Oddities of English
Our Funny Language
In a previous Hub I reprinted a joke involving a misunderstanding over a single word. Here are some more oddities of the English language that a friend found and forwarded to me. If these don't make sense at first, try reading them out loud.
Can you read these right the first time?
1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
- Hassle Free Clip Art.com: site offering free clip art in such categories as animal, fashion. school,
Site offering free clip art without the hassle of pop-ups, runaround links, and annoying sign-up forms.
More by this Author
A review of Marcia Brown's 1947 children's classic book Stone Soup.
A photo of a mountain taken by a soldier 50 years earlier leads family to solving mystery of his disappearance in the Pacific Theater in World War II.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE234
With so many Americans traveling and working abroad to say nothing of meeting people via the Internet, it is not surprising that many are finding love and marrying someone from abroad. Here is how to legally bring your...