Marketing My Self-Published Books
I was perusing the question section of hub pages and I found an interesting question that I just felt I should write a hub about. Fact is: I am dealing with the same issue right now and I am hoping that by writing this hub, it will give me more inspiration to "go for it".
As I have self-published myself, I am always looking for ways to market my books.
I first want to explain a couple points that will make the task of marketing much easier. I discovered some of these after publishing my first book: and discovered all the mistakes I made. Grandpas Mission
Lets take a look at those first.
First and foremost, you should use a reputable firm to print your book. I use Createspace and am very happy with them. They are very helpful and actually help in many ways to market your book.
Usually, you will want the final draft in PDF. It is very important that you make sure and follow all the rules on margins so that your script won't bleed out and be unreadable. Use a font that is easy to read and the size is important too. Always consider the type of readership you will have and appeal to those type of personalities.
The front cover and any pictures/artwork should "fit" the book. The description on the back is very, very important. The back is what many people read first and will "make or break" whether they buy it or not.
Keep in mind, that making your book full-color will make the cost go up substantially. That was one big mistake I made on my first.
Now, lets move on to marketing strategies.
Where to Market
I have found many ways to market my books. Lets go through a list one by one.
- Your own web site; Createspace furnishes a sub domain from their web site for each book you publish. It is very helpful and by putting proper tags in, you will jump up in Google search quite quick.
- E-mail: Share them with your whole email list. Be careful not to "spam" but just explain what you have written about and furnish a link to the web site your book or books is on.
- Facebook: I share them in my status and tag the people that I think may have an interest. Facebook is a great marketing tool.
- Twitter: Always tweet each of your books. It doesn't hurt to do that about once per week.
- Pinterest: Pin your book and the cover picture. It helps!
- Direct Marketing: Buy a load of your own books and hit the streets. Go to the people and places your book targets. Maybe hit the corner stores and sell them some copies at a discount so they can make a markup and everyone wins.
- Libraries: Donate your book to local libraries. Maybe do a book signing somewhere in your community.
- Amazon: For me, Createspace is owned by Amazon and self-published books are listed there. Be sure and get your books on Amazon. Amazon sells books!
- Make business cards: List all your published books on them and hand them to people who may have an interest.
- Through Createspace, we also can publish our books on Amazon Kindle. Many people don't buy normal books anymore, but have gone to E-books. Make yours an E-book too.
- Ok, if you haven't figured it out yet... Last but never least...Write a hub about them. Hub pages has been a great source to sell my books.
There are many ways. Look deep down inside.
What demographics would want to read my book?
Where to go? Who to talk to?
Just use common sense and the light bulb will turn on. You wrote it, now go sell it; it really isn't that hard.
Now that you have read my answer through this hub, I know you want to read my books. I have many in the works, but the links up and to the right are all books I have authored. Buy one and keep this Frog eating flies. A starving Frog can be a dangerous Frog.
Just (Ribbit) Joking!!!!
© G.L. Boudonck
More by this Author
What are the Boy Scouts? This hub explains the organization.
Children are our future and there are freaks killing them. Lets catch these evil beings and send them all to hell.
This hub describes the different political parties and their views. Written before the last Presidential election, it still gives people insight. Updated now for the most current Presidential election