Important Punctuation Marks
Keep these things in Mind while Writing
Punctuation is one of the most important aspects of correct expression in a language. It is marked with certain signs.
There are some important punctuation marks that always confuse us. We forget or don’t know where to use them, where is their correct place in a sentence?
Semicolon (;)- A semicolon is midway between a full stop and a comma. It is used-
- - To separate two related clauses:
Eg. Sometimes she smiles; sometimes she cries.
- - To separate a clause and a related phrase.
Ex. To err is human; to forgive divine.
- - To separate items in a list, when these are either clauses or extended phrases.
Ex. Most of students lack devotion to studies; they read only to get through; they do not cherish the value of education.
Colon (:)- the colon is used-
- -To introduce a list
Ex.- You are required to bring these things: a bed sheet, two sets of uniform and a set of furniture.
- - To introduce an explanation
Ex. My problem is: I can’t work hard in given situation.
- -To separate two contracts,
Ex. We make plans: the insincere students mar them.
Hyphen (-)- The hyphen is used
- -To join the parts of a compound word.
- - In some cases to join a word and a prefix.
Ex. Post-dated, co-opt.
Inverted Commas or Quotation Marks- Inverted commas are of two types-
- - Single Inverted Commas (‘ …..‘)
- - Double Inverted Commas (“ ……..”)
They are used –
- -To enclose all words said in direct speech.
Ex. He said, “I want to go home.”
- -To enclose titles of different genres of literature.
Ex. ‘Of Studies’ , ‘The Love Song of j. Alfred Prufrock?’
- - To emphasize a word or phrase that the writer believes is false or humorous.
Ex. Making the brain of a child the storehouse of information is called ‘education’ by some.
Brackets- Brackets are used to enclose a remark r to give a more comprehensive information.
Ex. Our university (University of Allahabad) is known as Oxford University of India.
More by this Author
T. S. Eliot and W. B. Yeats are two of the tallest and most towering and influential figures in the sphere of the twentieth century literature in Great Britain. Both of them were desirous of making the theater once more...
Poetic drama is the most famous genre of Drama. From Elizabethan age till now, many dramatists wrote in this style. here you can get sufficient information about it.
Cry, the Peacock is the first published novel of Anita Desai. It reveals the story of a married woman named Maya. The novel picturises the neurotic condition of Maya.