Five Reasons To Publish With Smashwords
Self publishing is becoming mainstream, especially in the fiction markets. I don't need to tell you that. What you might be wondering, if you're planning on publishing some fiction of your own this year, is which online distribution service to choose. There are several to choose from of course. There's the Amazon KDP program for instance, which has enjoyed significant popularity over the years and which was once the obvious choice for any self published author.
Smashwords however, is starting to make a serious impact on the e publishing market. Here are five reasons why a new author might want to use Smashwords for their ebook in 2013.
1. Smashwords offers distribution throughout all major e book markets. Publish with Smashwords and you'll get free distribution to Amazon, Nook, the iStore, the Sony store, Barnes and Noble, Library Direct, Diesel and more. This gives you a global reach superior to any other online e-distributor. They also provide a storefront on their own site, so if you want to sell a book in a limited run to a limited audience, you can also opt out of global distribution. You always have total control over where your ebook is up for sale.
2. Smashwords offers a superior author cut. Amazon's KDP service offers a 35% cut on a 99 cent ebook. Smashwords offers a 56% cut. This doesn't apply to ebooks sold through their retail partners, but to books sold through the Smashwords store.
3. Smashwords has consistently sought out new partners and cuts Smashwords specific deals with those partners. Smashwords authors who published prior to Christmas 2012 experienced a significant lift in sales through the iStore, whilst many who published with KDP experienced an ongoing slump.
4. Smashwords customer support is very impressive. Smashwords is run by a very small team, just twenty people, but they are pretty quick on their customer support. You'll usually receive a reply within 48 to 72 hours and it is never an automated response. Unlike other e-publishers, which seem to go out of their way to avoid contact with indie authors and quite often outright ignore them, Smashwords has friendly, personalized service.
5. Smashwords is a friend to authors. It is, without a doubt, the most authorcentric e-distributor for ebooks. Smashwords has consistently advocated on the behalf of indie authors, both with other e book retailers, with PayPal and with credit card companies. Smashwords continually aligns its priorities with those of indie authors, which cannot be said of all e book retailers, especially Amazon KDP, which appears to be skewed by its loyalty to the rest of the Amazon empire.
If you're interested in more comparison between Smashwords and KDP as a publishing platform, check out: Should You Publish With Smashwords or Amazon KDP in 2013?
More by this Author
As a woman, I write a great deal about men who wear lingerie. To be honest, it has become rather a passion of mine over the past few years, but it wasn't always that way. This is the story of how I came upon this...
It has been brought to my attention that some men have been lead astray by the liberal atheist homosexual agenda and wear women's lingerie. This is a danger to society at large and must be stopped forthwith. Fortunately...
So dirty, how to make it clean again? If you're anything like me, when you started out your new hobby life as an aquarist, you bought a second hand fish tank. Second hand fish tanks, assuming they don't leak,...