities for groups of teens, from low-key to extravagant, depending on your budget and their interests.
If you have been rejected by a family member or lover, then you know that it's difficult to get over the feelings of being unloved.