Phrase Finder: A Cool Tool From The UK
Have A Question About What Phrase To Use?
• Want to learn about the meaning or the origin of the words you use, maybe whether a word came from that writer named Shakespeare or perhaps whether it has a nautical background?
• Would you like to receive a "Phrase a Week" so you can know why someone might answer a question you ask about your new boss with, "He's a loose cannon," or so you can find out what is behind the phrase, "Between a rock and a hard spot?"
• How about asking a Phrase Thesaurus to find you a synonym for words that are not in your high school thesaurus but which would help you win that next Scrabble game?
• Maybe you want to peruse a list of famous last words from people who had the chance to make final statements, or it might be that you would like to examine 122 or so phrases that come from the Bible?
Be it for entertainment or educational purposes, Phrase Finder's website may just fit the bill for your needs!
An Across-the-Board Useful Writing Aid
I’ve been trying to write a short little something for each of my grandchildren--a little love note, really, for their future. Coming across a new-to-me on-line language tool (which is linked in the last paragraph of this hub), I’ve been having some fun poking around the site's features.
While I’ve written some hubs about words and phrases, a few creative pieces, and some book reviews (more in the links below this hub) sites like this appeal to me on several levels, one of which is that they ignite interesting ideas for future writing. Being one who enjoys words, finding this site has been a distraction from the main goal that caused me to stumble upon it.
One very interesting aspect of the website is the section for “A Phrase A Week.” If you sign up you can automatically receive a new phrase each week, obviously, with a fair explanation of the phrase's meaning and maybe its origin. This resource is researched and updated frequently. This section of Phrase Finder also offers a page of recent weeks' phrases.
When I checked out the phrase “five o’clock shadow” I was surprised and delighted by how much information was provided. I knew it probably had a long history, but I did not know the details of its evolution. This is the kind of info that can be stored in one’s head for random conversations (often to the surprise of listeners), but which would also be very handy for writers to take advantage of because of its thoroughness.
Understanding What We Hear And ReadClick thumbnail to view full-size
As an American, I grew up in the 60s-70s taking the phrase “it doesn’t take a rocket scientist” for granted, thinking I understood the obvious. However, I wish I had known the origin of that phrase long before now for it would have been useful to me many times over. Now, thanks to this web tool, not only am I in the know, but I am having to tear myself away from this curious collection of old sayings.
The chance to learn more about phrases I’ve grown up with, and to learn new ones from other countries and cultures in such an easy format is almost more than I can say no to, but I must pace myself in order to get other things done, such as the notes to my grandchildren that I started, and laundry, and gardening, and cleaning and cooking and...oh, but words are such fun no matter what topic we are discussing!
Phrase Finder is a cool tool that can be utilized by anyone interested in or who has a need to know more about words since it is the sort of site that sets a standard for other web sites. Take a look at its Phrase Thesaurus but be warned, you may decide to buy into the opportunity without blinking twice.
Get to Know a Special Author:
Just The Right Phrase Counts!
Check Out Phrase Finder!
See for yourself what a great resource it can be by giving the trial a chance to show you all of Phrase Finder's unique features.
Use it to hone your word skills (even if you only want more fodder for playing word games), and to increase your knowledge base for both work and social interaction.
You might be interested in what's available to everyone at Phrase Finder's site, but then again, you also just might find yourself enjoying it entirely too much!
On English Phrases:
A Few More Hubs full of Meaningful Words:
Joining HubPages gave me the chance to begin honing my writing skills and learning about online writing. Interacting with other hubbers and readers from outside the community via comments has been educational as well as enjoyable.
Wanting to practice various types of creative writing, focus on crucial topics for the society we live in, practice some instructional writing, and more closely examine topics that are important to me personally all worked together to provide me with a body of hubs that I continue to work on and add to.
The variety-pack list below contains examples of some of the posts that have proved to be interesting on more than one level:
- Accents On A Comfortable Heritage: Southern Ways ...kindness is the standard for accomplished southerners yet there are times when righteous indignation is the order of the day.
- Paint a Dresser: New Life for an Old Piece of Furniture Salvaging an old dresser doomed for destruction turned out to be a creative experience from start to finish of this hub.
- Playing Nice: What's the Truth? It is hard to believe that the utterly stupid idea, “be nice and others will be nice to you” is still taught to children. Playing nice is important, as long as they play nice safely. Safety first should always be the rule, and children are at risk...
- Cooking with HubPages: Recipes, Learning, and Laughter Cooking, for some of us, is an evolving process that lasts a lifetime. The faux pas can give real pause for thought and sharing them can give a needed laugh!
- Home for the Holidays, Number 6 in a Series of Short Stories: Christmas Fudge This is the sixth in a Home for the Holidays series of individual short stories. What do you think this son does?
- A HubPages Milestone 100/500 Other HubPages writers willingly help fellow hubbers reach milestones. Working to achieve goals is rewarded with success.
- Perspectives on the Needy and Homeless Think through questions about how best to help these people.
- Truth Quotes: Everyone is Entitled to their own Opinion, but not Their own Facts Playing games with truth is the worst kind of Russian-roulette, yet the topic of truth is rarely even discussed.
- Mountain Breezes from Amy Carmichael: A Gift of Poetry Became a Friend Receiving this book in a very dark time of life was part of a life-saving process I went through during the early days of holding on to God by my fingertips through a difficult experience.
- Poems Drawn from Suffering The darkest days of our lives can be faith-building experiences if we look to the Author of our lives with the hope that He tells us to hold on to as we look to Him to be our Stronghold.
- Truth Quotes: Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. Playing games with truth is the worst kind of Russian-roulette, yet the topic of truth is rarely even discussed.
- Prisoners and Facebook are a Questionable Mix: Social Networking and Criminals Why aren't we asking more questions about the opportunity for inmates to continue their criminal activities via social media?
- Acetaminophen and Liver Failure: Paracetamol and Tylenol Side Effects What we do not know about over the counter pain meds can be worse than surprising. Make sure you are aware of the facts on safety issues pertaining to these pain killers.
• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ •
Like to write? Like to learn?
• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ •
More by this Author
A book for all seasons of life, "The Incomparable Christ" by J. Oswald Sanders delivers insights that help us apply the truths that Jesus lived out to our todays.
Receiving a gift that truly means far more than anything money could ever buy often comes at a most unexpected time, and sometimes in unexpected ways. Discover this couple's unexpected gift!
If you have struggled with thyroid hormone replacement medications like Synthroid, generics, and other alternatives you may find Tirosint to be the solution you need.