Perseverance and Goals - You Can't Have One Without The Other
How to help set yourself up to persevere.
The first step would be to set some goals. Start with the small day by day goals. You need to set goals that you can obtain, that are realistic. If you are writing, you can't set a goal to support yourself in the first year. It is unrealistic and most likely unobtainable. You need to start small, possibly setting goals for writing on a blog and maybe an article or two for a magazine. The important thing is to not set yourself up for failure.
You will need to set up some short term and long term goals. Say you want to write a book. You can't just sit down and write one. You need to put yourself out there and set some experience writing. Short term goals would be in the area of, to begin with, a blog certain number of blogs per week, make it a realistic number. After a month or two set a goal for writing a number of pages per week.
Of course, making goals is great but of no use if you don't follow them. There will be day when you just plain don't feel like messing with writing, when it seems like nothing is going right. This is the time when you need to make up your mind that you need to keep moving on. Perseverance is the answer. If you give up and take the day off every time you feel like it you will never reach your ultimate goal.
Perseverance and Goal Setting
Perseverance is an extremely important factor in reaching your goals. When you find yourself having a hard time reaching your goals perseverance is what will make the difference between getting there or failing. Sometimes you need to to re-evaluate or take a break from the goals you have set.
You may have to change your approach. Sometimes in our effort to reach our goals we find ourselves do the same thing over and over and not progressing. When this happens you need to change your way of reaching your goal. Don't give up just try a new approach. You may not know exactly how you will succeed but with persistance andd perseverance you have a much better chance of getting there. Sometimes just one or two little changes in your approach to your goals will amaze you.
- I do not think there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature. ~ John D. Rockefeller
- Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance. ~ Samuel Jackson
- I won't give up 'til goats sing and walruses fly. - Jonathan Lockwood Huie
- The difference between a successful person and others in not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of determination. ~ Vince Lombardi
- Men fail much oftener from want of perseverance than from want of talent. ~ William Cobbett
- Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be obtained. ~ Marie Curie
- In the realm of ideas everything depends on enthusiasm; in the real world, all rests on perseverance. ~ Johann von Goethe
- Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb but how well you bounce. ~ Vivian Komori
- Perseverance is made up of patience, willpower, self discipline and self control. ~ Remez Sassson
- Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek. ~ Mario Andretti
- For all things difficult to acquire, the intelligent man works with perseverance. ~ Lao Tzu
- Without perseverance talent is a barren bed. ~ Welsh Proverb
- People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them. ~ G. B. Shaw
- Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems off the human race. ~ Calvin Coolidge
- I am kind of a burr; I shall stick. ~ William Shakespeare
- With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable. ~ Sir Thomas Foxwell Buxton
- A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres, and infallibly prevails at last. ~ Lord Chesterfield
- Perseverance, secret of all triumphs. ~ Victor Hugo
- To persevere, trusting in what hopes he has, is courage in a man. The coward despairs. ~ Euripides
- Energy and persistence conquer all things. ~ Benjamin Franklin
- Genius is divine perseverance. Genius I cannot claim not even extra brightness but perseverance all can have. ~ Woodrow Wilson
- Perseverance is like driving a bulldozer that moves on and on, removing all obstacles on the way. ~ Remez Sasson
- It takes twenty years to make an overnight success. ~ Eddie Cantor
- Of all that is good, sublimity is supreme. Succeeding is the coming together of all that is beautiful. Furtherance is the agreement of all that is just. Perseverance is the foundation of all actions. ~ Lao Tzu
- The characteristic of a genuine heroism is its persistency. All men have wandering impulses, fits and starts of generosity. But when you have resolved to be great, abide by yourself, and do not weakly try to reconcile yourself with the world. The heroic cannot be common, nor the common the heroic. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- I had a doctrine, to which I owe not much, indeed, but all the little I ever had, namely, that with ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable. ~ Sir T. F' Buxton
- If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying. "Here comes number seventy-one!" ~ Richard M. Devos
- Adversity, and perseverance and all these things can shape you. They can give you a value and a self-esteem that is priceless. ~ Scott Hamilton
- There are two roads that lead to an important goal and to the doing of great things: strength and perseverance. Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time. ~ Johann von Goethe
What is perseverance?
- the choice to keep trying even after failing
- essential to success
- takes a lot of stubbornness
- thick skinned
- never giving up
- also known as tenacity
- a habit of pushing forward
- a steady persistence
- a belief in yourself
- a continued effort to achieve
- commitment and hard work
- strength of character
- You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream. - C. S. Lewis
- The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them. - Denis Watley
- If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. - Henry David Thoreau
- Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and on which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success. - Stephen A. Brennan
- Life takes on a meaning when you become motivated, set goals, and charge after them in an unstoppable manner. - Les Brown
- Reach high, for stars lie hidden in you. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal. - Rabindranath Tagore
- Great things have not been done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. - Vincent Van Gogh
- If you want to live a happy life tie it to goals not people or things. - Albert Einstein
- Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement. - Brian Tracy
Light-hearted Goal Quotes
- Never tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon. - Unknown
- If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else. - Lawrence J. Peter
- Aim high in case you fall short. - Suzanne Collins
- A year from now you may wish you had started today. - Karen Lamb
- Give me a stock clerk with a goal and I'll show you a man that will make history. Give me a man with no goals and I'll give you a stock clerk. J. C. Penney
- Great ideas need landing wheels as well as dreams. C. D. Jackson
- A goal without a plan is just a wish. - Larry Elder
- Goal Setting Worksheet
A useful goal setting worksheet to help you gain clarity and take action.
- Inspirational Stories – The Perseverance of a Spid...
We all need inspirational and motivational stories and quotes to keep fighting every day. Perseverance is the key for success in life. Here is a simple motivational story a king received from a spider.
- Why Perseverance and Grit Trump Intelligence as the ...
Research by Dr. Angela Duckworth explains why perseverance and passion are more important drivers of success than is intelligence or even talent. The world is full of people with high IQ's who don't end up doing much with their lives. On the other ha
- Let Perseverance Be Your Guide To A HubNugget
When I first started forming this hub is my mind I can up with several differ ways to present it. The more I thought about it the more I was stymied as to the direction to take. I knew the subject was the one I wanted but I was so sure about how I...
More by this Author
Baby showers are fun and full of promise. A special gift at this time is especially appreciated.
Remember that special aunt or uncle that always showed how much they cared? Now you can show them how much you care by sending them a loving quote.
The Supreme Court of the U.S. met for the first time on February 1, 1790. Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809. Super Bowl XLIV will be held February 6th at the Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas. On...