Farther vs. Further
Farther versus Further
Throughout history, farther and further have been used interchangeably. Even the Merriam-Webster Dictionary states that the words are interchangeable; they are the inflected form of far. It is not until recent history that they are becoming distinguished by grammarians.
Farther shows a relation to physical distance. If you can replace the word farther with "more miles" then you have done it correctly.
- Our car drove farther than I thought it would on one tank of gas.
- I wanted to run farther, but I became too exhausted.
- Our house is farther away from the restaurant than yours.
Further relates to metaphorical distance or depth. It is a time, degree, or quantity. It is also another way of saying "additional".
- I asked that there be further discussion on the matter.
- I need to look further into the logistics of moving farther from my office building.
- I hope that gas prices drop further for our road trip vacation.
More by this Author
Understanding the difference between affect and effect. Definitions and examples to use these often confused words correctly.
What is the difference between sympathy and empathy? Definitions of the the two as well as differences and comparisons.
Harvesting honey from your hive is a fun and exciting endeavor. Photos, videos, and step by step instructions to extracting honey from your backyard hive.