How to Make Money Freelancing--Legitimate Methods to Earn Income From Home
This Hub Discusses Legitimate Ways to Make Real Money Freelancing
I'm pushing the curtain back and discussing sites where you can make REAL MONEY, no fluff or scam sites that promise the world but fail to deliver the goods. If you want to WORK AT HOME, the following information will help you to start earning.
Times have gotten tighter, expenses continue to rise, and many individuals are looking for additional methods to supplement their income levels--and they wonder if they can somehow work from home, freelancing online to earn more money each month.
The thought of drumming up income working from home is an attractive concept and most people know that freelancing may be their ticket to earnings. And this is not a stretch. Most people own computers and most have seen work-at-home jobs advertised. It's only natural to wonder if there is a way to break in and earn money.
Someone who has never freelanced from home, though, may have questions as to how to actually get started. So many so-called opportunities either petition you for an up-front fee or suggest costly training materials or are thinly disguised pyramid schemes. Earning amounts are laughable. Or you may find a site offering to actually pay your for your hard work, yet, while the site demands flawless grammar and spelling it does not feel the need to compensate you for your time and hard work. For example, have you ever seen compensation at $1.00-$5.00 for a researched 500-word article? This is an insult.
What can you actually do and where do you look for legitimate paying work? This Hub will discuss opportunities that are open to you. By the time you've finished reading, you'll have a better idea of what's available and how to make real money freelancing.
Is it easy? No. But if you work at it, you can make money from home and over time, develop this into a full-time endeavor, if you so desire.
Your Home Computer
Many have wondered if they could use their home computer--a piece of equipment they already own and have mastered the necessary skills to operate--to generate income. This is a good question. It's not a stretch to consider how a machine that has so much functionality might be used for more than pleasure. After all, you've already invested in a piece of expensive equipment that gives you access to potential employers and sites that may be outsourcing certain tasks to freelancers.
You may have time available that you would be willing to invest to make money freelancing, or you might be willing to buy out time from other activities because you have bills you have to pay and you know that the first step to earning money is investing your time.
If you have certain skills, such as word processing, typing, sales experience, office management, etc., you can use these skills to "hop-scotch" over to freelancing. In fact, if you already have a skill-set, you are in an ideal position to make money freelancing online.
Being Willing to Break Out of Your Comfort Zone
If you plan to transition to online freelancing, it can be done but what you'll have to bring to the table is a willingness to learn new skills. The good news is that whether you have a skill-set or not, you can still break into freelancing. Many opportunities offer entry-level positions and often, your own determination to either supplement your income or work for yourself is all that is needed to scare up work online, once you know where to look. As long as you are willing to read through instructions and learn how to complete tasks, you can earn money. BUT, and here's the important "but" you have to know where to look online and register for the right sites to make real money freelancing.
Ready to Make Money Freelancing?
You can waste a lot of time chasing after pipe-dreams and scams. So many promises are made that do not come to fruition. This Hub cuts through the chaff so that you have the necessary information to access legitimate sites where you can make real money.
Okay, let's get to the "meat and bones." Where do you start? This next section will take a look at the type of freelance work that is available online. I haven't included actual links to these sites because of the HubPage policy regarding outbound links but you can find these companies by searching out their names in your browser.
Use the information in any section below for the type of work you would be interested in doing. Find the applicable site, register and work through the requirements, and soon, you'll be making money freelancing online!
Make money answering questions...
Did you know that you can make money answering questions? While the pay rate is low, because this type of work does not consume much time, it is a good way to make quick cash. You can earn money answering questions at sites such as:
- Web Answers--(rev share on pages). You have to answer 50 questions before you qualify to start earning but this site looks promising and if you enjoy answering questions, this might be a good way to earn extra income. Especially suited for someone who wants to start earning without skills-testing or for those who are experts in a given field and can offer their insights.
- ChaCha (U.S only)--This may not seem like much but for someone who types quickly and who is willing to spend a couple of hours answering questions, this might be a fit. To illustrate, if you answered 10 questions per hour @ .46, you would earn $4.60; if you answered 20 questions @.46, you would earn $9.20 per hour. Multiply that by 8 hours and you'd be looking at approximately $72.00-$73.00 for a day's work. This might be a tad monotonous, but certainly it might prove lucrative for the right candidate.
Make money keying in data...
In amongst all the scams are a couple of legitimate data entry positions. You may be required to key in what you see on a screen to test your ability to accurately input data.
- Axion--not hiring presently but it might not hurt to add your details for future openings for data entry operators.
