Children Book Review: I Miss You
After the death of their father in December of 2009, I knew that my children would need grief counseling. To my surprise, there was not much out there in the world of therapy and child psychology being offered to children. I turned to the bookstore and again was surprised at how very little there is for young children (my youngest are eight and nine).
On the shelves, tucked between books about their changing bodies, I found this sweet and straight forward first look at death, entitled just that: "I Miss You. A First Look At Death" by Pat Thomas. Twenty-nine pages of meaningful illustrations and content. The last two pages include a guide on how to use the book for parents or caregivers, suggestions for resources and further reading.
Here is my review of this wonderful book about loss for young readers:
- Each page is illustrated beautifully and helps children to understand the concepts told on each page. Exceptional for the visual child or for younger children where the story is being read to them.
- The book introduces the fact that death is a part of life and what happens when someone dies in terms children can comprehend.
- The book discusses the gamut of feelings a child may go through and that is normal to feel each and every emotion.
- Touching on guilt, letting the child know that the death was in no way their fault and that the person that passed loved them.
- This wonderful book is straight forward, easy to read and understand, acknowledging their thoughts and feelings and validating them.
- My favorite part was the ending, I won't give it away, but it was a beautiful concept of life after death for children wondering where there loved one has gone and what has happened to them.
I recommend this book for parents with a young reader(s) who is/are dealing with the loss of a loved one.
More by this Author
Cooking and baking for a large family can be quite time consuming. This recipe is one our family favorites, it is simple, easy to prepare, nutritious, and best of all... delicious! This recipe is designed to feed a...
Pictures, music, videos and other such files bogging down your PC or Laptop? What's worse is what if your computer crashes? All those great memories and tunes or that novel you have been working on for two years now,...
Kissing is a very personal, intimate and sensual experience for women. Do you remember a first kiss that felt as if it stopped your heart? The soft whisper of breath on your lips, your heart pounds, lips touch and the...