Ode To The Diminished Dollar
My life as a dollar is shrinking each day
And if it continues I'll soon lose my way
I've tried, how I've tried to give all I'm worth
But my value is not what it was at my birth
I remember the time I brought smiles to a child
Now nobody wants me I'm tossed or just filed
Do you know what it's like to be needed no more?
To be crumbled and wadded and thrown to the floor?
To fall from a higher position in life?
My friends, let me tell you it cuts like a knife
The Diminished Value Of A Dollar Bill
The Dollar Could Once Clothe The Poor
My brother, the five, is starting to feel
He's losing his worth we just don't fill the bill
I long for the days men would work for my clan
My confidence glowed I was part of a plan
Then there was a time the poor could be fed
I contributed food and plenty of bread
I clothed an old man to keep out the cold
In those days you see a dollar was gold
And when Christmas came was the best time of all
I was stuffed in a stocking right next to the ball
Trees Have As Much Right To Our Planet As We Do
Now I have learned I come from a tree
This makes me sad 'cause a tree should be free
To grow and to live and do what trees do
And keep our air clean and every sky blue
My number is up I'll soon be replaced
There will be no more dollars to spend or to waste
And if you should happen to find an old dollar
Remember that once It was worth a big holler.
Never forget me I've done all I can
I tried but still failed to bring peace to all men
Replace The Dollar Bill?
On November 29, 2012, a House subcommittee met to consider replacing the dollar bill. This action took place after the seventh Government Accountability Office report on the subject. The latest report claimed that switching to dollar coins would save $4.4 billion over thirty years.
However, according to polls, few Americans want to give up dollar bills. Recent budgets passed by Congress have included provisions to prevent the Treasury Department from spending any of its funds to redesign the one dollar bill, largely because of potential cost impacts on the vending machine industry.
A Few Facts About The One Dollar Bill
- Paper type - 75% cotton and 25% linen
- In 1862: The first one-dollar bill was issued as a Legal Tender Note (United States Note) with a portrait of Salmon P. Chase, the Secretary of the Treasury under President Abraham Lincoln.
- In 1929, all currency was changed to its current size.
- For the most part, the U.S. Bureau of Engraving and Printing will redeem mutilated dollar bills as long as you still have more than half of the note.
- A 2002 study found that 94 percent of bills are contaminated with bacteria (mostly benign) and seven percent with dangerous pathogens, such as those that cause pneumonia and staph infections.
- Scientific research conducted in 2009 found that 90 percent of U.S. bills have been contaminated by cocaine
- The inclusion of “In God We Trust” on all United States currency was required by law in 1955. The national motto first appeared on paper money in 1957.
Wikipedia.com/the dollar bill
The man who will use his skill and constructive imagination to see how much he can give for a dollar, instead of how little he can give for a dollar, is bound to succeed.— Henry Ford
Take A Quick Break - Sing Along To The Greenback Dollar
How Do You Feel About The Dollar Bill?See results without voting
© 2016 Audrey Hunt
More by this Author
Writing your childhood memories to record your history will give your posterity an accurate introduction to you. Share your fun, truthful ad interesting memories. Here's how to get started.
Overcome pain using the power of your mind. A new way to control pain. These suggestions worked for me during the most physically painful time of my life. When pain killers failed me, I turned to my own mind. It worked!
I hate my voice! If you're one of the many people who feel this way, you've come to the right place because you're about to learn why you hate your voice and how to fix it.