How to Earn Money Writing Online
Ways to Make Money Writing Online
If you can write unique content then writing for money online won't be hard for you. It won't work to just research a few online articles and then rewriting it in your own words. You need to be able to add your own personal touch and some advice from your own personal experience.
Experiment and see which sites are right for you. Everyone has different interests and one writing site can be different from another. My best income has been earned at Hubpages, but I've also written more articles there than anywhere else. There are several Hubpage writers that make $1000 per month and more. My second money earner is from my own websites.
Quality Content is a Must
The quality of your content and writing is important. Don't write a few paragraphs and expect it to do well. You need to cover your topic completely and offer advice that your reader can use. Many writers say that the article should have at least 500 words. Others even say you need to write a least 1000 words. Search engines like lots of content. Many of my pages are now 1500 words or more.
Use correct grammar and punctuation and try to make the article as interesting as you can for your reader. Run the work through and spell check and then edit, edit, and then edit it again. Reading the work aloud will help you rewrite areas that don't flow right. You'll be surprised by the mistakes you can find. Don't overdo keywords and don't use bold type for the entire page.
You Won't Get Rich Quick
If you ask which one virtue it takes to be an online writer, I would say that it is patience. You won't make a lot of money overnight. If you don't stick to it, it just isn't going to work. You may only earn pennies at the beginning. If any one promises you that you'll make thousands the first month, beware. They are trying to rip you off. The more articles you publish, the greater your income will grow.
The most important thing to remember when writing for the internet is that it is not a get rich quick scheme. Just like everything else it takes hard work and persistence. Try to write something everyday and as time goes by your earnings will build. If you stick to this plan, after 3 years, you may be able to quit your day job. If you write 3 articles a day, you'll be able to do that even quicker.don't rush your work though. Be sure it is of high quality.
Get involved on Hubpages or what ever site you are writing on and post comments on the articles of others. They may reciprocate.
Share your work on social media, but don't overdo it. Your readers can get tired of you. Be sure to post your new site on Pinterest. I get a lot of traffic from that site. Don't forget places like Facebook, Twitter and Stumbleupon either.
Try writing for different sites. Do as much research as you can and see which ones work best for you. Most importantly keep at it.
Find a Niche if Possible
It is also helpful to find a niche and link the articles you write together. A niche is just a topic of interest. This is much like creating a website and will help your readers to find your other pages. Don't be afraid to link to the competition's articles. This will only help your readers and help you rate better in the search engines.
You will need to learn SEO (search engine optimization) techniques. Use the Google Keyword Tool when choosing keywords for your topic. Keywords are just the words you want the search engines to use to find your article. Use them in your title and in your article without making it sound unnatural. Overdoing keywords can hurt you just as much as not using them.
I've found narrowing down your subject content helps. For instance, I have a website with free crochet patterns. No matter how hard I try, getting on the first page of Google with the term "free crochet patterns," is almost impossible. I've accomplished this a few times, but have to work at this all of the time. If I look for other terms, such as "free pineapple doily pattern" or "free vintage crochet patterns" I do much better.
Using the Google tool, look at how many people search for the topic you are writing about. Does anyone actually search for your chosen keywords? I have tried keywords that no one was searching. I didn't write about that topic, but sometimes you will find some better keywords to use. Keywords aren't words at all, but phrases of several words.
Now after you've found what you think is a good keyword phrase, use Google Search. How much competition is there for the phrase. On the left top of the page, it will tell you how many topics have been written using the phrase. If the number is in the millions, you may want to go back and choose a different keyword phrase with less competition.
Do your research about SEO. You'll find many pages right here on Hubpages that you will help you.
Where Should You Write?
Websites and Blogs
A good way to make money writing is to have your own website or blog. If you want to succeed you should write about what you love. Your enthusiasm will shine through and will be contagious. You may then add affiliate links and that is where your money will be earned. Maybe you'd rather sell your own product and that is fine too.
If you want to write about a wide range of topics, it would be better to put those on or another writing site, because It is difficult to get placed well in the search engines with too many subjects. You'll find a list of sites that accept content below.
I've found that writing for the big sites like Hubpages help you rank better in the search engines. You'll share some of the earnings, but it can be worth it. Getting links to your own sites can be hard work and you won't need to do as much of that, since you'll rank better. Once you've completed a website, it can be well worthwhile though, because you'll get 100% of the earnings. Google has been frowning on content sites and you can't do as well on them as you once could and you need to keep that in mind also.
At a blog, it is good to add more content on a weekly basis. This will keep your visitors coming back. A website must be kept updated to keep its rank on Google and keep your visitors returning. Most of your traffic from search engines will come from Google, so it is important to keep them happy.
If you start your own website or blog, you may want to have a weekly newsletter. Sites that offer this service do charge a monthly fee. At first, it might be wise just to start a Yahoo group for your niche. You can announce all new additions that way and pay nothing.