- Key for Cash--if you can type, you can enter data for Key for Cash. You'll have to take three tests to determine your percentile but if you don't quite make it the first time, you can retest. This gives you chance to become familiar with the site's requirements. The tests are somewhat longer so be prepared to spend time taking each one. It might be a good idea to break it up a little because the information for keying in words and numbers can be a lot to digest all in one sitting.
Data entry jobs are often hit-and-miss but it doesn't hurt to apply for these jobs and complete tasks as work becomes available. Data entry is relatively easy way to earn money trading your time. The work is rather repetitive but it does allow someone to earn income from home.
Review products and make money for your honest reviews...
Reviewing products can be lucrative, depending on what site you review for. The following review opp. pays a decent amount.
- Software Judge--if you are knowledgeable about software, you can earn up to $50.00 for an honest review of software products.
Make money transcribing lectures, interviews and other audio files...
If you can type you can do transcription work. Some sites allow newbies to break in, while other sites have a higher criteria but pay more. Most sites require a skill test but this is usually not overly difficult. Transcribing involves accurately typing what you hear--and there is a demand for this type of service.
While medical transcription necessitates training in use of medical terms, other general-type transcription jobs require putting into text, the spoken word. For someone who likes typing, this type of work is ideal.
A good way to start is to get your feet wet via companies that are willing to work with new transcribers. Once you feel comfortable with the process, you can move up to higher paying transcription jobs. You will need either a headset, if using a desktop computer, or a laptop with built in sound + a foot pedal. I would suggest you try transcribing first before investing in any equipment.
Scribie--What I like about Scribie is that you can pick the files you would like to work on and can work as little or as much as you desire. While the pay rates are on the low-side, this is off-set by a system that incorporates a series of check and balances so that the individual transcriber is not weighed down with demands. Some of the other companies pay more but the transcriber shoulders most of the burden. For longer files this can be problematic because often, these require more than one set of eyes to spot the errors. Another plus about Scribie is that you do not have to take a typing speed test. You do have to accurately transcribe what you hear.
QuickTate--transcribe voicemails, letters documents. Choose how many hours you work. QuickTate hires in U.S. and other countries.
SpeakWrite--while SpeakWrite is not hiring presently, you can enter your email address to be notified of future typing/transcribing jobs. Pay rates, as stated at the site, are @ $12.00-$15.00 per hour, once you become used to the SpeakWrite system. Experience with word processing and 65-words per minute typing speed is required. You can work as little or as much as you want.
Build an audience and make money creating blog posts for companies that are seeking content for their sites...
There are plenty of "paid-to-blog" sites out there but for the purpose of this Hub, I'll skip these, since payments are infrequent and people usually have their own established blog already. Additionally, bloggers may have noticed a decrease in their site ranking after including paid posts on their blog. (If this is your particular oyster, see Write and Earn a Living. I have a page there with a listing of paid-to-blog sites.)
Sites that offer greater earnings potential are sites that pay bloggers to create short posts (articles) at their sites (not the blogger's own blog) on a regular basis, either via an upfront payment per article or through revenue sharing. These are a good bet because you either earn money per article or or your earnings come in month after month. Another plus is that you can concentrate on writing while the site takes care of promotion and traffic generation.
Why these type of jobs are ideal is that word-counts are generally lower. It is much easier to create a 200-300-word post over a longer, comprehensive article.
- Wise Bread--for those writers who make the cut, Wise Bread offer 100% revenue share on articles posted on the site. This is a good deal for writers because they earn on their posts indefinitely.
- Families--Families bloggers create 300-word posts around family topics and are paid $4.00 per post. New bloggers undergo a 90-day training period. Hardworking bloggers can create as many posts as they like, and, of course, the more that is posted, the more a blogger earns. Annual raises.
- SocialNexus--if you can create at least 10, 300-word posts for SocialNexus each month, you stand to earn $15.00 per article. For those who can write a large number of articles, this could be a good source of revenue.
Write articles for different companies and make money doing so...
Did you know that you can write articles and you'll receive payment for these? And you don't have to have a degree to do so. As long as you can craft properly spelled and grammatically correct articles, you can sign up with a number of sites online and generate income. a word of warning, make sure you don't waste time at sites that offer a pittance for your hard work. Article writing is hard work and you should be compensated accordingly. (If you already are earning monthly rev share passive income and want to boost your monthly income amounts, adding a gig that offers up-front payments is a good way to increase your monthly earnings overall.
- Textbroker--hires beginning and experienced writers to create content for clients.
- QualityGal--$12.00-$18.00 per article. SEO training.
- iWriters--it takes just minutes to register and you can start checking out paid article writing jobs. This might be something a newer writers tries, to get used to writing articles and earning money by doing so. Pay rates are on the low-side but writers who rise through the ranks earn more over time. A video explains how to use the site.
- Scripted--Scripted offers decent pay rates.
