Preschool Books About A Day at the Beach
More Preschool Themes
Check out my master list of over 75 children's book lists and children's book reviews, and other preschool storytime-related links.
- Ocean Animals Theme
- Going to the Zoo Theme
- Fireflies and other Adventures in the Dark
A perfect summer storytime theme for preschool is a day at the beach. Because if you can't spend a day at the beach during the summer, then you can transport yourself and the preschool-aged children in your life there through some of these favorite beach-themed children's books. So get your swimsuits, pails, and shovels ready for some beach-themed storytime fun!
- Flotsam by David Weisner, is a Caldecott-award winning children's book that tells the story of a young boy who discovers an underwater camera that reveals a fantasy world under the ocean. This book is a wordless flight of fancy, like this othe author's famous book, Tuesday.
- Out of the Ocean by Debra Frasier combines photos and collage art to look at collecting found objects on a Florida beach. Please read my full review of this book that is a blend of both fiction and nonfiction.
- Beach Day by Karen Roosa and Maggie Smith. A little girl and her family spend a day at the beach. This book features simple rhyming text that will please a storytime crowd.
- Beach Play by Marsha Hayles and Hideko Takahashi is another colorful book featuring a young girl and her cute little dog. This book features rhyming text set in swirling patterns on the page, and colors that pop off the page.
- Along the Seashore by Ann Cooper is another nature discovery book that encounters coomonly-found animals on the Pacific Coast.
- Seashells by the Seashore by Marianne Berkes and Robert Noreika, is a book that tells the story of a young girl, Sue, who walks along the seashore picking up shells. This book contains detailed descriptions of the types of shells that can be found on the beach, and an explanatory section supplements rhyming text with additional information about seashells for young scientists to discover. This book is both informational and about the pleasures of collecting and discovering the natural world.
- If You Give A Cat a Cupcake by Laura Numeroff is a book in the series that started with If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. This book leads the book on an adventure with a zany and demanding cat who wants a cupcake with frosting, a trip to the beach and the natural history museum. The results are humorous and as with Numeroff's other books, the reader ends up right where she started, just a bit messier. This book is published in Spanish under the title Si le das un pastilito a un gato.
- Teddy and the Undersea Kingdom written and illustrated by Jan Mogensen, is an honorable mention in this category, though the book may be out of print. This book is part of a series of books about Teddy, a loveable bear with his own series of books similar to Paddington or Cordorouy. In this book, a flight of fancy with airy pastel watercolor illustrations, Teddy rescues an underwater clam princess. The cover of this book is not shown but it is available on Amazon.
Early Childhood Links
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Siegfried Engelmann ♦ Start a Home School Preschool Co-Op ♦ Using Music Education Techniques in Your Toddler/Preschool Storytime ♦ Start a Preschool Storytime Program/ Story Hour at Your Library ♦ Preschool Story Hour Ideas: Using Storytime Themes In a Sample Lesson ♦ Great Read-Aloud Children's Books with Reviews and Sample Lesson Plans ♦ Goldilocks And the Three Bears Preschool Creative Drama Activity ♦ Music Education Techniques to Use in Your Toddler/Preschool Story Hour
More by this Author
Here is the basic formula I use for our library's story hour. I use books, music, movement, and transitions to create the sense of routine that young children crave.
Snowballs by Lois Ehlert is a whimsical children's picture book containing a family of collage-art snowmen. Use the ideas in this article to augment your preschool curriculum
Art of the American West has become an increasingly popular genre during the last century. Here I discuss a selection of some of the most well-known artists of the 19th century American frontier.