Inspirational Poetry, Art and Quotes for the New Year
The New Year: A Chance for New Beginnings
Another New Year is upon us and with it the chance for new beginnings. Most of us start the New Year filled with excitement and resolve to change our lives for the better and most of us end the year having kept few of those ambitious New Year Resolutions . Much as we may fail to keep our New Year resolutions we still start each New Year with a set of new goals (or old ones carried over from previous years). For me the start of the year is always filled with hope and promise and I carry it through for at least the better part of January. Then as the year rolls along I fall back into my old routine. Last year in keeping with one of my previous resolutions I created an inspirational poetry and art calendar to inspire myself and others throughout the year. This hub contains inspirational poetry and art as well as inspirational quotes for each month drawn from that calendar. I hope it inspires you throughout the New Year.
January: Hope and Dreams
The theme for January is New Beginnings and Dreams. January is the start of the year and as such is the moment in which I set out my goals and dreams for the rest of the year. It is also the month of Hope for me. Here are five inspirational hope quotes and meditations for the month of January:
1. As the sun sets on the horizon, I watch it go down, Tomorrow my new life will start, In the gentle glow of dawn. - (Injete Chesoni)
2. Some one once said to me, 'Reverend Schuller, I hope you live to see all your dreams fulfilled.' I replied, I hope not, because if I live and all my dreams are fulfilled, I'm dead.' It's unfulfilled dreams that keep you alive. - (Robert Schuller)
3. 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, That perches in the soul, And sings the tune without words, And never stops - at all. - (Emily Dickinson)
4. It is characteristic of genius to be hopeful and aspiring. - (Harriet Martineau)
5. We should not let our fears hold us back from pursuing our hopes. - (John F. Kennedy)
Inspirational Hope Quotes from: http://www.famousquotesandauthors.com/topics/hope_quotes.html
February: Love's Interruption
February is the month of love and in keeping with the Valentine Day spirit I have chosen inspirational love quotes for the month of February.
1. When love interrupts the pattern of your life, It creates a chaotic yet beautiful new design. - (Injete Chesoni)
2. "To be your friend was all I ever wanted; to be your lover was all I ever dreamed." - (Unknown)
3. "True love begins when nothing is looked for in return." - (Antoine De Saint-Exupery)
4. "The life and love we create is the life and love we live." - (Leo Buscaglia)
5. "For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it. For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it." - (Ivan Panin)
Inspirational Love Quotes from: http://www.1-love-quotes.com/love_quotes_top_100.htm
Peace much like happiness is one of those states that we spend our lives trying to achieve. In these modern times filled with stress we should take a moment to find peace in our lives. I have chosen March as the month of peace and here are some peace quotes and affirmations to meditate on.
1. I am peace personified, I move in waves of tranquility across the sea of life. - (Injete Chesoni)
2. Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice. - (Baruch Spinoza)
3. I do not want the peace that passeth understanding. I want the understanding which bringeth peace. - (Helen Keller)
4. You can't shake hands with a clenched fist. - (Indira Gandhi)
5. Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one. - (John Lennon)
Peace Quotes at: http://thinkexist.com/quotations/peace/
April: Spring the Renewal of Life
I associate April with Spring the season of re-birth. Spring is the season when flowers bloom and when the warmth pierces through after the winter chill. For Christians Easter often falls in April, and is the hoilday during which Christians celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Thus I have chosen April as the month of re-birth and I have included quotes on Spring for this month.
1. After the cold comes the warmth, After the rain comes the sun, Nothing stays constant in this world of ours, Old lives must die and new ones be born. - (Injete Chesoni)
2. No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow. - (Proverb)
3. If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. - (Anne Bradstreet)
4. No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn. - (Hal Borland)
5. Where man sees but withered leaves, God sees sweet flowers growing. - (Albert Laighton)
May the Month of Mothers
May is the month when we celebrate Mother's Day. Thus in keeping with this tradition I have included mother quotes for the month of May.
