5 Fun Creative Writing Prompts
Need a little inspiration? Maybe you want to hone your writing skills a bit? Whatever your reason, creative writing prompts, can be truly beneficial to your writing. They are a fun way to get new ideas and inspiration. They are thousands of different prompts in books and on the internet. You can even use photos as a prompt. Hey, they say a picture's worth a thousand words, right? Let's find out!
Below you'll find four fun text prompts to challenge and entertain you. They'll not only hone your creative writing skills, but they may even inspire you with ideas you hadn't thought of before. You'll also see a photo prompt. A simple photo which may or may not spark a short story in you. Is a picture worth a thousand words? You tell me...
More Hubs on Writing
4 Challenging Text Prompts
Hone your skills with these prompts...
A Challenging Prompt
This is a very challenging prompt which is also beneficial to your vocabulary and discipline. The great thing about this prompt is that you can add or change any of the circumstances you want to make it more challenging.
- Create a short story that is 26 sentences long. Each sentence should begin with the last letter of the previous sentence. Add or change any stipulations if you wish (i.e. one sentence should end with a question mark, Only two syllables per words, No adverbs, etc.)
A Historical Prompt
This prompt can help with your research skills. Yes research skills are important even if you're writing fiction or poetry. Consistency is key when you're writing about settings, this is where your research skills come into play.
- Pick a historical event (e.g. the titanic sinking, a political assassination, the Roman inquisition, the Salem witch trials, etc.). Put yourself in that event and write from the 1st person point of view about what is going on. Give as many details as possible, utilizing all your senses and researched material.
A Writer's Digest Prompt: Deja Vu
This is a fun prompt I got off of writer's digest's weekly prompts. I'd recommend visiting their site and signing up for their newsletters or subscribing to their magazine. You'll find tons of valuable information and weekly prompts which will help you develop and grow as a writer.
- Around mid-morning one day, you realize that everything
that is happening seems really familiar. After much thought you discover
- You're reliving a day from your past
- A dream/nightmare you have had is now happening
- Your life has fallen into a terrible rut and you must take drastic measures to find a way out of it. (Tip: think groundhog day)
Write one or more of the three listed.
Family Heirloom Prompt
This prompt is a fun prompt that you can incorporate the people you love in. It's challenging and can again help with your research skills.
- Narrate a story about a family member or a story that has been passed down or ritualized in your family. Embellish if you so desire, just be sure to write a full story. This may require you to ask questions and interview family members.
Skylar Spring © copyright 2011
A Fun Photo Prompt
More by this Author
In this hub you'll learn how to write a character sketch. Character sketches are another method to character development. Follow the steps and use the character sketch plan to create an engaging and brilliant character...
Learn the art of the short short story in this hub on how to write flash fiction. You'll find some great tips and exercises to help you on your way.
An article on all things Dragons. Learn about their major traits, colors, ages and culture in this hub.