25 ways to promote your novel online for free
So you've published a book and now it is time to get yourself some readers. The following is a little more than 25 tried and true methods of promoting your book. Included are ways of online promotion but also some ways of offline promotion but it is also free.
- Create a website dedicated to your book or all your writing projects if you have or plan to write more that will be published.
- If you have a blog write about the upcoming release or just an article about the book. Possibly include excerpts that may draw in your audience.
- Collect email addresses of those interested in your writing online and off for use in an email newsletter you can send periodically.
- Contact libraries and book clubs and ask to schedule readings.
- Pass out pamphlets on your book to groups that may be interested.
- Send a press release to local newspapers and radio stations.
- Record your own interviews and podcast and distribute online possibly put video interviews on youtube.
- Scour the net for popular blogs, podcast, and channels that write articles on the subject of your book. Provide them with a press release and then follow up at some point.
- Send your press release, updates and excerpts out through social media websites: Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Run an online contest and give away several books as prizes.
- Do book signings in areas where your novel is selling.
- Even if you are being published through a mass market publisher contact local and not so local stores and ask them if you can sell your book in their store.
- Contact online distributors of independent books such as the Independent Publishers Group.
- If your book includes pictures create some artwork for an online meme as promotion.
- Sign copies and encourage readers to leave online reviews of your books at the biggest online chains: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Borders, Indigo, etc.
- List your book online with independent databases.
- Word of mouth advertise to your family, friends, associates.
- List in the for sale section of the forum at your work or possibly on bulletin boards in your lunch room.
- Make bookmarks with your website and art styled after your book on it and give them away. Possibly leave some with libraries and bookstores with a take one sign.
- Enlist the help of others to help you promote your book, online friends, family and others may enjoy lending a hand.
- Create other products related to your book: shirts, shoes, buttons, stamps, and more check out Zazzle for more ideas.
- Put a bumper sticker promoting your book on your car, refer to the last suggestion for a place to create and buy your own bumper sticker.
- Get involved in online writing workshops.
- Offer rebates on the price of your book with special offer websites related to the topic of your book.
- Attend shows whether it be local art, craft or trade shows. A local writer will catch their attention, so act the part.
- Visit and promote in chat rooms that follow the topic of your book.
- Join web rings or do a link exchange with others promoting their books.
- If you have no shame consider doing promotion and or reading on subways, elevators, bus stops, etc.
More by this Author
An article with drawn pictures about the changes to the batman and his costume from his creation in the 1940s until now.
List of 10 Legendary Golden Age Superheroes that survived to present day. Showcase gives an idea of what the superhero genre had to do to make it to present day.
A list of 10 things you should know before calling roadside assistance. Most are common sense and shed light on some of the silly things people do and say on the phone when calling in.