1. Beautiful and delicate givers of life, Mothers are transformed, With the birth of their child. - (Injete Chesoni)
2. A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them. - (Victor Hugo)
3. All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother. - (Abraham Lincoln)
4. God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. - (Jewish Proverb)
5. The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. - (Rajneesh)
Mother Quotes from: http://www.great-inspirational-quotes.com/mother-quotes.html
June: Stop to Rest and Re-consider
June marks the middle of the year. It is also my birth month, I am born on June 30th smack in the middle of the year thus for me it is always a month for reflection. The middle of the year is a good time to look at where you have come from and where you would like to go. Even in sports there is half-time a moment to pause, rest and strategize. So halfway through the year we should take a moment to pause and consider where we are going. Here are some quotes about resting for the month of June.
1. STOP! For just one moment and consider, Save a moment of life just to ponder, The middle is always a good place to linger, When you have thoughts to re-consider. - (Injete Chesoni)
2. On the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day. - (The Bible)
3. “Rest when you're weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work.” - (Ralph Marston)
4. “The best of all medicines is resting and fasting” - (Benjamin Franklin)
5. “Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.” - (Ovid)
Rest Quotes from: http://thinkexist.com/quotations/rest/2.html
July: Freedom, Dancing Through Life
Dancing means so many things to me but perhaps most of all I associate dancing with freedom. Freedom of expression, freedom of movement and freedom from caring what anyone else thinks. Thus my choice of Dancing as the theme for July is not so much about dancing the art form but more about dancing as a metaphor for freedom. I have chosen dance quotes and freedom quotes for the month of July.
1. Dancing across the stage of life, Three sisters together dancing through time, Forming colorful, moving designs, That flow and change with the patterns of their lives. - (Injete Chesoni)
2. When I think of freedom, I think of flight, I think of change,I think of children, I think of a spirit that defies chains of any kind, I think of a wind that just keeps blowing with no direction in particular, Unconfined by time and space, My mind drifts to a place where it is truly free. - (Injete Chesoni)
3. Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery; None but ourselves can free our minds. - (Bob Marley, Redemption Song).
4. Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves. - (Abraham Lincoln)
5. "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." - Mark Twain
Freedom Quotes from: http://www.quotegarden.com/freedom.html
August: Individualism, Playing My Own Tune
The theme for the month of August is a follow-up to that of July. I chose August as the month for following the beat of your own drum and expressing your individualism instead of following the crowd and dancing to someone else is tune. Here are some quotes on individualism for the month of August.
1. As I grow older and time passes me by, I begin to realize that this life is mine, To create and destroy and do as I please, And with this realization I am filled with ease. - (Injete Chesoni)
2.Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. - (Robert Frost)
3. I pattern my actions and life after what I want. No two people are alike. You might admire attributes in others, but use these only as a guide in improving yourself in your own unique way. I don't go for carbon copies. Individualism is sacred! - (Richard Chamberlain)
4. Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known. - (Oscar Wilde)
5. If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. - (Henry David Thoreau)
Individualism and Individual Quotes from: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/individualism.html
September: Shedding My Leaves (Letting Go)
September marks the start of Fall the season when trees shed their leaves. As part of the natural process trees must shed their leaves so that new ones can grow. Part of the growth process involves shedding the old to make way for the new. As part of our own growth we must learn to shed any baggage from our past that is holding us back from finding love, success and happiness. I have selected September as the month for letting go and shedding baggage. Here are some quotes about letting go.
