Ancient Chinese Proverbs For Calligraphy
There is so much wisdom in ancient Chinese Proverbs. Some of these Proverbs have been around for more than a thousand years. Besides teaching us life lessons, ancient Chinese Proverbs are used in Chinese Calligraphy. The Chinese communities love to display Calligraphy scrolls as decoration on walls. Sadly, Chinese Calligraphy is slowly becoming a lost art. Professional calligraphers are becoming harder to find. If you know a professional calligrapher, make sure you ask him a favour to write you a few words of Calligraphy. The price of one is getting more and more expensive. Here are some of the ancient Chinese Proverbs used in Calligraphy (In Chinese characters of course, not Roman).
Ancient Chinese Proverbs for Calligraphy
- A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step.
- A single conversation across a table with a wise man is worth a month's study of books.
- Be not afraid of growing slowly but be afraid only of standing still.
- Better to light a candle than to whine about the darkness.
- He who asks a question is a fool for a minute but he who does not remains a fool forever.
- If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
- If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow.
- The journey is the reward.
- There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but the view is always the same.
- With time and patience, the mulberry leaf becomes satin. With time and patience the mulberry leaf becomes a silk gown.
- Behind every able man, there are always other able men.
- If your strength is small, don't carry heavy burdens. If your words are worthless, don't give advice.
- Men grow old, pearls grow yellow, there is no cure for it.
- He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition burns a picture to obtain the ashes. This is my personal favourite among the list of ancient Chinese Proverbs.
- He who cannot agree with his enemies is controlled by them.
- You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair.
- A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion.
- Deep doubts, deep wisdom. Small doubts, little wisdom.
- To believe in one's dreams is to spend all of one's life asleep.
- Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
- In a broken nest there are few whole eggs.
- Parents who are afraid to put their foot down usually have children who step on their toes.
- A diamond with a flaw is better than a common stone that is perfect.
- A great fortune depends on luck, a small one on diligence.
- Habits are cobwebs at first, cables at last.
- A thorn defends the rose, harming only those who would steal the blossom.
- Heaven has a road, but no one travels it. Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there.
- Look for a thing until you find it and you'll not lose your labor.
- He who treads softly goes far.
- The one who pursues revenge should dig two graves.
- If we do not change our direction, we are likely to end up where we are headed.
- I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
- Do not anxiously hope for that which is not yet come, do not vainly regret what is already past.
- One joy scatters a hundred griefs.
- Learning is a treasure that will follow its owner everywhere.
- Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth must wait very, very long time.
- Medicine can only cure curable diseases, and then not always.
- The palest ink is better than the best memory.
- With true friends . . . even water drunk together is sweet enough.
- Great souls have wills, feeble ones have only wishes.
Thank you for reading these ancient Chinese Proverbs. If you have more to add, please list them in the comment box below.
Ancient Chinese Calligraphy Scroll
Buy Chinese Calligraphy Scroll
Do you like Chinese Calligraphy? Create and purchase your own Chinese Calligraphy here.
Comments 19 comments
More hubs by JASONYCC
- Holiday in Malaysia, Penang Island
Settlers and fortune seekers from the all over came to Penang and it was from this unique mix of Chinese, Malay, Indian and Siamese (among others) cultures that Penang became a melting pot for hybrid communities.
- Federal Court Deals with Property Scam
I have almost lost faith in the Malaysian Judiciary System. This did not happen recently. It was built up over the years. However, the landmark ruling by the Federal Court on 21 January 2010 made me rethink...
- 36 Famous Quotes on Change
Change is inevitable. Change happens to us all the time. Change affects our life, family, work and financial position. A company director once told me that the only constant in this world is change. I...
- Quotes For Positive Thinking
Life is like the ocean. Sometimes rough sometimes calm. Read quotes by Abraham Lincoln, Nelson Mandela and Michael Jordan.
More by this Author
A list of simplified Confucius Quotes & Sayings for easy understanding. These ancient Chinese wisdom will still be applicable to our daily lives.
A list of simplified ancient Chinese Quotes for easy understanding. These ancient Chinese Quotes will still be applicable to our daily lives.
Chinese Moon cake Festival has many names such as Mid Autumn Festival, Lantern Festival and also Moon Festival. Chinese family members and friends will gather to admire the bright mid autumn moon.