Inspiring Quotes For Writers
Life as a writer
Life as a writer is a very hard road to choose. I'm not saying it's not a great life, I'm just saying that for most people it is a life full of rejection slips and disappointment. For others it is a life of joy and acceptance.
I love to write. I have had my share of both sides of the writing coin. I have been accepted and I have been rejected. Through it all I have managed to hold my head high and keep marching on.
In this hub I have included some special quotes that have helped me along the way when I have felt like giving up. I hope you enjoy them.
Steps of Writing
- Prewriting - this is the step where you decide what you are going to write, who your audience is, and find the information you need by researching your topic. Check to see what the popular searches are and which keywords are being searched. You want to make sure there is an audience out there for the subject you are writing about.
- Drafting - in this step you write out your article using your research. It doesn't have to be perfect. What you are trying to do is arrange your words into sentences and paragraphs and see if it says what you intended it to say. Here is also when you check for photos, videos, amazon and ebay items to add to your hub. You will also consider whether a poll, map, table, or quiz can be included.
- Revising - here you read and reread your rough draft. You decide if it makes sense, you add, rearrange, and take out words. Make sure you read your new draft out loud, this way you can hear if it flows Now you go over your tag words and select your links. Make sure they are relevant to your article.
- Proofread - now you check your grammar, spelling and punctuation. Make sure you have complete sentence, no run on sentences, and you have capitalized everything that needs it. Double check the flow of your article. You want people to read it from beginning to end.
- Publish - for use at hubpages this is the time to push that publish now button. Oh, what a feeling. Now you wait to start getting those comments. Of course, you job is not completely done. You will need to keep checking on your hub. Make sure it is getting traffic. Answer any comments you receive. Make any changes you need on your hub. Make sure you keep an eye on it.
Inspirational Quotes For Writers
- I've got a folder full of rejection slips that I keep. Know why? Because those same editors are calling my agent hoping I'll write a book or novella for them. Things change. A rejection slip today might mean a frantic call to your agent in six months. - MaryJanice Davidson
- Best advice on writing I've ever received. Finish. - Peter Mayle
- The more a man writes the more he can write. - William Hazlitt
- It takes twenty years to make an overnight success. ~ Eddie Cantor
- Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by those things you didn't do then by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
- There are two kinds of writers: those that make you think and those who make you wonder. - Brian Aldiss
- There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately no one knows what they are. - Somerset Maugham
- When writing a novel a write should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature. - Ernest Hemingway
- I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions. - James Michener
- If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasen't been written yet, then you must write it. - Toni Morrison
- I'm just going to write because I can't help it. - Charlotte Bronte
- The faster I writer, the better my input. If I'm going slow, I'm in trouble. It means I'm pushing the words instead of being pulled by them. - Raymond Chandler
- There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. - Ernest Hemingway
- I never learned to empty the well of my writing, but always to stop when there was something there in the deep part of the well, and let it refill at night the spring that fed it. The first draft is always shit. - Ernest Hemingway
- To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make. - Truman Capote
- If you're going to be a writer, the first essential is just to write. Do not wait for an idea. Start writing something and the ideas will come. You have to turn the faucet on before the water starts to flow. - Louis L'Amour
- Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning: I wanted to know what I was going to say. - Sharon O'Brien
- The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. - Isaac Bashevis Singer
- You must want to enough. Enough to take all the rejections, enough to pay the price of disappointment and discouragement while you are learning. Like any other artist you must learn your craft-then you can add all the genius you want. - Phyllis A. Whitney
- I have to write the story I want to write. I never wrote them with a focus group of 8 year olds in mind. I have to continue telling the story the way I want to tell it. J. K. Rowling
- I write for the same reason I breathe-if I didn't, I'd die. - Isaac Asimov
- Write from your heart; rewrite from your head. - Viki King
- What I like in a good author is not what he says, but what he whispers. - Logan Pearsall Smith
10 Steps to Becoming a Better Writer
Write even more.
Write even more than that.
Write when you don't want to.
Write when you do.
Write when you have something to say.
Write when you don't.
Write every day.
~ Brian Clark ~
Becoming a better writer- Writing from the heart
- Meditate - focus on what you are writing. Once you are truly focused it will open up a whole world of ideas.
- Show - show, don't tell how your character feels. Don't just say she was happy, show how she is feeling happy. Ex: she hummed a happy tune, she gave a little skip, her smile spread across her face.
- Sentence length - Shorter sentences build up to a climax while longer sentences are more descriptive and tell a story.
- Read - I can't emphasize this enough. Read everything you can get your hands on. The more you read the better you can develop your characters.
- Descriptive words - Make sure you use strong, descriptive words. Rather than saying "His heart beat a little faster", say "his heart was thundering in his heart. It beat so hard he wondered that it stayed securely in his chest."
- Imagination - leave some of the action to the imagination. Your reader doesn't need every little detail about your character's love life. Sometime their imagination will take them further than you.
- Rough draft - nobody writes a perfect first draft. Allow yourself to make mistake, to write a really rough draft. Make sure you are prepared to rewrite, maybe more than once.
- Write - write, write, write, and write some more. The more you write the more experience you will have. The more experience you have the better you will become.
- Avoid Writing Clichés: Good writing means learning ...
A look at using familiar phrases in writing, this article discusses the nature of writers making choices, and considers what is at stake when using
- Improve Writing Skills with Connotation: Verbs and A...
Tips for using verbs and adjectives with connotation to improve your writing skills, with examples. Written by a retired writing/literature teacher.
- The Best Topics for Writing Articles
What are the best topics for writing articles on the web? Find out what subjects are likely to be the most lucrative.
- How to Earn $1000 a Month Writing at Hubpages
How would you like to me an extra thousand a month writing online? Here is a plan to be able to earn $1000 a month at Hubpages.
More by this Author
Baby showers are fun and full of promise. A special gift at this time is especially appreciated.
The Supreme Court of the U.S. met for the first time on February 1, 1790. Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809. Super Bowl XLIV will be held February 6th at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. On...
Remember that special aunt or uncle that always showed how much they cared? Now you can show them how much you care by sending them a loving quote.