How to Create a Poetic Scrapbook
Adding poetry to a scrapbook of memories will help you preserve more than just pictures of your life and experiences, it will allow you to capture the emotion of the event, people or places involved. Pictures may be worth 1,000 words, but a poem can touch your soul and spark your memories with substantial power.
You can write your own poems, letters or journal entries to accompany your photos, or you can use the words of others, that you feel capture the feeling of the moment. You will find links to the lower right that will aid you in finding the perfect quotation or poem for the occasion.
Find the Perfect Quote
Ideas For Creating and Using Poetry and Journaling in Scrapbooking
- When crafting a scrapbook for a baby or child, include a love letter. Recall how you felt before they were born, and how your life has changed since their arrival. Include their favorite nursery rhymes, songs, or excerpts from their favorite story.
- For a child’s scrapbook, adapt their favorite Seuss story to include their name, the town you live in or other personal factors to make it personal.
- Create an alphabet scrapbook for your toddler. Take pictures of him / her exploring the world and organize it alphabetically. Write a little alphabet poem to follow page by page. (See example below)
- Create a wedding scrapbook and include the lyrics to your wedding song, your vows, favorite poems and well wishes from cards you received. Find a classic love poem that expresses your feelings accurately or write a love letter to your spouse, recalling the day, the preparations, or the commitment made.
- Create a family history album and include a poem from noted poets of each particular time period you are illustrating. If you have pictures of your ancestors at Ellis Island, you could use the verse found on the Statue of Liberty, or a poem or song lyrics about freedom.
- Create a memoir scrapbook for a loved one, such as a parent or grandparent. Include pictures for their childhood and early years accompanied by lyrics from their favorite old songs. Write a letter or poem expressing how much they mean to you, and how they have influenced your life. View example below.
- Create a memorial scrapbook to honor someone you have lost. Include letters they have written, write about their influence in your life, or include a poem that expresses how deeply you miss them.
Focus on expressing your feelings; don’t worry about writing a poem in perfect form, or whether your grammar is correct. Just have fun with it. You may surprise yourself!
This is an excerpt from the alphabet book I wrote for my daughter. Each line can accompany a picture of your children exploring the world around them.
Toddler Town – An Alphabet Book
Hi! My name is Chloe
I love living in this town.
Here are thing I see and do
When mom takes me around.
A is for this Anthill. Mommy says to leave it be.
B is for this little bridge, a perfect size for me
C is for the church, I wish I could ring the bell
D is for the dentist who cares for teeth so well!
E is for the elementary school, where I will learn great things.
F is for the fisherman and the tasty food he brings.
Here is an excerpt from a letter I wrote to my grandmother, to be included on the front page of a memoir scrapbook I created for her 89th birthday. I am including it to illustrate how easy it can be to use questions for the reader to answer as an effective method of communicating a point.
If someone were to ask me who the most influential person in my life has been –well- you know the answer!
Who has always loved me?
Who has nurtured me and supported every little dream I have ever dreamed?
Who read to me for hours and told me tales both true and tall?
Who would always listen, no matter what I had to say?
Scrapbooking Magazines, Tips and Help
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE21
Clear and simple tips to finally get your financial records organized, including what to keep and what to shred.
Taking the time to write a short story, poem or keeping a journal that highlights your child's life can be rewarding for you and a special gift for your child.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE132
A lighthearted look at sweet things you can do to show a man you love him.