Books, Literature, and Writing Template
Before you Begin, Start off With a Good Title!
A good title is the most important part of writing a Hub. Of course your Hub has to be informative, well-written, and better than the competition to succeed, but if you have all of those elements and a poor title, you will have a difficult time garnering search traffic. A good title:
- Is a common search term around your topic
- Is clear, concise, descriptive, specific, and sounds organic
- Does not repeat keywords - don't, don't keyword stuff your title, subtitles, or text!
- Matches your content
Lastly, type your title into Google and see what articles show up as the first results. If you can beat the results with a better, more informative Hub then go for it! If not, we recommend trying a new title or choosing another topic.
For more information on crafting a good title, check out our Learning Center guide on title creation.
High-Quality, Long-Format Content Is King!
Today's online writing world is incredibly competitive! In order to build trust with search engines and build a following, online writers have to be exceptional. To increase your chances of success, we recommend that your Hubs:
Be Sure to Include Lots of Photos!
Keep Your Readers on Your Hub!
When beginning a Hub, we recommend jumping right in. Some things you might do when opening your Hub:
- Answer the question of your title right off the bat so that your readers don't hit the dreaded back button to continue searching on their topic somewhere else
- Share some fascinating statistics or facts about the place or subject you are covering
- Explain why you are particularly well suited to be writing a Hub on this subject
- Give a brief overview of the information you will be covering in the Hub
Add Search-Friendly Captions to Your Photos
Be Sure to Use Search-Friendly Subtitles
Though capsule subtitles are entirely optional, however including them in your Hubs and making sure they are search friendly can make your Hub even more likely to be found via search engines (and this is how most Hubs gain traffic).
What is a search-friendly subtitle?
- A subtitle that is short and descriptive (e.g. Top 10 Famous Authors of the 20th Century)
- A subtitle that matches common search terms (e.g. The Best Fiction Novels of the 20th Century)
In other words, you should craft subtitles for capsules the same way you craft a title for your Hub!
Don't Forget Video!
If, in the midst of some writing research, you came across a great video, don't hesitate to add it to your Hub! It might entice readers into staying with your page a bit longer, plus it can be an excellent source of additional information on which you might not be an expert.
You might search for videos:
- Showcasing your topic in a new way
- Sharing more about your topic
- Offering tips about your topic
Add Relevant Video to Engage Your Readers
Are You Providing Concrete Facts?
The more specific facts, tips, and figures you can add to your Hub, the better! Give your readers facts on your topic that will be interesting and useful.
- Bullets or numbers are a great way to provide this information in a format that is easy to read and disseminate
- If a table would be a useful way to articulate your information, add one
Don't Be Afraid to Do Additional Research!
Supplementing Hubs in which you share your personal tips with additional information can give them a great competitive edge.
Your personal opinion is valuable. While it shouldn't be the main focus of your Hub, don't shy away from giving your Hubs a personal feel.
Adding additional research or hands-on experience to your Hubs is a great way to show your expertise, and if you took original photos, please use them!
Always Use High-Quality Photos
Polls Are a Great Way to Increase User Engagement!
Who is your favorite author?See results without voting
Add Additional Capsules
Feel free to add other relevant capsules to your Hub by clicking the "Insert Capsule" icon! The following capsules could be a great addition:
- Table Capsule to share numerical data
- Map Capsule to show location-based information
- Quiz Capsule to test your readers
- Text and Photo Capsules to add additional information
Good luck and Happy Hubbing!
More by this Author
Hubs addressing issues related to health need to go above and beyond to prove that they are providing safe, trustworthy information. Some ideas for a strong, polished start include: A thought-provoking or interesting...
Personal finance is one of the most popular topics online. Every person- be he a prince or a pauper- has to deal with money in some way or another, and millions of people conduct searches about money management and...
Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons A good title is the most important part of writing a Hub. Of course your Hub has to be informative, well-written, and better than the competition to succeed, but if you have all of...