Dr. Seuss Wisdom And Books
Born Theodor Seuss Geigel to parents Theodor Roberts Geigel and Henrietta Seuss Geigel on March 2,1904. Springfield, Massachusetts was the place and Howard Street was where their family home was located. He saw the world as being filled with mystery and wonder, it can be seen in all that he writes. Many years would pass before Theodor Seuss Geigel would become known as Dr.Seuss and the imaginations of children became richer for it.
What's in a name
Theodor (Ted) left his hometown (Springfield) as a teenager and went straight to college. While attending Dartmouth College he later became editor-in-chief of Dartmouth's humor magazine name the Jack-O-Lantern. Because of Prohibition laws and school policy the drinking of alcohol was forbidden; a drinking incident (party) involving Theodor and about nine of his friends caused him to give up his position on the magazine.Dean Craven Laycock insisted that he give up all of his extracurricular activities. Although he could not actively work at the magazine he still wanted to contribute, and in order to keep contributing without the administration's knowledge he would sign his work "Seuss". This is the beginning of the Seuss pseudonym. A name which is a combination of his mother's maiden name and his middle name. Although he was not really a doctor, the addition of it only gave more character to his pseudonym.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bi
Contributions and credits
It is his mother who he credits for his desire and ability to create rhymes. Although he (Dr.Seuss) is well known for books like: The Cat In The Hat, Green Eggs And Ham, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish and How The Grinch Stole Christmas he had written and illustrated over 44 children's books before his death in 1991. Over 200 million copies of his books have been sold; they have been translated into 15 different languages. His contributions to children/books has led him to be credited with the Pulitzer Prize, 2 Emmys, 2 Academy awards and a Peabody award.
The National Read Across America Day have adopted his birthday (March 2). Not only are his books inspiring to children with a needed lesson to learn at the end of each story but they are inspiring to adults as well.
The Cat In The Hat
Quotes by Dr. Seuss:
Dr. Seuss has also become well known for some of his memorable quotes.
- Today you are you, that's truer than true.there is no one alive who is youer than you.
- Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
- Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
- You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
- Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
- The more that you read.the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you will go.
- A person is a person no matter how small.
- I meant what I said and I said what I meant.
- You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
- Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.
- I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
- Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!
- All alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you'll be quite a lot!
- They say I'm old-fashioned, and live in the past, but sometimes I think progress progresses too fast!
- I'm afraid that sometimes you'll play lonely games too. Games you can't win 'cause you'll play against you.
I meant what I said and I said what I meant.....
If you have children, grand-children or the neighbor's children about the house, you may be interested in visiting Seussville. It is filled with games, videos, books, characters and more all geared to a safe travel for your little ones: http://www.seussville.com/#/home
One thing that has always stood out about Dr. Seuss books is that they are kid friendly with wholesome lessons. His rhyming way of writing tends to entertain the minds of children and make them want to read on. You will never have to worry about what your child is reading if they have a Dr. Seuss book in their hand.
More by this Author
Sometimes the trails and tribulations of life can knock us down. We don't always know how to get back up.Especially when your very survival is haunted by death. But just know that you are not alone.
He owns so much that people no longer ask what he owns but what is it that he doesn't own. With all that he owned he was not happy, and one morning at age 55 it came to him that he was Godless.
Our children are our precious cargo. To insure their safety we need to educate ourselves about the proper child safety seats. What you don't know may frighten you.