You'll need to add affiliate advertisers on your site or blog. Listed below are a few to try. By far Google Adsense is the the most popular. Each individual site and blog is different though. You may find another affiliate that is more profitable for you. Don't be afraid to have more than one affiliate. Just don't clog your pages with too many ads. The search engines frown on this.
1. Google Adsense - For some, this is by far the most profitable way to make money from a site. You get paid for every click that is made on an ad. :You must have $100 in income before you receive a check from Google. After that each time you get a total of $100 you'll receive a payment in your bank account at the end of the next month.If your site doesn't get much traffic, this may take awhile. Be patient and keep working at getting your site to show up well in the search engines, especially Google and your income will grow until you get a payment every month.
There are people with high traffic sites earning their entire incomes from Google, but don't expect it and don't fall for some of the scams telling you they'll show you how to make thousands a week. You can signup for Adsense yourself and it isn't too hard to use, but a very tiny percentage of people will be able to make thousands.
Before applying for Google Adsense, you should have a complete site. At one time, it wasn't hard to get approved by Google. At Hubpages, it was always recommended to have 10 complete hubs. Now writers aren't getting approved until they have 25 pages. If you don't get approved the first time, try again. In some countries, you'll need to wait 6 months.
2. Amazon Affiliate Program - This is a very popular program. You have a choice of receiving a gift certificate once you earn $10.00 or wait until you earn $100.00 so you can get cash. I haven't done as well with this site as Google Adsense, but there are people that do. Entire sites have been built offering their products.This affiliate works best for those promoting products or writing product reviews.
3. Commission Junction - You get to choose which companies place ads on your site. You are paid a commission on every sale that is made.
Write for a Commission on Ads or Number of Page Views
At one time, I had a long list of these companies. Since that time many have gone out of business.
1. Hubpages - Hubpages pays you a percentage made from Ebay, and Google Adsense. They now have their own ad program that pays according to how much traffic you get. I've been doing well with this.
You'll need to have an Adsense account. Before applying for one, you'll need to write several articles before Google will approve you. Many aren't get approved for Adsense unit they have 25 written.
You can also add your own Amazon links. Patience is needed, so if you're a newbie don't give up. It takes writing a lot of hubs and a few months, to start seeing a profit, but once you do, you'll be well satisfied with them. I have been successful here.
2. eHow - To post articles as of April 2010, you must now be accepted by Demand Studios. They expect you to be an expert in the field you write about, a professional writer, or have a degree in a field related to writing. There you write how to articles step-by-step and get paid a percentage of the ad revenue. You're payment will be sent to your Paypal account.
3. Bukisa - One of my friend's has tried this site and has prospered there. Bukisa pays $4.00 (as of this writing) for every 1000 page views and also pays a percentage for other writers that you refer, plus pays a percentage for the people that they refer creating a pyramid type program. This could add up to good money if you have plenty of friends to refer. Be sure to check their present terms. Some of these sites are changing them all the time.
4. Infobarrel - I have a few articles written at Infobarrel. This is a good site that eventually I'll write more for them, but I have to do a lot more work trying to get my articles ranked well at Google. Infobarrel has a lot of fans and it is a growing site and some day may be the place to write.
The best part about Infobarrel is their forum. Writers have no problem sharing their tips.
Sell Your Writing to Others
This is the fastest way to make money from your writing, but once you sell your articles you lose all rights to your work. I haven't tried this myself, but it is well worth looking into.
1. Constant Content - You set the rate that you want for your article and you are able to retain rights to your work.
2. Elance - You bid on content to write for other websites, so you set the rate yourself.
3. Rentacoder - This site is much the same as Elance.
4. About.com - About pays their writers and pays them well, but this isn't a site for beginners. First you need to apply by choosing a topic you'd like to write about. You then need to send them the article and get approved. After that, you go through a training period of one month. After being accepted you will need to continue writing for them and will be paid a check.
Now you need to get busy and write. You can't earn any money writing without some hard work.
Are You Ready to Write Online?See results without voting
More Info about Making Money on the Web
- Can You Earn a Living Writing Online?
You'll need to consider a lot of different things, before making the big plunge. Do you know how much to charge a client? Read on about expenses you may not have considered.
- Unusual Ways to Get Free Traffic
If you'd like to get more traffic to your web pages, here are some ideas that you may not have thought about.
- How To Make More Money Writing for Hubpages
Whether you are writing for money or writing because your enjoy it, everyone's big question is, how do I get more people to read my article. This is the only way to make more money with affiliates. The more...
More by this Author
If you are having problems with your laminated floors being streaky, here you'll find a solution to clean the laminate floors that really works.Just use products you already have in the house.
Learn how to identify ringworm and find some natural ways to get rid of it. You'll also find how to keep the fungus from spreading.
Many of our perennial flowers and shrubs are poisonous to dogs. Because these plants are toxic, we need to remove some from areas where the dogs play. View a list of plants that are toxic to dogs.