Most Popular Christmas Gifts and Best Gifts for Her
What A Kitchenaid Mixer?!
When I first wrote this article a few years ago a Kitchenaid Mixer was one of the most popular gifts. I must say I was taken by surprise. Out of a list of ten popular Christmas gift categories I was only interested in one category and mildly interested in two others. Apparently none of the gifts I love to make or buy were on the list of most wanted Christmas gifts. Funny I always thought my gifts were much appreciated by the recipients but I guess I just have very polite relatives and friends. So that you don't make some of the mistakes I did, this hub contains a best gifts for her list and some of the most popular Christmas gifts for all the wonderful people in your life. Have a happy holiday season and fruitful gift shopping.
Links to Gift Ideas and Tips
- Inexpensive Gifts Online and Cheap Gift Ideas
Cheap gift ideas and tips on where to buy inexpensive gifts online.
- Gifts for Mothers, Quotes and Poetry for Mothers
Gifts for Mothers, mother quotes and mother poems.
- Wedding and Anniversary Gifts and Poems.
Wedding and anniversary gifts and marriage poems.
- African Gifts and African Cards
African gift ideas and where to buy African cards and gifts online including African jewelry, toys, clothing and art gifts.
- Memorial Gifts and A Memorial Poem for My Father
Sympathy and memorial gifts. Memorial poems.
Most Popular Gift Categories
I initially started off this article by writing up a most popular gifts list for the year. However, since the specific gifts constantly change this year I decided to stick to popular gift categories which endure the test of time even if the items within the categories change.
1. Electronics and Techie Gifts: Every year assorted electronic items tend to top the most wanted gifts lists. Given the fast-changing nature of technology an item which was in last year tends to be out of fashion the next year. This year some of the top electronic gifts include tablets like the Apple iPad and Kindle Fire and smart phones like Apple iPhone, Blackberry and Android phones. For home entertainment LCD and LED HDTV remain popular and Blu-Ray DVD players. As always the best (and cheapest time) to buy electronics is on Black Friday and many stores including Amazon are running their Black Friday deals right now.
2. Toys: There are a number of people who believe Christmas is for children and if there is one set of people who must receive gifts at this time of year it is the kids. Inevitably every year there is a set of popular toys on the market at Christmas time and anxious parents scrambling to buy them. This year the most popular toys include Monster High dolls, Angry birds, Syma helicopters and Fijit friends.
3. Video Games and Consoles: Here is another perennial favorite. If your gamer has not already gotten the hottest video game on the market now is the time to get it for them. If you want a game console that the whole family can enjoy then go for Nintendo Wii otherwise you can't go wrong with Xbox 360 or PlayStation. The most popular video games this year include Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and for the younger ones Super Mario 3D Land. You can also get your gamer an Xbox Live 12 Month Gold Membership.
4. Clothes: This is an enduring Christmas favorite. When all else fails you can pick up an item of clothing or better yet give your loved one a gift certificate to their favorite clothing store. Which brings me to the final item gift cards.
5. Gift Cards: I am not sure who loves this gift better the recipient or the giver. It is easy, convenient and hard to go wrong with since the recipient gets to pick out their own gift. An alternative to this is an envelope with money. I confess I do this countless times with my nephew and niece since I can never decide what to give them. Yes I confess, I can be quite a lazy gift shopper and I prefer people getting what they want and will use. So if I have no idea what that is I just give them some money or a gift card.
Best Gifts for Her
1. Jewelry: You know the song, “Diamonds are a girls best friend,” if you can afford real ones that is. However, even if you cannot, most women love pretty jewelry so you can go for costume jewelry or unique yet inexpensive jewelry. But please please please do not buy cubic zirconia she will never forgive you if she finds out.
2. Clothes, clothes and more clothes: This is the one gift item on my “best gifts for her list," that is also on the most popular gifts list. So you know it must be popular. If you cannot pick the right size or you have lousy taste then you are best off with a clothes gift card or safe accessories like scarves, hats, gloves and belts.
3. Handbags and Purses: If you are going to buy her a handbag then preferably go for something expensive. The type of bags she longs for and may not be able to buy enough of. Like classy leather Coach handbags or designer handbags.
4. Lingerie: This is a gift that men love to buy for women and some (not all) women love to receive. Be careful not to pick something that is not her taste e.g. do not buy racy lingerie for a conservative woman go for something sexy, yet soft and feminine. When you are picking lingerie also consider how the material feels against the skin materials like satin and silk are popular nylon is not.
5. Perfume: This is another safe and popular gift for women and you get to enjoy it too when she smells nice. You can always go with a perfume gift set of her favorite scent or ask the shop attendants for help. You want to keep in mind her age and personality when selecting a scent and discuss it with the shop attendant.
6. Fancy Chocolate: Most women love chocolate and pretty boxes so look for something that combines the two. Do not buy her just any ordinary chocolate go for popular Belgian Chocolate packed in a fancy box. Yes some of us even keep those boxes after stuffing ourselves with the chocolate. Or better yet buy a chocolate gift basket.
7. Home Décor: I cannot tell you how many times I have bought home decor items as gifts for female relatives and friends and they absolutely love them. You can tell the type of home décor items somebody likes by looking around their house. Then buy something that fits in with their overall design scheme. Popular home décor gift items include lamps, candleholders, keepsake boxes, decorative plates and crystal ornaments.
8. Art, Antiques and Collectibles: This falls within home décor or décor that she may use in her office. From the time I was a little girl my mum loved to decorate the house with little trinkets (some of which my siblings and I broke) and decorative wall art. Once again buy art pieces that fit in with her home décor and preferably framed art (or she may never hang it up).
9. Soppy Sentimental Gifts: Been a sentimental fool myself, I love soppy gifts. Mothers, grandmothers, aunties and sisters (just about all women) love these too. Sentimental gifts include photo gifts, photo frames with sentimental messages and a photograph of course, gift plaques with messages of love and poetry-art gifts. The type of gift that will make her sigh and say, “Oh how cute,” and perhaps bring a tear to her eye. You get the idea.
10. Books and Magazine Subscriptions: While this may sound dreadfully boring to some, a number of women appreciate book gifts (notice how many book clubs are made up of women and the success of the Oprah Book Club). You can go with current bestsellers or pick something off the Oprah Book Club. Also many women love inspirational books.
That concludes my list of best gifts for her. Now you have no excuse for buying a Kitchenaid Mixer and don’t come looking for me when you get a bump on your head thanks to picking the wrong gift for her.
More by this Author
The one thing I appreciate most in my life is the blessing of a dear mother who has loved, supported and cared for me throughout the course of my life. There is nothing in this world quite like a mother's unconditional...
As Mother's Day fast approaches many of us are scrambling to find the perfect gift for our mothers. For Mothers Day this year I decided to create a collection of poems and art pieces to celebrate motherhood. This hub...
As mere mortals we are extremely uncomfortable with death. The thought of our own mortality terrifies us. However, much as we try to hide from death its presence constantly overshadows us. Lately we have been bombarded...