My Favorite Childhood StoryBook-Brer Rabbit Again
Brer Rabbit Again !
Do you rent a book or purchase story book?See results without voting
Brer Rabbit Dream Image
How I found Brer Rabbit story books?
Renting story books
During my childhood days, my mom used to send my brother and I to a book rental shop, located in the middle of town area.
I remembered vividly that this particular bookshop allowed readers to rent a book for a mere 50 cents a week, without any deposit required.
Unlike nowadays, you need to pay $2 to rent a book for a week and a deposit is compulsory, in case you disappear in mid air with the rented book!
The story books I had read
Back then, there was a vast number of children story books, fiction and non-fiction books, magazines and great comic books in two commonly used languages; English and Chinese.
A great choice to choose from different categories. I have read most of Enid Blyton’s book, ranging from Noddy, The Little brown Bear and other stories, The Adventures of Binkle and Flip, Naughty Amelia Jane! And many more.
However, none of them are able to beat my favorite storybook, Brer Rabbit Again, which had formed a major part in my reading habit during my childhood days.
I love to read story books over and over again because reading is my passion and I enjoy the character very much.
However I just finished re-reading The Adventures of Brer Rabbit and Friends as retold by performing storyteller Karima Amin, and it was like drinking a magic spring tonic. Instantly, I found myself transported to the warm, sun-drenched, dreamy world of Brer Rabbit and his myriad animal neighbors. The text of each story wraps and winds its way around the lush color illustrations by Eric Copeland, with a sprinkling of big, bold, bouncy exclamations of "Bookity-Bookity", "Splishy-splushy", and "Lippity-clippety" jumping out to grab your attention at just the right moment. The stories have a universal appeal because they reflect the "life lessons" we all struggle to learn when growing up - to pay attention, to get along with your neighbors, to use your natural abilities, to take time to laugh. Of course, these stories didn't appear out of thin air and the book includes insightful background on the historical context of these classic African American tales and their even-earlier African origins. The only way the publishers could have improved upon this well-done project would have been to offer a cassette or cd/book read-along package. That would have allowed readers the pleasure of following along as Karima Amin brings to life these charming oral tradition folk tales.
Buy The Adventures of Brer Rabbit and Friends
Enid Blyton, a genius author
A Brief History About The Author
- Enid Mary Blyton is a Briton children’s writer, famous for Noddy, Brer Rabbit and Famous Five .
- She was also known as Mary Pollock for some of her story books.
- Enid Mary Blyton was born in 1897, South London.
- She was the eldest among the three children and she was discovered to have an early talent in music and reading.
- She had her education in St.Christopher’s School in Benkenham, but she did not pursue her music interest.
- Instead, she was trained as a kindergarten teacher at Ipswich High School and taught for five years.
- In 1924, she married to her editor husband, Hugh Pollock. That is how she had her named “ Mary Pollock ”.
- They bored two daughters but their marriage fell apart and had a divorce in 1939.
- Years later, Enid Mary Blyton remarried to a surgeon, Kenneth Fraser Darrell Waters, whom she had a happy and blissful marriage.
- Unfortunately, as her age caught up, she was afflicted by Aizheimer’s disease.
- Her health deteriorated after her second husband died in 1967.
- She passed away at age 71 in Greenways Nursing Home, located in London.
Brer Rabbit's Rival Characters
Brer Rabbit Again
During my childhood days, I don’t own many books because my family was not well off. I had to make a pact with my mom to score good grades for my studies in order for her to agree to buy for me Brer Rabbit Again .
To tell you the truth, I had to burn midnight oil for weeks and with determination, I managed to obtain my very first book, Brer Rabbit Again with so much joy.
I was touched by Brer Rabbit tales because the simple stories were enchanting, interesting, full of excitement, always involved with nature’s wonders such as birds, wild animals, flowers and captivating forest.
- Brer Rabbit is a well-known trickster by nature, gifted with a quick thinking tiny brain, who often outwits his three common rivals; Brer Fox, Brer Wolf and Brer Bear.
- Brer Rabiit is a typical gentle rabbit who helps around his friends and best buddy, Brer Terrapin, whenever they are in trouble.
- When the greedy Brer Fox and Brer Wolf tried to lay traps to capture the poor animals, Brer Rabbit always happen to be nearby somewhere or overheard their conversation while sneaking around the bushes.