1. As the leaves change color and begin to fall, I release the weight I am carrying and shed it all, No need for baggage that weighs me down, I am traveling light from this day on. - (Injete Chesoni)
2. Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward. - (Author Unknown)
3. Let go. Why do you cling to pain? There is nothing you can do about the wrongs of yesterday. It is not yours to judge. Why hold on to the very thing which keeps you from hope and love? - (Leo Buscaglia)
4. People have a hard time letting go of their suffering. Out of a fear of the unknown, they prefer suffering that is familiar. - (Thich Nhat Hanh)
5. Letting go doesn’t mean giving up, but rather accepting that there are things that cannot be.
Letting Go Quotes from: http://www.great-inspirational-quotes.com/letting-go-quotes.html
October: Life and Time Management
Time is one of those things that man is constantly trying to control. There is even a term for it time management. But if you are anything like me then no matter how hard you try you can never control time. What I have learnt to do is prioritize and focus on quality versus quantity time. I have chosen October as the month to focus on how you spend your time. Remember to set aside time for those who matter most in your life.
1. Time will pass whether I move fast or slow, Therefore it matters not at which pace I go, What matters more is how, I spend each and every hour. - (Injete Chesoni)
2. If I had known, that one day you would be gone, I would have savored every moment I had with you. - (Injete Chesoni)
3. Who forces time is pushed back by time; who yields to time finds time on his side. - (The Talmud)
4. Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent. Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you. - (Carl Sandburg)
5. Why won't they let a year die without bringing in a new one on the instant, can't they use birth control on time? I want an interregnum. The stupid years patter on with unrelenting feet, never stopping - rising to little monotonous peaks in our imaginations at festivals like New Year's and Easter and Christmas - But, goodness, why need they do it? - (John Dos Passos, 1917)
It is important that we cultivate a spirit of gratitude for the many blessings in our lives. Focusing on the good in our lives distracts us from the bad. Americans celebrate Thanksgiving in the month of November, so I thought this would be a good month to focus on gratitude. Here are thanksgiving and gratitude quotes for the month of November.
1. My pot runneth over with tears of gratitude, For the love in my life and the plenitude. - (Injete Chesoni)
2. Gratefulness is the key to a happy life that we hold in our hands, because if we are not grateful, then no matter how much we have we will not be happy -- because we will always want to have something else or something more. - (David Steindl-Rast)
3. As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. - (John F. Kennedy)
4. Thanksgiving Day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude. - (E.P. Powell)
5. Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity.... It turns problems into gifts, failures into success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow. - (Melodie Beattie)
Thanksgiving and Gratitude Quotes from: http://www.quotegarden.com/thanksgiving.html
December: A Time to Celebrate
I have chosen December as the month for celebration and spending time with family and friends. As the last month of the year it is fitting that we should choose December to look back and celebrate our gains. However, our joys in life are not only drawn from our successes but from those who we share them with. Success is hollow when one has nobody to celebrate it with. Thus, I have also chosen December as the month for celebrating the dearest people in our lives, our family and friends.
1. We gather at the table to celebrate the close of the year, With family and friends from far and near, What is a celebration without those we hold dear. - (Injete Chesoni)
2. Celebrate the little things in life, appreciate tomorrow, love your neighbor or don’t, but never condemn yourself to a life without cause to celebrate and be thankful for what you have. Never forget the people you love and love them when you have an occasion to do so. Celebrate their life and celebrate yours. - (Anonymous)
3. Celebrate the happiness that friends are always giving, make every day a holiday and celebrate just living. - (Amanda Bradley)
4. Celebrate what you want to see more of. - (Thomas J. Peters)
5. The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate. - (Oprah Winfrey)
Celebration, Family and Friend Quotes from: http://www.favorite-famous-quotes.com/celebration-quotes.html
Inspirational Quotes Calendars 2010
My Favorite Inspirational Books
More by this Author
Seductive love poems and art.
Most poets assume that they cannot make money from writing poetry. Thus, they toil away expecting no monetary return for their labor. However with a little entrepreneurship and creativity you can make money from your...
This is a compilation of African quotes on a variety of topics including wisdom quotes, leadership quotes, friendship quotes, family quotes, spiritual quotes, peace quotes and love quotes. African mask pictures...