How to Write an Excellent Professional Fiction Story?
Write Brave and Free
To write an excellent fiction story, you must first have an idea you would like to build on. Ideas can come to you either from a dream, a picture, and an agenda or from a personal experience, you desire to share.
Build your story as you put the pieces in your mind together. Write an outline with the main points. Make sure you feel comfortable writing about your subject and not self-conscious.
Get to know your main character and the audience for whom you are writing.
In children's fiction, the age of the principal character usually determines who the readers are. A four-year-old chief character would not hold the interest of readers in the eight to twelve age group, and neither would the eyes of an eleven year old protagonist hold the interest of teenage readers.
Make Trouble for Your Main Character
Write an introduction in your first paragraph and make trouble for your main character soon afterwards. Every good story is normally built upon a problem or a moral dilemma, which your chief character somehow solves.
Put your ideas into words and allow your ideas to flow. Fill in the details with dialogue.
Every excellent story has three parts, a beginning, middle and ending.
- The beginning sets up the story in the first two paragraphs. It introduces your chief character and sets up a story problem that your character will boldly solve.
- The middle or body of your story shows your leading character tackling the problem.
- And the ending resolves the problem of your foremost character.
To keep your audience hooked, fill in the details with dialogue and add secondary details by including a few descriptive words throughout your story. When writing dialogue for children and adults a good rule of thumb is to relax by allowing your discourses to flow naturally. If you are nervous as you write or type your writing will not turn out right.
Remember, even the most educated people worry about spitting infinitives or ending a thought with a preposition. Nor so they always speak in grammatically correct sentences, for instance.
Paint a Picture in Your Reader's Mind
It's best to craft a story that creates a picture in your reader's mind. It should be imaginable. It's also better to tell your story from your main character's point of view, so your reader can identify with your character and feel like the events are happening to him. This will make your story more exciting and interesting.
Of course, the additional characters of your story will have their own emotions, thoughts and feelings; however, you don’t want to give all these details to your reader directly. Allow your reader to deduce these items from what your main character observes or surmises.
- Remember to read your story out loud and give your story a title either in the very beginning or at the end.
- Don't forget you must stick to a word count when writing professional fiction stories for children.
- A word count does not hold true for adult fiction stories.
Your Children's Story Must Also Contain 3 Parts
- A story beginning places your main character in action and introduces a problem, he or she must solve.
- In the middle of your story develop the problem of your main character or difficulty and build a climax, which is then eloquently resolved.
- Conclude the end of your story's events at the end by tying everything together.
You may apply this structure to a children's story for children of all ages and also to a 350 page adult novel.
It's easier to write the beginning and the end of the story then the rest.
© 2012 Sheila Craan
More by this Author
Diminishing negative thinking is a lifelong process! You must spice your everyday life and reduce tension. Discover a beautiful stress-free way here!
Become a published children's author in5easy steps. I'll show you how I accomplished this marvelous feat, so you can too!
- 11How to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus? What Raw Foods to Eat for Toenail Health? Can Diet and Polish Kill It Naturally?
Toe nail fungus is extremely difficult to cure, and nail medications never work! The utmost remedy is to cure your nail fungus with food-grade products, and in diet avoid sugar. This combination works like a charm!
No comments yet.