- With his witty tongue and intelligent brainy ideas, he manages to outwit Brer Fox and Brer Wolf by luring them into his booby traps, convincing them with his sense of humor stories and his superb acting skills.
- By the end of the day, Brer Rabiit saves his friends from captivity and is always held as the hero among the forest animals.
- As a child, I was always engrossed to Brer Rabbit tales as they have brought me joy, comfort, transported my imagination to their world, a great place to escape in order to find out wild adventures and humorous solutions to sticky problems, which he often gets into trouble with his three rivals. I love Brer Rabiit for his courteous attitude, full of confidence in his actions, loyalty to his friends and always protect his family from harm.
Delighted to have found this book, which was part of my introduction to the world of mystery. Now that I'm a mystery author myself, I appreciate it even more. I loved Enid Blyton.I have been an Enid blyton collector since 1979. She is a great children novelist and her stories teaches good community values.
My first collection of over 200 Enid Blytons was lost, it was devastating. I started a new collection from 2002 and now I have 46 Enid Blytons. It was very difficult to find The Rockingdown Mystery, it hasn't been published for 3 years.
Buy Rockingdown Mystery Story Book
Other Brer Rabbit Story Books That I Have
A Summarize Story of Brer Fox Sells His Family
In Brer Rabbit Again story book, there are 38 different tales for you to enjoy reading his wonderful adventures in the forest. One of my favorite tale was "Brer Fox Sells His Family ". Here, I would like to share with you the summarized story.
Due to bad times, Brer Rabbit and Brer Fox, both agreed to sell their families, in order to buy some corn with the money.
Hence, Brer Fox caught his wife and cubs. He tied them up and put them under his wagon seat.
On the other hand, Brer Rabbit had other plans in mind. He planned to trick Brer Fox into giving him the corn and rescue his family at the same time.
The witty Brer Rabbit put his tied up family at the back of the wagon and gave an excuse to guard his family from creating a big fuss.
Now, since Brer Fox was at the driver seat, riding the horse and the wagon, Brer Rabbit quickly released his family members and promptly accompanied Brer Fox, so that he will not be alerted of Brer Rabbit's tricks.
Brer Fox's wife tried to hint her husband about the rabbits' escape by singing a short poem but Brer Fox ignored her.
When Brer Fox realized that Brer Rabbit's family was gone, Brer Rabbit accused Brer Fox's family for eating up his children and wife.
The sly Brer Rabbit demanded for his share of corn. No matter how hard Brer Fox's wife tried to explain, all the words turn to deaf ear and her husband sold them off to the market.
In the end, Brer Rabbit had his share of corn and enjoyed with his family back home.
Rows of books written by Enid Blyton
- I love Brer Rabbit intelligent concept of "Hitting two birds with one stone".
- A brilliant plan to trick Brer Fox into believing his story while getting what he wanted and saved his own family at the same time.
- Most people are using this concept in marketing strategies to earn big bucks.
A Russian Story folktale
More articles written by @peachpurple related to kids
- Best Russian Fairy Tales- The Twelve Passengers ( The Twelve Months)
Great stories for children, bedtime stories and favourite Aesop Fables stories.
- Russian Story for Kids: The Queen of Riddles
Russian fables are actually mythic fiction stories which are not true. They are short story fairy tales with moral for kids to learn about good deeds. The benefits of reading fairy tale stories to children are these stories teaches moral values to pr
- 5 Tips to stop your kids from watching too much TV
Children who watch too much television have disrupted sleep patterns, ... Having a TV in the bedroom may keep your kids quiet, but you lose If your children spend considerably more time watching favorite shows and ... Avoid using the television as "b
- Let Children Play On Their Own
Children love to play toys. It doesn't matter what type of toys because they help to keep the children entertained and they learn to spend some time on their own. Children never give up easily when they face any problem especially in the mid of playi
- How To Get Your Kids To Do Homework Without Nagging
Having problem with kids not doing homework? How do you encourage kids to do homework? Try making the environment cozy, quit nagging, make sure kids are not hungry and let them rest at interval time.
© 2012 peachy
More by this Author
Russian fables are actually mythic fiction stories which are not true. They are short story fairy tales with moral for kids to learn about good deeds. The benefits of reading fairy tale stories to children are these...
Great stories for children, bedtime stories and favourite Aesop Fables stories.
Make a personalized birthday card for your little niece, precious daughter or a friend's baby girl on her birthday. Beautiful and cute birthday card which is simple and doesn't cost you anything but lots of love and...