A Mountainous Shadow of Doubt - a Poetic Response to Bill Holland's Challenge
Having previously submitted a story to Bill's challenge, I'd no intention of submitting another entry. However, I was unable to go to sleep until I'd written this poem which thrust itself on me. After all, poetry is my main hallmark. So please accept this as it is intended, which is for inspiration to arise from doubt or gloom if/when it besets us.
A mountainous shadow of doubt, ~
They crouch and writhe
Beneath surrounding mount
'Midst consuming, soulful gnawing
Hid in abandoned, crumbling walls,
Traveling on rejected rails
To graveyards of despairing calls
'Midst moans and wails
Along its trails.
Embrace the hope within.
Escape the bonds of fear.
Cast off, cast down the chains
Which now enfold your souls.
Take hold of hope abounding.
Rise up! Oh doubters, arise!
You need not hide your sighs.
Cast off, cast down the lies
Which overtook your lives.
Rise up with sun in view.
No more a mountainous shadow,
No more circuitous traversing.
No more those cavernous graves.
No more oppressive despair dispersing ~
With glorious sunshine everywhere,
Peace is ling'ring there.
The poem by ~ © Nellieanna Hay,
written September 3, 2016.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This poetic material is protected under International and Federal Copyright Laws and Treaties. Any unauthorized reprint or use of this material is prohibited. No part may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system without express written permission of Nellieanna H. Hay.
Some Other Challenge Entries
- Rescue Flame on the Mountain by Nellieanna Hay
A little story written in response to A Writing Challenge: Are You Up For It? by Bill Holland. ://hubpages.com/literature/A-Writing-Challenge-Are-You-Up-For-It
- Riding The Rails- Short Story - A Challenge by Bill Holland by Ruby Jean Fuller (always exploring)
Beatrice had lived on a farm with her parents her entire life, when they passed she wanted to fulfill her dream of exploration. This is her story. A challenge issued by Bill Holland.
- The Ghost Mountain Adventure (a short story) by John Hanson (Jodah)
This short adventure story is my response to a writing challenge. I also read a recent article that said there was a lack of short fiction available with skiing as the theme. So here goes.
- A Mountain Or A Molehill? My Response To Billibuc's Writing Challenge by Mr Archer
His job was killing him: he knew it; his wife knew it. But what in the hell was he supposed to do? Life cost money, and the job provided that but oh the cost. That cost was his sanity and health.
- Rainbow Mountain - A Short Story by Nell Rose
When Jennifer got the call to go and see a new geological phenomenon the last thing she expected was this! Short Story by Nell Rose
- The Darjeeling Trip And The Mystery Of Those Mountains: A Short Story by Chitrangada Sharan
Raj and Priya were happy and excited about their holiday plan to Darjeeling. Little did they know that they were going to get the surprise of their lives there. ~~In response to billybuc's challenge
- Mountain Creek Station by Mike Freidman (Mcbtrdbks)
- Sugar Mountain ~ a poem by Suzette Walker susetetaos (suzettenaples)
A writing challenge from Bill Holland and my response.
- The Legend of Whisper Mountain - My Response to Billybuc's Writing Challenge by Shauna L.Bowling
I just love a writing challenge, especially one driven by picture prompts. This is my response to billybuc's latest challenge.
- Lookout Mountain by Maria Jordan (marcourjor)
This short is in response to Bill Holland's writing challenge. Read on to learn of Sammie's relationship with Lookout Mountain.
- Fiction Writing Contest Issued by Billybuc on HubPages: The Rest of My Life by Faith Reaper
This is my submission to Billybuc's Fiction Writing Contest. I write non-fiction for the most part, so I have enjoyed writing this fiction piece here.
- Memories of Glass Mountain – Flash Fiction Poetry - Accepting a Writing Challenge by Shyron E Shenko
Bill Holland (a.k.a. billybuc) has issued a Challenge to all Hubbers to write a short story/flash fiction. Bill I hope you do not mind that mine is written in rhyme.
- Majestic Mountain -by Paula (fpherj48)
My short romantic tale in response to a writer's challenge, presented by our own author & friend, Bill Holland.
- Take That Mountain by Shannon (shanmarie)
My response to our friend Bill"s (billybuc) latest challenge.
- The Mountain of Enlightenment- A Writing Challenge by Jo Grace Goldsmith (Jo_Goldesmith11)
The Mountain of Enlightenment is about climbing and working towards the complete understanding of what life means. It is a challenge that is worth undertaking and a thought worth considering.
- Up the Mountain We Go: A Short Story by Author Jennifer Arnett (availiasvision)
A storm is brewing in the mountains, and Norbert is determined to summit a peak. As he is following a pair of traintracks upward, he meets a young man going the same direction.
- Lost Mountain by Austiinstar
Escaping from a serial killer isn't always the easiest thing to do. Especially when it involves rugged mountainous terrain and a girl without survival skills. But danger is only a state of mind.
- Conquering Savage Mountain by Lori Colbo (lamb servant)
Bitty has the adventure bug, passed down to her from her Daddy. She decides to climb Savage Mountain, where her Daddy died, to finish the climb he started but never finished.
- A Billybuc Writing Challenge--The Mountain of No Hope by Carb Diva
A writing challenge--free verse, any genre using these three images--a mountain, aging freight cars, and an abandoned barn. What feelings do these images evoke?
- Slumber Mountain: a Short Story Response to Bill Holland's Challenge by Ann Carr (annart)
Challenges push a writer's boundaries, something we need to do all the time or we do not progress, nor improve. This story tells of a personal challenge which many face, dealing with another's pain.
- The Call Of The Mountain by Shalini Kagal
A short story in verse form
- The Mountain - An Answer to Bill Holland's Newest Writing Challenge by EmeseRéka (Emese Fromm)
I have been away from HubPages for a while, but when I saw this picture, and realized that is was offered as a writing challenge, I couldn't resist. Thank you, Bill, for the inspiration.
- Flash Fiction: A mountain man comes home - Bill's Challenge by MizBejabbers
After WWI, 368 American soldiers have rested in graves in Flanders Fields. In this flash fiction, we are going to imagine the story of one who was MIA and did not make it to the fields.
- The Come-Back-to-Hubpages Challenge-A Fishy Mountain by DeGreek
This Hub is written in response to: A Writing Challenge: Are You Up For It? http://hubpages.com/literature/A-Writing-Challenge-Are-You-Up-For-It
- Mole on a Mountain: A Short Story Response to Bill Holland's Writing Challenge by Chris Mills
Tony is a DEA mole in a Mexican drug cartel. On his 1st run to deliver a shipment of meth, he encounters 2 kinds of trouble, airplane trouble over the mountains and his arch enemy as team leader.
© 2016 Nellieanna Hay
More by this Author
Deep, deep, Deep In the forest In India - a dream.
Mother promised her gold thimble to the daughter who became the best seamstress; I won it.
This essence is the quality of Quality, always unmistakeable wherever it is experienced or beheld and which several well-known persons exemplify. ~©nhh