Review of "Duck & Goose: How Are You Feeling?" by Tad Hills
Understanding what you are feeling and determining how best to deal with that emotion can be difficult. This is particularly true for toddlers, who are simultaneously trying to master all life skills. As any parent of a toddler knows, toddlers can become easily frustrated and they often don't know how to express this frustration or even what is frustrating them. If your little one is having difficulty understanding or expressing (appropriately) his or her emotions I highly recommend Duck & Goose How are you feeling? by Tad Williams.
This delightful board book was published by Schwartz and Wade on January of 2009. Each of the twenty-two pages features charming illustrations of Duck and Goose displaying 10 different emotions. The emotions the book covers are:
Each emotion has at least one page devoted to it, featuring both the printed word and an illustration.
Reading the book with your child will present you with the opportunity to discuss emotions with your child. Begin by trying to instill an understanding of the emotion in your child. Describe a time when you or your child felt the emotion.
- You were angry when your sister stole your toy.
- You were frustrated when you couldn't get your shoes fastened.
- You were happy when you got a new toy.
- You were hopeful when we were looking at the toys in the store. You hoped Mommy would let you bring one home.
- You were loving when you gave Daddy a hug goodnight.
- You were patient when you waited for Mommy to finish her conversation.
- You were proud when you dressed yourself.
- You were sad when your toy got broken.
- You were scared when you didn't see Mommy with you.
- You were selfish when you wouldn't share with your sister.
After your child has an understanding of the meaning of the words you can begin discussing appropriate responses to those emotions. This will help encourage your child in a more positive way rather than always having to tell them no when he or she responds incorrectly.
- When you are angry at sister for stealing your toy you should tell her that you don't like it when she takes your toy. If sister won't return the toy then come talk to Mommy or Daddy.
- If you are frustrated with your shoes and can't get them fastened stop. Put on your coat first and then try again. If you are still having trouble ask Mommy or Daddy for help.
- It is good to be happy. Smile and share that happiness with the people around you.
- Being hopeful feels good inside. Share your hopes with Mommy and Daddy. Even if you can't get the toy that day Mommy and Daddy can talk to you about when we might get the toy. (This would also be a good time to address disappointment.)
- We like to be loving with our family, sharing hugs and kisses. (If it seems appropriate you can discuss appropriate displays of affection with family and friends versus acquaintances and strangers.)
- It is hard to be patient and wait for Mommy and Daddy. But when you are patient Mommy and Daddy can finish what they are doing more quickly and have more time to spend with you.
- When you are proud of yourself you can tell Mommy and Daddy so they can clap for you and give you hugs. If you are proud of a friend you can clap for your friend and give him or her hugs.
- When you are sad it is okay to cry, but we don't scream or yell. If you need a hug when you are sad come tell Mommy or Daddy.
- If you are scared remember God is always there with you. Then come find Mommy or Daddy and tell us what scared you.
- Sometimes we don't want to share because we are feeling selfish, but that doesn't mean we are allowed to hog all the toys. Sometimes we have to share our toys even when we don't want to share.
This board book had a lot of content for such a short book. Moreover, emotions and their proper responses are a subject on which we could all use a review. The pictures are appealing to youngsters (and their mothers) and clearly illustrated the emotion being presented. I found the book to be delightful and I hope you do too.
More by this Author
If you are a woman interested in hiking there are several things you should consider before starting out. How best to outfit yourself for the trip, sanatary concerns and safety and security. This article will address...
Specific ideas and plans for teaching children about Charlemagne, his place in history and on the globe.
Seven art lessons about Rembrandt featuring art history, art appreciation and art lessons focused on value, space and expressive features.
No comments yet.