- HubPages--if you haven't done already, HubPages is a great site to write articles (Hubs) and earn money doing so The great thing is that you can pick and choose what you want to write about, which gives you flexibility, without the pressure of having to meet deadlines. Additionally, once you create your Hubs, you are free to go in an edit them later, to catch any errors you missed. You can flesh out your Hubs and work to improve them, all on your own time, and build residual income, once you've create a number of Hubs. Perhaps no other site offers so many ways to earn.
Make Money With RedGage
Drive traffic to your published articles and earn from doing so.
If you are already earning money online, a good site to increase your earnings while promoting your online content is RedGage. You simply include your stuff and RedGage promotes it via their network.
As stated at the site: "RedGage is a first-of-its-kind web site that pays people for their online content and monetizes their social activity."
Earnings are not mere pennies, either. Checking the site, some articles have earned revenue with RedGage Bonuses on top of other earnings, if they've been featured on the front page.
While not relying on RedGage as a primary income source, you stand to earn on your online articles because of increased traffic levels, so this is a good expenditure of your time.
Do You Make Money Freelancing?See results without voting
Best Strategy to Make Money Freelancing
If you treat your freelancing work as you would a job, you will do far better and earn more. Many people fail and become discouraged but the one thing that jumps out if you study those who successfully freelance online is that these people do not treat this like a hobby. They are determined to make either a couple of extra hundred dollars per month or they are working towards working at home freelancing full time. To do this, they are willing to treat this as they would any other job, putting in the hours to earn the pay.
My suggestions: I've been earning money online for quite some time so will offer the following suggestions:
- Try to secure freelance work that by dent of its nature, i.e. revenue sharing, will net you monthly income.
- Take on-spec freelance work so that you supplement your monthly amount.
- Try to increase the list of sites that you work for and keep these in a file so that you do not forget to check in for work. At some sites, you have to log-in and check to see if work is available.
- Try to spend time each day promoting your online content so that you earn more from it. This does not have to be labor-intensive. Simply spend 5-10 minutes while having a cup of coffee. This only applies to content that earns residuals for you.
Fast Fingers--Free Tool to Check Typing Speed
Fast Fingers is a neat little tool that allows you to take a typing speed test to see how your typing stacks up. You can take the test as often as you like and check your progress. You may be surprised at just how many words-per-minute you actually are able to type.
A Word of Advice
One of the best things you can do to help yourself, if you want to work from home and freelance online is to increase your typing speed. I can't stress this enough. All of these jobs require keying in letters, no matter whether you answer questions, enter in data, transcribe, create posts for blog sites or write articles.
If you are serious about earning real income from home, the quickest route to make real money from freelancing is to bump up your typing speed. Why muddle along and spend four times as long to complete any task? You are slowed down significantly if you have to watch your fingers as you type. This can seem daunting and is discouraging; whereas, if you can crank out 50-60 words per minute, only looking at your computer screen, your workload will be vastly reduced and the whole process will become that much easier.
Doing daily typing exercises, 5-10 minutes each day will see you touch typing in weeks. It is well worth the effort to spend a few minutes each day to improve your typing speed. Once your fingers "recognize" the letters, typing becomes easy. As you improve, you don't even have to think about what your fingers are doing and can complete your tasks so much quicker. While you can find typing tests online, these are not as comprehensive as the exercises you will find in a typing book. Typing exercises are geared to teach your fingers to find letters, starting with easy words and progressing to letters that are slightly more challenging to master. By having a book on hand, you can practice in painless sessions each day and work your way around the keyboard.
If you want to work at home, one of the very best and critical skills is to be able to type without looking. Once you transition to doing this, you'll wish you had done this earlier.
Make Money Freelancing Tips ... A Word About Time-Wasters
Stay away from time-wasters. While so many so-called opportunities promise future earnings, stick with legitimate methods to earn income from home and forgo the wild goose chases. This includes sites that offer you mere pennies for your time.
If you know how to go about it, you can earn money without having to usually pay an up-front fee to get started. Usually legitimate companies hiring you, do not require you to pay them, to get started. I'm always suspicious when I see "one-time processing fee" or "you are paying for a list of companies." Hmm ...
There are exceptions to this but it is important to know when to invest, so as to further your earnings potential, and when to use caution.
What Do you Do to Earn Money Each Month Working From Your Home?See results without voting
More by this Author
After his first trip to the Heights and an attack by Heathcliff's dogs, Lockwood bravely decides on another visit. Surely this second attempt will prove a better experience... or will it?
How to write seo articles that earn more for you. Content-rich + SEO can make the difference for online articles.
Paranormal investigators witnessed chilling events in the house at Braddock Drive, making this one of the most famous cases of psychic assault.