Lady Detectives and Books Written by and About Lady Detectives
Mystery Novels by Women Authors
I love to read mystery novels. I wanted to be a homicide detective. I didn't go that route, but I still love to read about women in the murder justice league. These three authors were picked because of the leading characters and the locales. The setting of a good mystery read tends to kind of make the book to me.
Two of these authors have a series of mystery novels written with Hawaii as the main locations. I love Hawaii and lived there for a time. I just couldn't resist reading about what may be going on behind the scenes.
Book One in a Series of Six so far..
Even ‘death do us part’ couldn’t halt her march down the aisle…
Cash-strapped Maui wedding planner Pali Moon can’t believe her luck when a prospective bride flashing a five-carat dazzler pops into her shop, “Let’s Get Maui’d,” to request a glitzy beachside wedding. But then Pali learns the lavish wedding must take place on Valentine’s Day—only nine days away. Oh, and one other little hitch—the groom’s been missing at sea for more than a week. But no worries, the bride assures Pali, with or without the groom the wedding will take place. She’s struck a deal with the groom’s best friend to be the proxy groom, if necessary. Two days before the nuptials, a male corpse floats ashore on a South Maui beach. Looks like the groom’s finally shown up. So now what’s it gonna be—a wedding…or a funeral?
- Maui Widow Waltz by JoAnn Bassett - The first book I read in the wedding planner detective series about Pali Moon got me hooked in a big way. The dialogue is fresh and exiting and Pali always explains what the 'Pidgeon' English means to those who have never been exposed to the shorthand dialect of the 50th state of the union. JoAnn Bassett has lived in Seattle, Maui and now Arizona. She captures the flavor of the local scene so completely, it's like you are there!
- Livin' Lahaina Loca - The second of Bassett's brilliant detective series. She really gets involved with her clients and when a bride's maid goes missing, well, the chase is on! The chase gets personal for Pali and it's Halloween in Lahaina, so what else can go wrong?
- Lana'i of the Tiger - Book three of the continuing saga of just how much fun it is to be a wedding planner in Hawaii. This time, Pali Moon, is on the island of Lanai. It's an island so small that one would think it's incredibly boring. But life is never boring for Pali and friends.
- Kaua'i Me A River - Book four gets into Pali's personal life which is a big mystery in itself. She was born at a hippie commune on the island of Kauai and now a lawyer is trying to contact her about her 'family'. Pali only knows about the one brother that she grew up with. Who are all these people and why are they trying to kill her?
- O'ahu Lonesome Tonight - Book five. Pali decides to take some time off and get to know her new family. They mostly live on the island of Oahu. And of course, Pali and Jeff can't just have a normal family reunion. In this novel, the Hawaiian poop literally hits the fan!
- I'm Kona Love You Forever - Book six, and I certainly hope it isn't the last one! These books are great reads, good mysteries and a paid vacation to Hawaii if you are one of those people that get carried away while reading a fascinating book! In this book, can you imagine trying to book a wedding and then finding out your birth certificate isn't real! Pali has to solve that mystery and a couple of others on the Big Island.
Mysteries Set in Hawaii
Book One in a Nitty Gritty Mystery Series
Hawaii is palm trees, black sand and blue water—but for policewoman Lei Texeira, there’s a dark side to paradise.
Lei has overcome a scarred past to make a life for herself as a cop in the sleepy Big Island town of Hilo. On a routine patrol she finds two murdered teenagers—one of whom she’d recently busted. With its echoes of her own past, the murdered girl’s harsh life and tragic death affect Lei deeply. She becomes obsessed—even as the killer is drawn to Lei's intensity, feeding off her vulnerabilities and toying with her sanity.
- Blood Orchids by Toby Neal - A grisly group of murders on the Big Island of Hawaii and set mostly in Hilo. The lady cop, Lei Texiera, is also being stalked by some psychopathic bad guys. She has a troubled history, but one that makes her perfect for solving these grisly crimes.
- Torch Ginger - Book Two in the Lei Texiera series of eight books so far. Along with a developing love story between Lei and Stevens, Lei must investigate a bizarre series of cult type slayings on the beautiful and mystical island of Kaui. Lei goes undercover and nearly loses it all.
- Black Jasmine - Book Three. Set on the island of Maui, Lei investigates the beautiful and rich, as well as the ugly side of life in Hawaii. Maui is an island of great contrasts and hidden valleys. These books are hard to put down as you are swept up in the amazing culture and beauty that is our 50th state.
- Broken Ferns - Book Four. Lei joins the FBI as a special agent. She must catch a thief and learn to work with a team instead of doing things mostly on her own. The case attracts national attention as Lei follows up on all leads.
- Twisted Vine - Book Five. Lei continues her new career on the island of Oahu and meets a new friend. They get involved with the twisted world of the internet and puzzling suicides. Lei's past is also shadowing her at almost every turn.
- Shattered Palms - Book Six. This is one of the saddest books of the series as Lei and Pono investigate a series of rare bird thefts on Maui. The bird poaching leads to murders and Lei is the new Lieutenant in charge of homicide for the Maui police department.
- Dark Lava - Book Seven. After finally marrying the love of her life, Lei faces one of the biggest challenges that any new bride might have to face. Her new husband's ex-wife turns up dead. And someone is stealing priceless artifacts from Maui's Heiaus.
- Fire Beach - Book Eight - The case of the burial shrouds. Lei, Stevens and others surrounding her family have been receiving gifts of linen burial shrouds. Are they a joke? Or something very sinister. With Lei's luck, she might have to use some of the shrouds for her family.
Mysteries in Las Vegas
- Don't Be A Stranger - Valerie Inkerman is a Private Investigator in Las Vegas. She's new on the job, but rapidly gaining experience as murder and mayhem are a constant in 'sin city'. The best part about this series is that Valerie is really funny and these books are just so much fun to read!
Other books in the series are just as easily read in any order, so I have just provided a list here:
- Green Eyes in Las Vegas - book two
- Red Roses in Las Vegas - book three
- Innocent in Las Vegas
- Fake it till You Make it
© 2015 Austinstar
More by this Author
Watership Down is a book of friendship, family, friends and loyalty. The book is capable of changing one's life. People who have read this book remain adamant that it is the best book they have ever read.
Best selling author Douglas E Richards is honest and open enough to accept friend requests on his personal facebook page. He is a prolific author and has written at least 3 best selling novels.
Top 10 very effective uses for distilled white vinegar. Cure ringworm, athlete's foot, soothe insect bites, help for yeast infections and more...