A Poem on Forest Conservation-Heal the Forest
So Sad What We Did to the Forest
The poem that follows this paragraph is about a small patch of forest that is between a shopping center and a housing development. Many of the people who live around here travel through paths that have been worn through the forest over time.
Many years ago, this was a portion of wetlands that was formed by the Maurice River as it flowed through the Pine Barons of New Jersey. As I walked through this place with the idea that I would gather images for my poem, what impressed me most was how trashy the place was. There were smashed bottles, plastic bags, broken shopping carts, old tires, and many other signs of our disregard for nature.
A few weeks ago, a wicked storm blew through our neighborhood. It knocked down several large trees, and the path is no longer passable. I saw a piece about the storm on the news. They are speculating that the storm, which is very unusual in this area, may have been caused by global warming.
We really need to think about what we can do for the earth before we no longer have a future.
About Global Warming
About Interfaith Earth Healing Initiative
Trees Down After the Storm.
Links to Helping Agencies
- How to Help Save the Planet Earth: 6 steps (with pictures)
How to Help Save the Planet Earth. Have you wondered what you can do to help our planet? Here are some steps that you can do on an individual basis. The more that you do these, the more impact they will have for the benefit of our home...
- 50 Ways to Help the Planet
- Ten Green Charity Organizations
There are thousands of environmental agencies and organizations that you may have heard of, but which ones should you donate to? And who uses their funds appropriately? We've listed some of the most well known charities along with links to their Char
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- 25 Environmental Agencies and Organizations | WebEcoist
25 online green, eco and environmnetal agencies and organizations for wildlife conservation, land conservation, climate change and environmental activism.
- List of environmental organizations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Heal the Forest
Rage, Great Spirit, rage!
Mourn your warriors
uprooted, lying dead
and broken on the forest floor.
Once the trees were proud
homes to the creatures
that you let live free.
Now the roots of the oldest tree,
Grandfather tree, King tree,
the grandest of them all,
have decayed, becoming
its burial mound.
Release your wrath, Great Spirit,
at the two legged beasts
who brought their great metal
monsters with giant shovels
to turn away the river,
and to level the earth.
Spark terror on the humans
who spread their trash like poison.
It is a scar that may never heal.
Show forth your indignation
at the noise in the distance,
the harsh roar of engines.
The obnoxious beeps and
honks of the highway
compete with the sorrowed
choir of birds that still
sings in the canopy.
Show your fury to the travelers
whose feet have worn roads
where once your mighty river roamed,
who leave their shopping carts
like broken chariots,
tokens of the war that nature lost.
Wreak havoc on the toys
and monuments left in places
that belong to the squirrels,
on the picnic tables and discarded tires,
plastic swings and rusted
shells of abandoned cars.
Great Spirit of creation,
lend your strength to the forest
as it tries to heal in spite
of the drive for progress.
Bless the curly tendrils
of ivy that reach across
what used to be the river bed.
Bless the faerie flowers
that dance across the forest floor.
Bring gentle rains
and sunlight’s kiss.
Give peace to the forest.
Help Heal the Planet-Plant a Tree
How Can We Help?
Here's a list of a few things we can all do to help heal the planet:
- Don't drop litter on the ground
- Reverse the problem, i.e., if you are walking through a place like this, pick up one or two pieces of trash and take them to a trash can. This way we can reverse the problem one little step at a time.
- Whenever possible, use people power to get where you need to go. Walk or ride a bike, roller skate, or skateboard. It's good for the planet and good for your health.
- Don't use plastic bags. Get a basket or some cloth bags and bring them with you.
- Buy fresh, unpackaged foods whenever you can.
- Have an energy consultation for your home. Make it as energy efficient as you can.
- Get involved. There are many organizations out there that can help you find better ways to live without ruining the environment for your children.
- Plant trees. Trees are a very important of the maintenance of the atmosphere.
© 2012 Vanessa Kristovich
More by this Author
This poem deals with self-esteem. It considers the problem of what is outside, and what we take in internally.
This is a small hub. It contains a poem about the fading away of life.
this is a page that offers prompts for writers interested in writing jungle stories. It has videos about writer's block and about the jungle.