How To Get Started As A Freelance Writer From Home
Freelance Writing From Home
Freelance Writing From Home
Are you thinking about starting your own Home Based Freelance Writing Business but don't know where to start? This Article serves as a Basic Guide for Learning What It Takes to be a Freelance Writer from your Own Home and How To Make the Best of your Space and Time. Get started as a Home-Based Freelance Writing Professional Today!
Do You Have What It Takes? Ask Yourself Some Questions.
Before you invest in any new venture, you need to make sure that you are a good fit for the industry. Many business fail in the first year because there is not enough research or experience by the person who started the business. Don't fall into this trap!
Before starting a Freelance Writing Business in your home you need to ask yourself a few questions:
- Are You Self Motivated?
- Do You Use Your Time Effectively?
- Can You Separate Home and Family Life from Work?
- Do You Have the Skills and Experience To Write Professionally?
If you answered Yes to those questions, you might want to consider the Freelance Writing Field. If you think that working from home may be a distraction because of your environment, then Freelance Writing might not be for you!
What Do You Need to Start Freelance Writing?
The most important skill you need as a Freelancer is your Writing Skills. You need to be a master of the English Language (or whatever language you choose to write in) and you have to have perfect Spelling and Grammar.
Another skill that is important is Time Management. Can you stick to a regular schedule on your own? It is very easy to get distracted while working at home. You need to be able to separate family life and work while maintaining a sense of balance with both.
A great suggestion for anyone starting in the Freelance Writing from Home field is to start part time. Don't quit your current job and try to start from scratch. You may find after a few weeks that you don't enjoy the field like you thought you would and you need to always have a back-up plan.
One of the most important and often most difficult things about starting any home-based business is getting your family to understand and support you during the transition. You should always communicate with your family and explain to them what your goals are and how you need them to support you in this exciting venture.
Writing a Business Plan
For anyone who wants to start a business, they need to have a plan and it needs to be in writing. This is particularly important if you are requesting funding or investments from outside people. They will always want to see your written business plan.
Here are some things that should be written into your business plan:
- Specifically what you plan to write: what products will you offer?
- How do you plan to Market your work?
- How will you get clients?
- How will you advertise?
- What equipment do you need and what is the cost of your start-up?
- What laws and regulations should you be aware of, particularly for setting up a Home-based business in your area?
- How will you keep track of progress, finances and taxes?
- What is your Mission Statement?
This is just the tip of the iceberg! Many Business Plans are at least 25-30 pages long and a great deal of concentration should go into recording the financial aspect of your business, including keeping track of profit and expenses with the aid of Financial Software such as a spreadsheet.
Get The Tools For Online Freelance Writing Success!
Do You Have Adequate Space to Work?
Setting up a Home Office is one of the most valuable tools of a Home Based Freelance Writer. I am sure there are Freelancers out there that work from their kitchen table, but if you were to take a poll, you will most likely find that successful Freelance Writers have a Home Office that is separate from the rest of their house.
Organizing Your Office and Work Space
Organization is key to being successful as a Freelance Writer. If you are cluttered and messy it will be reflected in your work. Having Reference Books organized neatly in a bookcase is a great way to start. Every Freelance Writer should have the following References always available:
- Grammar and Style Book
Obviously these are just a few of the tools that you will need to start Freelance Writing. One of the most important tools you need is a Computer that is connected to the Internet. You should have some type of Word Processing Software such as Microsoft Word.
Stay Organized! Avoid Clutter!
Learn More About Getting Organized
- Valuable Lessons Learned Writing Online: Tips on How To Get Organized, Research and Publish Quality
Are you new to Writing Online? If so, one of the best things you can do to break into the market is to take advice from Seasoned Published Authors. These are some of this Author's Experiences from Years of Writing Online.
Setting Up an Organized Home Office Is Important To Be a Productive and Profiting Freelance Writer
Different Types of Freelance Writing Assignments
Typical Writing Assignments
Creating Instructional Videos
Blogging for Companies
Product and Business Reviews
How To Get Freelance Jobs
There are many ways to get Freelance Writing Jobs and there is no shortage of them online. Always take caution when responding to online job offers. Beware of scams and of people that solicit your services only to steal your content once you create it for them.
Always research the company or person asking to use your services. Never give any work unless it is a short sample without first obtaining a fee. Whether it is 10% or even 50% of the total, you should always require a deposit before submitting any work. You may choose to make the deposit refundable or non-refundable depending on your preference.
Many Professional Freelance Writers offer a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and some include a small portion of a non-refundable fee for their time should the client decide not to purchase your product. Always be careful that a client doesn't decline your work and copy it themselves.
Do You Have What It Takes?
Is Freelance Writing From Home a Good Fit For You?See results without voting
Websites That Pay For Freelance Work
- Freelance Writing Jobs | A Freelance Writing Community and Freelance Writing Jobs Resource
This site is updated daily and offers writing assignments that pay. Visit the "Job Leads" section of the site.
