10 Alarming Facts About Child Labour/Slavery, Including Childhood Killer, A Poem
Ever since I learnt of the alarming reality of human trafficking and modern-day slavery, I have decided to dedicate my time and write a series of hubs, covering the different forms of exploitation which are going on today.
All over the world children are forced to work, robbing them of basic education and proper health. Millions are working in hazardous conditions. An estimate 1.2 million children - both boys and girls- are trafficked each year into exploitative work in agriculture, mining, and factories. Many are enslaved, isolated in domestic service, and traumatized in the commercial sex trade. These children will know only a life of slavery, and may never realise their potential.
I believe the majority of us, cannot begin to connect to the level of suffering victims of child labour experience day after day. I honestly feel sad and utterly helpless and hopefully through my writing and poetry I can create some awareness.
10 Fast Facts About Child Labour:
- Today, there are more children enslaved than any time in history.
- Most recent report shows: 127 million boys, 88 million girls worldwide are involved in child labour, 74 milion boys and 41 million girls in the worst forms.
- Children trafficked into one form of labour may be later sold into another, mainly girls later trafficked into the sex industry.
- 300,000 children younger than 18 years old, are trafficked to serve in armed conflicts worldwide.
- 30% of children are sold into the sex industry as young as 11 years old, in some horrific cases as young as 8 years old.
- Family members living in poverty will often sell their children into slavery. The younger the victim, the more money traffickers & recruiters get.
- 13 Million children around the world are victims of human trafficking.
- Child labour a major concern in many parts of the world: Asia 153 million, Africa 8 million, including Latin America & Caribbean 17 million.
- Some children are forced to weave up to 18 hours a day, often never leaving the factory or loom shed.
- Girls are being sold like cattle in domestic servitude. They end up physically, sexually and emotional abused, usually forced to work unpaid.
POEM: Childhood Killer
They mean nothing to themselves
No education no alternatives
Sucked into labour activities
Killing by degrees young dreams
Drained small hands and feet
Struggle in the burning heat
Minutes turn to lengthy hours
Night hours blend with daytime
Eye lids like a ton of bricks
Small bodies stop and fall
Mattress more like a sheet
A place to call splendid sleep
Their fate at cheap rates
Dire straits poverty dictates
Forced to work for beans
Treated like machines
Helpless children appear papery
They conform to a life of slavery
A child is not commercial property
It`s no excuse a weak economy
2012 ©MegNezaj. All Rights Reserved.
Support Poetry4Freedom Book Project:
I have written this poem specifically for PoetryForFreedom. If you are a poet and would like to support this project, please visit their page for submission details.
Please Note: They still need poetry focused on: Child Labor, Servitude, Debt Bondage, Restaveks,TRATA de personasom!!
Your poetry will help raise awareness for all forms of Trafficking, Exploitation & Slavery! Please tell your friends about this poetry project to raise awareness against human trafficking. Follow @Poetry4Freedom on Twitter.
MY FIRST COLLECTION OF PUBLISHED POETRY:
Learn how your favorite Brands relate to Trafficking & Labour Abuse:
Roadmap for achieving the elimination of the worst forms of child labour by 2016:
More by this Author
- 17Sunflowers in the Dark: A Poem Regarding Human Trafficking, Including 7 Horrific Facts, and Music4Freedom
Read a poem written by poet & humanitarian Meg Nezaj, focusing on human trafficking; a social epidemic on a global scale.
Life presents us with many, different seasons in our lives! Solomon the wise king who wrote Ecclesiastes teaches us that there is a time and season for everything that needs to be done (Ecclesiastes 3:1- 8) What...