Illustration Essay Topic Ideas
Illustration essays explain something and provide concrete, interesting examples and descriptions so that the reader understands that subject better
Nutrition and Sports
Illustrative Essay Topics about Sports
- Illustrate how a football coach can turn a program around.
- Show how to do a baton hand off in a track race.
- Illustrate how to correctly throw a curve ball.
- Explain how to swim a particular stroke in competitive swimming, or how to dive or turn.
- Explain how Competitive Cheerleading and Tumbling is different from cheer.
- Describe how Equestrian competitions work.
- What are football practices like? Explain what it takes for players to get ready for a game. You could do this for any competitive sport.
- Illustrate how sports are important for a college? for a college town's economy?
- Illustrate teamwork on a sports team.
- How to play Ultimate Frisbee.
- Illustrate how to play disc golf.
- Illustrate how inter-mural sports work and why they are beneficial to college students.
- Explain how Rugby is played and how it is different from other sports.
- Describe what is involved in getting ready to play an ice Hockey game.
- Describe the competition within a sports team for being a starter.
- Explain how athletic coaches decide whether a player needs to be taken out of a game because of injury.
- Illustrate the way Lacrosse teams work to practice and play.
- Illustrate why a sports team (your choice of team) is underrated.
- Describe a college club sports team and compare it to inter-murals or college athletics.
- Illustrate what it takes to successfully combine college athletics and schoolwork.
Step by Step Illustration Essay
Illustration Essay Topics about College
- Why a school mascot is important to students.
- How can college students develop good study habits.
- Illustrate how a college band prepares for a half-time show?
- Explain the duties of a Resident Assistant in a dorm.
- Explain how to get out of the “Friendship Zone” with a member of the opposite sex.
- Illustrate the steps of choosing a college to attend.
- Illustrate the best or worst ways to ask someone out on a date.
- Illustrate the ways to pay for college.
- How to develop a good resume for college applications.
- Explain a prank which happened in the past at your school and the results.
- Illustrate what your college does to help retain freshman students?
- Explain the traditions your college has at football games.
- Illustrate how to keep a budget as a college student.
- How to develop and keep a good music practice schedule.
- Explain the characteristics, advantages and disadvantages of dorm life.
- Describe life in a particular dorm on campus.
- Illustrate ho to use the printers on campus.
- Explain the importance and achievements of a particular college president.
- Interview a professor and describe their academic, research and personal life.
- Explain a campus Christian organization like Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Campus Crusade, Navigators, or church group.
- Explain the recent controversy at some Universities in America that are requiring religious groups to accept leaders who do not follow their beliefs.
- Illustrate the rituals of Homecoming at your campus.
- Illustrate the significance of your campus motto, emblem or song.
- Explain the history and significance of statues on campus.
- Tell the history of and older building on campus and explain its name.
- Describe an after-school tutoring program for children that involves college students.
- Interview an international student and explain their challenges in attending college outside of their home country.
- How to clean up your room and keep it that way.
- How to motivate your roommate to organize their stuff.
- Explain the eating choices of a student on your campus.
- Explain the uniqueness of a particular Sorority or Fraternity.
- How to get enough exercise at college
- How to get along with your room mate
- How to deal with annoying people in your dorm
- How to help a friend who is making bad choices in college
- How to get ready for class in 15 minutes
- How to become a Texan? or Californian? or a New Yorker? (for out of state or International students)
- Illustrate the history of your football or basketball stadium.
- Describe how your college has changed over the course of its history.
- Illustrate the history and background of one of the statues, street pole markers or other outside landmark on your college campus.
- Illustrate the importance of finding a place you can study on your campus.
- Illustrate the importance of not procrastinating on your studying.
- Illustrate how to keep up a good communication with your family while in college.
- Explain a particular major or honors program at your school which most students don’t know much about.
- Illustrate the difference between good studying techniques and poor ones.