- Editor & Publisher ®
Check out this site's Classified Section for writing and editing opportunities.
- All Freelance Writing
A directory of Freelance Writing Markets that pay. Search by job or category.
Make Your Own Money At Home! Legally!
Charging Fees and Rates For Your Work and Time
Obviously the point of Freelance Writing from home is to make enough money to support yourself. You will have to come up with a system of fees that is beneficial to you for your time and effort while maintaining a competitive price for your clients.
One of the best ways to decide what to charge for your work is to research what similar businesses in your demographic area charge for similar work. There are also several online resources that help in planning how much to charge.
There are 2 basic ways to charge clients:
- By the Hour
- By the Project
Many Professional Freelance Writers use a combination of both. If you are writing particularly short (500 words or less) projects such as business reviews, Ghost Blogging, etc. you may want to use the Charge Per Project instead of using the hourly rate method to maximize your earnings.
Don't sell yourself short! Many people who enter the business either charge too much or too little for their services. Many new Freelancers are willing to work for next to nothing just to get writing jobs. Although this could help build your resume it will not build your bank account! Be selective when charging a client. Each client is different and you may need to negotiate a price for your services.
The following articles may be of help to those who are interested in starting a Home-Based Freelance Writing business.
You Can Make Money as a Freelance Writer!
Start Freelancing on HubPages and Make Money from Affiliate Advertising!
- How To Make Money Writing Online on Hub Pages? Earn Cash Money Profit Through HubPages Affiliate Adv
A Guide to the basics of making money on HubPages through the various Ad and Affiliate Programs and How To Sign Up for and Use each Program. Programs include eBay and Amazon as well as the HubPages Earnings Program.
Hit a Wall In Your Writing?
Suffering From Writer's Block? Overcome It With These Easy Tips!
- 10 Tips That Will Help Overcome Writers Block for Writers on HubPages
Let's face it. Many if not most writers face that horrible plague of "Writer's Block" from time to time. Not to worry! It is normal, and with these 10 Useful Tips to help get you out of this funk, you will be writing again in no time!
Where Do You See Yourself In 5 Years?
Join The Best Online Publishing Site and Lead the Future!
- Content Wars: HubPages and The Future of Online Video Photo Publishing for Effective Advertising
"Quality Content Is... A Publication of Information that a Publisher Provides for People Searching for Specific Information. The Author's Content is Easy to Understand and is Presented to the Reader with Comprehensive Information, so that the Info...
There Is An Ocean of Opportunities Waiting For You Out There!
Conclusion: Where Go From Here
So where do you start? Here are some helpful tips for getting started Writing as a Home-Based Freelance Writer:
- As with any business venture, starting a Home-Based Freelance Writing Business requires a lot of time, effort and research. You will need some start-up money, time to write your Business Plan, and the support of your family.
- If you think that Freelance Writing from Home is a good fit for you, start by writing down your goals and what you want to accomplish in your first six months. Start writing your Business Plan and do some online research to find out what other Professional Freelance Writers are charging in your area.
- Remember to check with your local laws and make sure your business is legal! Many cities and towns have regulations for setting up businesses in their home. Do your research before you set everything up to avoid getting into legal trouble!
- Always use good Accounting Practices! Keep track of every detail of your earnings and expenses. Home Based Businesses are one of the highest fields of work that are subject to IRS Audits. Keep receipts and client invoices and always keep your books up to date! It would be a shame if all your hard earned money and time were to be jeopardized because of careless accounting errors!
- You can start soliciting your services to local companies by creating a brochure for your business. Mailings and door to door calling do work but remember that businesses are very busy and often don't like cold-call soliciting. Sending a letter or making a call to set up a meeting time is often the best non-invasive way to get leads.
- Never take on a job that you are not comfortable with! If a job is too big or complicated or you don't think that you have the time or experience to complete it, don't take the offer! You can always explain to the client that you appreciate their offer but you do not have the time to complete the task and you may even want to refer another Freelancer from you area. There is nothing wrong with referring business to others in the field. There is no shortage of work for a Freelancer who is looking for work.
- Don't get overwhelmed! Do not take on too many responsibilities all at once! Pace yourself and expect delays (electricity is out because of a storm, no Internet connection for a day...) Allow yourself enough time to get the job done.
- Respect Client Deadlines! Often times clients have specific deadlines for their projects and if you can't keep a deadline, you will lose future business and also get a bad reputation. Never take a job that you can't finish on time!
More by this Author
- 14Top 10 Good Books to Read For Teens and Young Adults: Reading List To Keep Teenage Girls Reading More Than Hunger Games
Getting your teens to read is not always an easy task! You have to supply them with books they will be interested in or you are wasting your time! In this Hub Article we will explore the Top 10 Best Selling Books for...
Blogmutt is a site that allows you to earn $8.00 for writing specific, quality 300-350 word blog posts for their clients. This is a legitimate site and you can earn money very quickly.
Learn about cast iron cookware and its benefits and how to season, clean, and store it.