Poetry | Three Gates From The Arabian Poem
A Poetry Project
I've been thinking about my grandchildren who have moved far away. How can I keep in touch with them and create a lasting bond? What can bring us together in an educational, pleasurable way and create a love of lasting beauty?
I am indebted to my mother for reading poetry to me as a young child. What touched me most was the rhythm of the words, their musical quality. Not so much the meaning because I was a slow learner, even dyslexic and had trouble in school. But, I do believe a few special poems have remained in my memory. Some flowery, others tell a tale, many rhyme and some surprise!
On a recent occasion, I had the chance to put the children to bed, and instead of reading the typical storybook, I pulled out a poetry anthology. Even though the comprehension level and vocabulary quite above them, it introduces mystery, a challenge, the 'sound' like music to their ears. With interest they could ask questions about the metaphors, the meaning of words and wait while I purposely paused during the reading.
Now that they have gone, I'm wondering if I can reach out to the children through the telephone, email and the internet? This begins the adventure together, I hope. I have taken the first step and we shall see what happens. You may ride along and even bring you children. The very first poem is called, "THREE GATES."
If you are tempted to reveal
A tale to you someone has told
About another, make it pass,
Before you speak, three gates of gold.
These narrow gates: First, "Is it true?"
Then, "Is it needful?" In your mind
Give truthful answer. And the next
Is last and narrowest, "Is it kind?"
And if to reach your lips at last
It passes through these gateways three,
Then you may tell the tale, nor fear
What the result of speech may be.
History of the Poem
Wikipedia | In the 1830's Chauncy Hare Townshend [1811-1869] studied mesmerism with Charles Dickens and dedicated "The Three Gates" (1859) in his name.
Mesmerism | Animals have a type animal charisma, a form of magnetism and have this ability to connect through this hypnotic state with others. Led by Franz Mesmer, a group of British colleague developed and practiced this art form of magnetism. They called the clinical techniques "mesmerism" to distinguish themselves from other types of hypnotism.
Samuel Hahnemann, founder of homeopathy, also practiced this art form as a medical technique. In fact, it seems very closely allied to what many practice as Reiki today. The original mesmerists also used the "laying on of hands," and like qigong reported effects included various feelings: intense heat, trembling, and even trances, and seizures.
HEY! IF YOU HAVE READ ALL THE WAY DOWN TO HERE VOTE
Have you heard this poem before?See results without voting
- Poetry | The Sidewalks of New York
A famous poem, lyrics and song by two names. The Sidewalks of New York and East Side West Side All around the town. Famous them of New York City. A reading and notes.
About the Author
Debby Bruck, CHOM founded Homeopathy World Community social network. Debby believes that homeopathy is the wave of the future that provides hope and healing to those who have tried every other approach. Follow Debby on Twitter.
Disclaimer: This Information is for Educational Purposes Only
- The information on this blogsite is posted for educational purposes only, and not intended to constitute medical or legal advice. As with any important medical or legal matter, you are advised to consult an experienced health care provider and/or knowledgeable attorney concerning your specific health & vaccine exemption or waiver concerns.
- No attorney-client relationship or doctor-patient relationship is intended, implied or created by the posting or viewing of information on this site; nor is a doctor-patient or an attorney-client relationship created by the submission or exchange of questions or information via email or otherwise with Debby Bruck
- Readers are responsible for their use of information provided on this blog or linked to from this site. Debby Bruck assumes no liability for the same.
- Debby Bruck has made reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of information on this blog site, but absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
- Always check with your health care provider
More by this Author
Reading poems for my grandchildren. A Girl's Garden by Robert Frost and personal thoughts with original poetry.
The Sea Chest by poet Carl Sandburg lends itself to romantic imagery, perhaps a love triangle, a fulfilled or unfulfilled relationship between a man and a woman. Help me solve this mystery.
- 36Homeopathic Formic Ant Remedy Formica Rufa Relieves Rheumatic Arthritis Gout, Acid, Stings and Itching
Extensive article about homeopathy and other scientific facts related to one homeopathic remedy for arthritis, rheumatism, gout, stiff joints, weak vision, eczema, itching, hives, nettle rash, shingles, edema, headache,...