College Illustration Essay
Illustration Paper Topics about FamilyClick thumbnail to view full-size
Illustration Topics about Careers
- Observe and vividly describe a coffeehouse or other gathering place for students.
- Describe the work of a barista at Starbucks.
- Explain the phrase, “The Customer is Always Right.”
- Illustrate the benefits of being a part of 4-H in high school to prepare you for a career.
- Illustrate how ROTC or Air Force ROTC works to prepare you for college and careers.
- Explain the steps of how to become a dentist, orthodontist, physical therapist, speech therapist or doctor.
- Explain a typical day in the life of an EMT, a nurse in the ER, a surgeon, an ultrasound technician, or another medical specialist.
- Explain how a fashion designer creates a line of clothing.
- Explain the job of a buyer for a large department store.
- Illustrate the steps to becoming a pilot or working in the airline industry.
- Explain what a fashion designer or interior decorator does.
- Shadow or interview a research scientist. Illustrate what they do in research.
- Illustrate what a teacher does to prepare for teaching every day.
- Illustrate the research and preparation work done by a lawyer or judge.
- Explain what an accountant does, or illustrate the life of a tax accountant during "tax season."
- Explain how a funeral home works.
- Illustrate what it is like to work at a fast food restaurant.
- Explain how a grocery store works on a daily cycle to stock, store and sell products.
- Illustrate the background situation of a restaurant from a waiter or waitresses point of view.
- Illustrate the work of a non-profit organization.
- Illustrate a day in the life of a construction worker, plumber, electrician or maid.
- Illustrate the difficulties of dealing with difficult fellow employees.
- Illustrate the problems of having a bad boss.
- Explain how to sell a product to a customer.
- Illustrate the best techniques for getting people to give money or time to a cause.
Illustrative Essay Video
More Illustration Topics
- Explain a religious ceremony or practice for people who are not familiar with it.
- Interview a homeless person or someone who works with the homeless and explain what life is like for them every day.
- Illustrate the history and significance of an important building in your hometown.
- Why do people smoke? Illustrate the life of a smoker.
- Illustrate how show an animal (pick which kind) in a 4-H competition.
- Illustrate how friendships are important.
- Illustrate how a woman can use self-defense to protect herself.
- Explain the characteristics of a particular form of music, such as Rap, Indie, Punk, Blue Grass, or Electronica.
- Natural disasters change the course of towns and cities affected by them. Describe how a town was changed by an earthquake, tornado, flood, hurricane or other natural disaster.
- Explain the revitalization efforts of a downtown area near you.
- Explain a landmark or historical place in your home town or near your college. Tell the history and why this is important for people to know and remember.
- Visit a museum in person or online and illustrate the experience in detail.
- Pick a famous news story from the past and explain what happened and why. Examples to consider: the Fort Hood Shooting, the O.J. Simpson case, the Columbine School Shooting, the Twin Peaks Shooting.
How Get Examples for an Illustration Essay
How can you get examples to use for your Illustration Essay? Here are four ways:
Personal Observation: To do an Illustration Essay, you will want to go and observe places which involve your topic. Take notes about what you see, hear, smell, touch and taste. Make your description vivid.
Interviews: You can also interview people about your topic to get examples and stories to use. It helps if you prepare questions beforehand and either take notes or record the interview to help you remember.
Recall Personal Experiences: Don't forget that your own experiences and memories can be a source of ideas too. To jog your memory, look for pictures of that event and spend some time thinking about the experience. Write down everything you remember, including sensory expressions. Try to use vivid adjectives and adverbs as you write your experiences down.
More by this Author
Clear instructions with outlines and sample essay forms for writing summary, analysis, and response papers.
Want to write a great argument paper, fast? Try one of these easy topics. You'll also find links to research ideas, writing tips, and sample essays.
How to write better sentences? Easy tips to improve sentences just by changing the first word with a list of alternative first words included, plus ideas for faster and easier writing.