Become Theodore Roosevelt for a Day
What You Need to Transform Yourself into Teddy Roosevelt
First you must decide which image of the former president, conservationist, adventurer and soldier you wish to portray. Theodore Roosevelt exuded a vigor and confidence that makes him much admired even after all these years.
What I'm providing here are tips for creating each of his personas in a costume. There are photos and videos to help you choose the look you want. Some parts can be assembled from clothing you have on hand or ones you find at a thrift store. Others are more difficult to find, so I'm including those here.
For further authenticity, I recommend viewing the videos to see his manner of walking and talking. I've even included some quotations that you can throw into the conversation. Bully for you, wanting to become Teddy Roosevelt even if it is only for a day.
Now, "speak softly, but carry a big stick."
Theodore Roosevelt Words Deeds Post Card from Zazzle
Teddy Roosevelt - The Explorer and Conservationist
The look varies, but here are some components to put together for an outfit.
- Khaki pants
- Khaki shirt, long-sleeved or a sweater
- Knee high boots or shoes with puttees or leggings made of leather or canvas.
- A kerchief for the neck (look at the variations in the photos)
Most Crucial Part of the Costume - Pince Nez Glasses
No matter what pictures you see of Theodore Roosevelt, the glasses are there. They are a strong identifier that will clue others in to what character you are portraying.
The name of the glasses, in case anyone asks you, translates into English as "pinch nose." That's how the glasses stay on is by gripping the nose.
No matter which look you go for, you'll need these glasses.
Teddy Roosevelt - The Rough Rider of the Spanish-American War
Colonel Theodore Roosevelt Poster from Zazzle
Teddy was the Assistant Secretary for the Navy, but left this important government office to volunteer for the cavalry. He wasn't about to miss out on the action in Cuba.
- Hat - khaki colored with one side folded up and pinned with crossed sabers emblem. This emblem was for the cavalry.
- Kerchief around the neck
- Khaki shirt with front patch pockets
- Leather gloves with a wide cuff called gauntlets.
- Shoulder straps
- Belt with brass buckle - Here's a photo and description of the buckle with the eagle on it and the belt.
- Khaki slacks - you can see the various parts of a Spanish American War uniform on this site.
- Leggings - These pulled the lower part of the trousers close to the legs.
Here's an Excellent Home-Grown T.R. Costume
You'll Need a Walrus Mustache
Most of the ones I saw on Amazon were black or grey. There were even some that were temporary tattoos. I've settled on this one as being the most representative of Teddy's iconic mustache.
See Teddy Roosevelt in His Many Looks
Pin the Brim of Your Hat with This Crossed Sabers Insignia
You'll see this pin on T.R.'s hat in the video footage about the Rough Riders.
A Hat for the Rough Rider - Pin the brim up on One Side
How They Made This Costume
What You Need for T.R. - The President
- The coat should be longer than what is worn now. This is called a frock coat. I found a marvelous site where you can see examples of historical clothing.
- Note the gold chain across the vest. This is his pocket watch chain.
- In photos of him as president, you'll see that his mustache is grey.
- Hat - on ceremonial occasions it was a black top hat and at other times a more casual hat.
- Vest with a pocket for his watch. The vest can be light colored or dark.
- Tie - this can be plain or patterned. He wears it tucked inside the vest.
Painting Showing Teddy Roosevelt as President
Black Top Hat for President Roosevelt
If you opt for the formal look like the inauguration, go with a felt black top hat. This one is costume quality. There are cheaper ones available, but this one is more realistic and sturdier.
For theater use or performing, you may want to go with one of a higher quality than this.
An American Lion - A Documentary - This is long, but quite informative and entertaining
Narrated by Richard Dreyfuss and with brief interviews of historians, this brings you many clips of Roosevelt in different times of his life. Lots of old film footage is included.
See the Many Facets of Roosevelt's Life in This Video
More by this Author
It can be quite challenging to find the perfect name for a cottage or house. Get a head start on this process with my brainstorming tips and the cottage name generator. You'll get lots of ideas here.
Librarians and teachers need ideas for book displays to draw readers to books. The month-by-month suggestions for displays makes your job easier. Created by a retired librarian.
Haunted houses can be elaborate commercial ones, homemade basement events, or even at a campground. Big or small, all need fresh ideas to scare the guests. Here you'll find many ideas!